Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Greece also doesnt have control of its currency like we do. They cant devalue the currency or lower interest rates to provide economic stimulus, that's all decided by the ECB in Frankfurt.

In the end, the huge public sector cuts then reduce revenue, and they just get into an ever deeper hole.

I can see the logic in the Eurozone, but for some countries, particularly Greece with an aging population and excessively generous social security scheme, its just not going to work. Borrowing cash is an incredibly expensive exercise for them, due to their trashed economy nobody will lend them money at a reasonable rate. Can't say I blame the investors for that of course, you would have to consider them a high risk investment.

I think the best thing Greece could really do is get out of the Euro, default on its debts, and try to start again. It couldn't be much worse than whats happening now.

I'm just happy to be Australian.

I'm not against European Union, in fact I think it's a great idea. The problem arises when they are not a union of states as we have with a national government with any clout to make decisions. "We'll build warships in Greece to help her out" won't happen as it would in a federation. It's still nation against nation and forcing them to use a currency that doesn't fit their domestic economy that ruined them.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
How many times do you have to be told - the problem is getting into the habit of running deficit budgets year in year out. That is the way we are heading and it's not in a small way.

Should I consider myself suitably chastised and show remorse for my intransigence now? Stand in the corner? The spending done is worth it in my opinion. It is needed and easily affordable. I guess that's where we disagree.

edit: It's stuff that should have been done under Howard in the good years. What did we see though? Cutting of services, neglect of infrastructure, and handouts before elections saying he was "just returning your money"(not a JH quote just how I remember it) after being the highest taxing gov we've had. I bet you believe LNP's past claims, that we don't see now interestingly, claiming they'll keep interest rates low and Labor's will be high?

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I hope one side or the other finally deal with this, it's been a pretty poor effort by both. The public is overwhelmingly for it. I don't know TA will be doing anything to rectify the matter, he could have allowed a conscience vote when Labor did and the parliament voted on it. If you remember when he was Health Minister under Howard he tried to veto RU486, calling it an abortion pill, and the parliament thusly voted to remove that power from ministers. It shows a fundamental religious side that I doubt very much will be gay friendly.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

His address to the IPA was very much filled with biblical connotations. Same event was attended by George Pell. He is a failed/quit/whatever Jesuit priest, and the programming is still there.

ALP would do LGBT marriage in a stroke but part of the party's 'official' faction system they are controlled by the right-wing faction that put left-wing-but-sellout Gillard into power that in the NSW at least is controlled by the Catholic church (I have crossed paths with a few senior public servants in NSW who have confirmed that in NSW under ALP it helped if you were Catholic. I kid you not...)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Should I consider myself suitably chastised and show remorse for my intransigence now? Stand in the corner? The spending done is worth it in my opinion. It is needed and easily affordable. I guess that's where we disagree.

edit: It's stuff that should have been done under Howard in the good years. What did we see though? Cutting of services, neglect of infrastructure, and handouts before elections saying he was "just returning your money"(not a JH quote just how I remember it) after being the highest taxing gov we've had. I bet you believe LNP's past claims, that we don't see now interestingly, claiming they'll keep interest rates low and Labor's will be high?

At the time it was a $20 (?) bill surplus at the election with zero debt. How big do you want it to be? Yep times were much better back then, they governed accordingly. Times are very different now and thus policy should reflect that. Sadly it doesn't.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Hey VR bloke, Ur car is 20 odd years old.........why don't you get a new one?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
wtf??????????

I have a 34 yr old car should I trade it in on a Chery J1?

Moving on....

Am pleased to see the Boston bombers either killed or caught. Bastards. I smell Islamic Jihad.....

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
coz there is not one measurable parameter that an old car does better than a new car (except weight). So why have a car that is 20 years old ......... bank will lend you money....... all you have to do is pay the interest......and eventually also the principal. Think of it as a personal deficit.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
coz there is not one measurable parameter that an old car does better than a new car (except weight). So why have a car that is 20 years old ......... bank will lend you money....... all you have to do is pay the interest......and eventually also the principal. Think of it as a personal deficit.

I'm with WTF!?!? Is this what reading LNP propaganda does to a person? Who knows, it probably affects everyone differently. How about because I'm a family not a Nation and there is no need to even own it as it's only driven occaisionally, maybe 12,000Km in 5 or 6 years, it's not needed, it's a luxury, maybe I should privatise it.

Edit.. 4 years..

Edit More: Look at it in an a national sense, it's a museum piece we have in our care;) A work of Australian art!

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

Thing is a 20 year old car, in well maintained condition, will do exactly the same thing as a brand new car. For a fraction of the cost. To boot, it will be simpler to fix, have zero depreciation, and have future collectibility?
My VX has the VB licked in all but a couple key areas - rarity/period charm/retro value.....

I am figuring yxyx64 is drawing an analogy to NBN or something?

In that case running a country's infrastructure is like running a business - there is the bottom line. No room for personal values to come into it. Unless you are looking at environmental/social issues of it...