Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
After the **** Gillard and Rudd have pulled since 2007, it boggles my mind why anyone even would give primary votes to ALP. They have hands down ruined everything that we had.

Was referring to at best for ALP; whether or not its for you is a separate question. There has been a resurgence in opinion polls of late for ALP; despite the ALP cluster#### we have witnessed obviously some people still think LNP either would not be any better or be worse, based on their values, situation etc. And being Australia, they have every right to that viewpoint. Everyone's different.....To me personally both parties are a crossover of eachother, my life, career, finances would not be seriously affected either way. Maybe ALP is philosophically open to gay marriage and republic, seems a bit more progressive. But ultimately my political preferences lie elsewhere.

Business analysis was purely a hypothetical situation, but even at such *astonishingly* high levels of tax Mr R is paying, he is probably still better off than most Australians and indeed the rest of humanity, so frankly I don't see why he should be upset in the grand scheme of things?

Next question - would the journey to a tax haven be thwarted by a LNP victory and *obvious* fiscal responsibility? Can understand if Mr R does not wish to mention that openly. UK brought in a conservative govt, they are still fecked......Australia is but a tiny fish in a big pond.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Was referring to at best for ALP; whether or not its for you is a separate question. There has been a resurgence in opinion polls of late for ALP; despite the ALP cluster#### we have witnessed obviously some people still think LNP either would not be any better or be worse, based on their values, situation etc. And being Australia, they have every right to that viewpoint. Everyone's different.....To me personally both parties are a crossover of eachother, my life, career, finances would not be seriously affected either way. Maybe ALP is philosophically open to gay marriage and republic, seems a bit more progressive. But ultimately my political preferences lie elsewhere.

Business analysis was purely a hypothetical situation, but even at such *astonishingly* high levels of tax Mr R is paying, he is probably still better off than most Australians and indeed the rest of humanity, so frankly I don't see why he should be upset in the grand scheme of things?

So what if I am or aren't better off than most Australians??? You sound like most of the left, falling into the trap of jealousy and envy and instead of elevating yourself, it's just easier to steal (metaphorically) it from somebody else. I can tell you that there are **many** that are far better off than I. Good luck to them. Just because they are, doesn't mean they should hand it over to me/everybody else. You make it out that somebody who has done well for themselves should be ashamed. If you don't understand why people get pissed off about handing over continually more tax, go and give $100 to some random you have never met. Then do it every week. Then work a bit harder/smarter and earn an extra $100 per week in your wages and go hand $50 of it to another random. Every week. Then down the track a bit, just because, go give another $20 a week to yet another random. It goes on and on.....

Next question - would the journey to a tax haven be thwarted by a LNP victory and *obvious* fiscal responsibility? Can understand if Mr R does not wish to mention that openly. UK brought in a conservative govt, they are still fecked......Australia is but a tiny fish in a big pond.

Impossible to say until I see their tax policy.

Reaper

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you don't understand why people get pissed off about handing over continually more tax, go and give $100 to some random you have never met. Then do it every week. Then work a bit harder/smarter and earn an extra $100 per week in your wages and go hand $50 of it to another random. Every week. Then down the track a bit, just because, go give another $20 a week to yet another random. It goes on and on.....

Reaper

Thats one helluva an idea for a youtube clip along the lines of 'free hugs' lol.....

I see where you are coming from but I'd be more than happy to pay back the tax that has been spent on my education, healthcare, highway construction, and other services I have used over time, that has/will make me successful. 'Reciprocal altruism'.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Gillard has no hope of getting another term on todays figures .. unless she has same major luck before September, or Abbot shoots himself in the foot yet again, she will lose.

A hung parliament is about as likely as Minux joining the communist party this time around. The greens wont be as much use this time, and the independents are unlikely to support her again.. those that don't go to jail first.

Rudd is gone. Now that an election is called, the ALP will not be changing leaders. Good political move on her part. The timing of the election is pretty handy too, given that budget figures will be released in October.

