Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Me thinks once this budget comes out, the shits gonna hit the fan. Whilst I'm starting to think this current government is as useless as the last, its only saving grace is that it looks like everyone will have to share the budget pain, not just the select few.

And not because of the actions of the current government...

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Tony Abbott secures 'best ever' trade deal with Japan

Thoughts?

Seems like a good thing at face value. I think the biggest potential consequence could be a chip in the Oz/China relationship but that seems remote given china is quite mature in their diplomatic dealings.

Any anything that reduces prices on imports from JP is a good thing for consumers. JP make some of the coolest ****. :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Good point. Because so far on budgetary front current govt has not done anything so far ;)

Well considering the budget isn't due till next month it's hardly surprising. I suspect the relevant ministers & department has been working flat out on it for months now. I'll send them a memo to remind them to send you an update :bang:

Thoughts?

Seems like a good thing at face value. I think the biggest potential consequence could be a chip in the Oz/China relationship but that seems remote given china is quite mature in their diplomatic dealings.

Any anything that reduces prices on imports from JP is a good thing for consumers. JP make some of the coolest ****.

Yes, on the face of it things look good. Of course we shall have to see what the Left's approved media source (ABC) have to say about it however ;)

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

Thoughts?

Any anything that reduces prices on imports from JP is a good thing for consumers. JP make some of the coolest ****. :)

It could be ok; the things I would imagine we get from Japan are the things we don't (or won't in the future) make here anyhow, high level electronics and cars(?), so no risk to jobs I guess. Japan and chinese industry are light years apart.

Story is from the Age, his Lordship will be pleased to know being Fairfax it is Left Approved[SUP]TM[/SUP] lol ;)

It is lovely that they are working on things (presumably) but if it was such a shrill emergency, why the legislative inaction for last 7 months? Can't the PM just do certain things by decree anyhow?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Just saw a report that James Packer has given Rudd a spray for holding things back in Asia by giving unwanted advice etc. to people that would not take kindly to that sort of thing.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Didn't the ALP candidate practically get down on his knees whilst grovelling to the CFMEU after the election? Sure that helped the ALP's image.

The Greens will never be a viable alternative - too many loonies and too left wing. Look at Sarah HY and Milne. Makes Bob Brown look reasonable.

Me thinks once this budget comes out, the shits gonna hit the fan. Whilst I'm starting to think this current government is as useless as the last, its only saving grace is that it looks like everyone will have to share the budget pain, not just the select few.

This government is useless because they are hamstrung by the ALP and the greens in the senate, why the coalition isn't making this front page news everywhere is beyond me. It is hard to run any sort of government when you have a hostile senate, come July 1 it will simply be no better.

As much as it pains me to say it, we need a double dissolution to give one party or another majority power in the senate, maybe then we will see governance one way or another. Whether in my favour or against.

Your comment regarding this government being as useless as the last makes me wonder what a government would have to do to be considered effective. I reckon the Coalition is trying to rectify matters but is being thwarted by the Opposition and Greens, and hamstrung by its own policies. Its saving grace at present is the results being achieved with asylum seekers but elsewhere, it seems to hit brick walls at every turn.

I think Abbott has painted himself into a corner with his pre-election undertakings not to increase the GST, not to touch pensions, to introduce the PPL and various other policies, and now is faced with massive increases in deficits for years to come. As time goes by, the capacity to lay the blame on the previous government diminishes and he will be forced to accept increasing responsibility for the financial position. Hockey is placed in an unenviable position because I believe he would love to dump the PPL and examine the GST with a view to either increasing the level, or broadening the base, but Tony has kyboshed both.

Who'd be a Federal Treasurer right now?

Calaber, I think pre-election promises can be changed by any incoming government when they have not been in power and have no access to treasury. They really need to allow full access to treasury come election time for oppositions to see exactly where the books are at. The position the ALP has left us in spending all the cash and borrowing large is much worse than we are being told, it is why only blips are dropping out about the upcoming budget, it will hit hard and I hope it does. Drop middle class welfare, sell off the NBN to a private owner and let them deal with ongoing interest cost of borrowings, have all people who took their $900 handouts pay it back at tax time, drop all this green subsidy madness and let the markets decide if these items are worth buying. Drop income tax for a first job below 250k PA and raise GST, dump all forms of PPL including the public service entitlements, slash the public service involved in government, look at fixing the disability issue where over 800k people are claiming the benefit. Start forcing people to work for their dole, no turn up, no payment, even give a bonus to those who do a full weeks work...so much to do out there, clean roadways, riversides, parks, repaint things etc. STart making people want to work and not just bludge. The list goes on and on and on. Will anything change? I doubt it, no government has the balls to remove the benefits of entitlement.

Yes, actually ;). If there is a debt crisis, it belongs to everyone. Within reasonable constraints of course..........

