Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
you also cannot forget another underlying issue of red tape.

I know of people who live up in the bushlands, who during black Saturday in vic the fire was actually at their back door, and were quite lucky. (they are firefighters aswell)
they have told me that, they aren't allowed to clear roadsides and similar in their areas because it is natural wildlife habitats, but it is some of the best fuel for fires if they ever start. this is because it is "state/council" land, yet said authority will not clear it.
although they (fire fighters) do suggest to people to clear it as it helps them a lot, even if it does go against what they are instructed.
they aren't allowed to do some basic clearing of surrounding bushland to make it a bit safer.

if local and higher authorities could cut a lot of the garbage red tape and allow sensible actions then it could be a lot safer.
it may not stop fires, but it can make it safer and reduce a lot of fuel in those areas.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
just curious, did you lose "a" house or "your" house?? big difference there...

My parents lost their house, our family home.

and what happens if your house burnt down in that 48 hours that you let your guard down and had everything in there and not in your safe deposit box?

Well we would have to re-apply for a passport or something of the like. Our safe deposit box has witnessed copies of all personal documents, there is never a need to have a passport and birth cert out at the same time.

You know what I find, is amusing the right word? These same people that are staying "suck it up" here are the same people that say we should not give foreign aid because we need to look after our own. The circle of compassion constantly shrinks as the need arises to fit their world view.

There is a difference to helping those with nothing and handing out cash to people because they may have been "inconvenienced" by something. The only thing shrinking is common sense going on your posts.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
you also cannot forget another underlying issue of red tape.

I know of people who live up in the bushlands, who during black Saturday in vic the fire was actually at their back door, and were quite lucky. (they are firefighters aswell)
they have told me that, they aren't allowed to clear roadsides and similar in their areas because it is natural wildlife habitats, but it is some of the best fuel for fires if they ever start. this is because it is "state/council" land, yet said authority will not clear it.
although they (fire fighters) do suggest to people to clear it as it helps them a lot, even if it does go against what they are instructed.
they aren't allowed to do some basic clearing of surrounding bushland to make it a bit safer.

if local and higher authorities could cut a lot of the garbage red tape and allow sensible actions then it could be a lot safer.
it may not stop fires, but it can make it safer and reduce a lot of fuel in those areas.

If you remember a farmer was fined some 75k for clearing trees around his house. His house was the only one left standing in the area, as far as I am aware this is still being fought in VCAT etc. Ge us refusing to pay saying that his actions meant the safety of his family where the councils laws meant the death of his family.

Sadly too many useful idiots in line wanting everything stopped and handouts galore.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
so abbott has already caved to indonesia on the turing back the boats policy. absolutely pathetic and the libs have been left red faced over this one.
Australia accepts boat people in stand-off with Indonesia | News.com.au

It would appear that turning back that boat was not safe to do so and thus the people were transferred to an Australian flagged vessel. They may be returned to Indonesia or (more probably) be transferred to PNG or Naru with no prospect of ever getting to Australia. Seems entirely in line with policy to me. Which bit is outside of policy?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
the bit when he said the boats would be turned back. this has not happened.

If you are going to quote a policy then quote it in it's entirety. At the moment you are looking more stupid than usual.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

the policy seems to somehow have changed from turning back the boats to Australian authorities picking up asylum seekers from boats in Indonesian waters.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This is the bit that shits me. Where are the Indonesians in all this? These boats are now reporting problems only 50km or so from Indonesia, still well within Indonesian territorial waters, and the Australian Navy has to be the first vessel on the scene? I think the Indonesians are playing us for fools and the latest bullshit about spying on Indonesia (what the hell would they have that we want or need to know?) gives them an excuse to back away from agreements. I think the Indonesians have treated Australia very poorly indeed over this whole boat people affair, when you consider the incredible amount of foreign aid we have provided to them for many years. They give the impression of being really ungrateful bastards.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

This guy is hilarious. No idea what he is talking about yet so confident he has credibility.

Read up on this full story. Then comment.

It may just save you looking like a fool in future.

Also, some actual understanding of the policy rather than only what is in the media may help you have educated and intelligent comments.