The wild card is still Abbot. Many Lib voters still hate him, despite their party preferences. His performance has been terrible, his inflammatory stance and refusal to provide any kind of financial figures to back up his promises is the most likely cause of any election failures at this point.

Lib diehards will flame me for this, demanding to know what is wrong with Abbot. My response.. there doesn't need to be anything wrong with him. He has a major public image problem.

My family are all basically Libs. They all dislike Abbot. My (now ex) father in law is a farmer who has voted LNP for nearly 70 years, and now says he will vote for Katter if Abbot remains at the helm. May whatever deity you worship help you if enough people move in the same direction... Katter holding the balance of power, it just makes me cringe.

I am hoping Turnbull makes a move on the Lib leadership. If he does so successfully, I'll vote Liberal. If Abbot is at the helm, I will stick with Gillard.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Gillard has no hope of getting another term on todays figures .. unless she has same major luck before September, or Abbot shoots himself in the foot yet again, she will lose.

A hung parliament is about as likely as Minux joining the communist party this time around. The greens wont be as much use this time, and the independents are unlikely to support her again.. those that don't go to jail first.

Rudd is gone. Now that an election is called, the ALP will not be changing leaders. Good political move on her part. The timing of the election is pretty handy too, given that budget figures will be released in October.

The wild card is still Abbot. Many Lib voters still hate him, despite their party preferences. His performance has been terrible, his inflammatory stance and refusal to provide any kind of financial figures to back up his promises is the most likely cause of any election failures at this point.

Lib diehards will flame me for this, demanding to know what is wrong with Abbot. My response.. there doesn't need to be anything wrong with him. He has a major public image problem.

My family are all basically Libs. They all dislike Abbot. My (now ex) father in law is a farmer who has voted LNP for nearly 70 years, and now says he will vote for Katter if Abbot remains at the helm. May whatever deity you worship help you if enough people move in the same direction... Katter holding the balance of power, it just makes me cringe.

I am hoping Turnbull makes a move on the Lib leadership. If he does so successfully, I'll vote Liberal. If Abbot is at the helm, I will stick with Gillard.

Do you mind if I ask what it is you despise so much about Tony Abbott that you would shift your entire vote to a party that has done nothing but display fiscal and monetary recklessness since the moment it got into government?

At the end of the day, the leader of a party is only a figure head, the ministers and party members as a whole is what is really important.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

I guess a country's PM is the nations rep on world stage. Look at Dubbya. He made the USA a laughing stock.......Gillard got global brownie points for the anti-sexism speech (whether or not it was warranted is another question)

Will be interesting where Greens preferences go. What got Adam Bandt over the line was that the local Libs and Greens did a preference deal. Seeing what happened here may get 1-2 more greens in the lower house but not holding my breath for anything meaningful......if it is the bloodbath people are predicting Greens will have no impact.

Katter is hilarious. reminds me of that crazy Texan out of the Simpsons LOL....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Greens will (hopefully) be irrelevant in the lower house but I think it's more than likely they will hold the balance of power in the senate and that is a bad thing. By most predictions Oakshott and Windsor are gone with Wilke the only one likely to have a job come the end of September.

No doubting Abbott has an image problem with the public. It'll be interesting to see if it hinders him, if he manages to change it or if he succeeds in winning, weather he carries himself as a PM is expected to once he is in the job. Interestingly similar things were said about Howard pre his '96 win. Once in the office he carried himself with dignity by most people's measure.

Reaper

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67

I don't get the obsession with Turnbull. I'll vote Lib's with Abbott as leader (although I'm not particularly impressed with him) but I'll be forced to vote for mickey mouse if Turnbull successfully challenges for leadership. The man's as spineless as a Jellyfish and he comes across as a sleazy used car salesman. His efforts playing up to the crowd on Q and A are truly cringeworthy.

I've voted Labor in the fairly recent past and I like the idea of a female atheist PM to mix things up a bit, but in practice I'm completely unimpressed with the Labor party performance and I think a stint in opposition would do them some good