This is exactly why the income tax system is stupid, with a GST and no income tax, EVERY person pays their fair share through what they earn. Assuming two people spend all income they receive, a person on 40,000 will pay their 4k a year, someone on 100k, 10k and someone on 1 million 100k. GST would be applicable ON ALL items, no exceptions. The benefit is, people will be spending more as they have more, the economy would turn. That 100k person now as an extra $523 week to spend, the 40k person has an extra $100 per week. I know myself, we would certainly spend more, people would pay down debt and possibly we may see small business thrive once again.

Again though, which government has the balls to do this? In 2006 my sister in law was involved in a paper for the Howard government where GST was looked at as a sole revenue stream, they had GST set at 17.6% to create some 9 billion more in tax receipts. They had most of the ATO abolished as there was no longer any need for income tax returns. There were provisions made to business to provide workers with tools etc, offsets for workers who decided to be a contractor and act as a sole trader. I wish I could get the report, made so much sense.

Anyway, that was my once in a blue moon post, out of here again for a few weeks :p

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is exactly why the income tax system is stupid, with a GST and no income tax, EVERY person pays their fair share through what they earn. Assuming two people spend all income they receive, a person on 40,000 will pay their 4k a year, someone on 100k, 10k and someone on 1 million 100k. GST would be applicable ON ALL items, no exceptions. The benefit is, people will be spending more as they have more, the economy would turn. That 100k person now as an extra $523 week to spend, the 40k person has an extra $100 per week. I know myself, we would certainly spend more, people would pay down debt and possibly we may see small business thrive once again.

Again though, which government has the balls to do this? In 2006 my sister in law was involved in a paper for the Howard government where GST was looked at as a sole revenue stream, they had GST set at 17.6% to create some 9 billion more in tax receipts. They had most of the ATO abolished as there was no longer any need for income tax returns. There were provisions made to business to provide workers with tools etc, offsets for workers who decided to be a contractor and act as a sole trader. I wish I could get the report, made so much sense.

Anyway, that was my once in a blue moon post, out of here again for a few weeks :p

-If people spend more if they have more....would that not drive up inflation and therefore interest rates?
-If GST is sole revenue stream - could create a 'black market' i.e. cash-inhand system open to rorting? Also if people stop spending due to recession, budget could be rooted?
-I fail to see how everyone gets a very large in-practice tax cut without the budget suffering - unless you completely slash govt spending, which I don't agree to. You still need: Health, education, welfare, defence, roads, utilities, police, jails etc......
-Which government has the balls to do it? Well.....none. Some places have higher GST than us, but all western economies still retain a progressive income tax scheme, even those who were/are staunchly conservative. There must be a reason why.......

for the record, don't all businesses pay the same flat tax rate on profit? I wouldn't mind dropping it for very small business to help them out in their early years.....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
-If people spend more if they have more....would that not drive up inflation and therefore interest rates?

Interest rates should be higher anyway, inflation can be managed in other ways with people still spending to keep the $$ turning.

-If GST is sole revenue stream - could create a 'black market' i.e. cash-inhand system open to rorting? Also if people stop spending due to recession, budget could be rooted?

If people are in a good cycle, business thrives through startups, failures, buyouts etc then recessions will not occur very often if at all. As for cash black market...you do know it already exists and is wildly rorted right? With a GST this rort is pretty much wiped out, I can pay an employee cash, he is happy as he haves more, govco would never know, with GST as a sole tax stream that guy has to pay bills, buy food etc, not many businesses out there willing to do the dodge on GST, either way, it eventually hits the system with a gst.

-I fail to see how everyone gets a very large in-practice tax cut without the budget suffering - unless you completely slash govt spending, which I don't agree to. You still need: Health, education, welfare, defence, roads, utilities, police, jails etc......

Jails can be privatised, works well in the USA, welfare could be slashed dramatically with an economy that is running healthy, stop making people feel entitled to a handout, make people want to work. What utilities are government owned anymore?

-Which government has the balls to do it? Well.....none. Some places have higher GST than us, but all western economies still retain a progressive income tax scheme, even those who were/are staunchly conservative. There must be a reason why.......

There is a reason why, mostly to cover the costs of others who believe they are entitled to things such as high end medical care...courtesy of taxpayer, high end education..courtesy of the tax payer the list goes on. Lets not forget the multiple tiers of useless government. Dump state governments, have local councils become an electorate of an existing federal seat, each council could have a tiered staff with no opposition, allow a team to run their seat the way they were voted in. Then let each electorate vote every 3 years with a federal election. Just a 2 minute brain fade but there are plenty of ways to make government more efficient to allow the freebies such as university and top end free health care.

for the record, don't all businesses pay the same flat tax rate on profit? I wouldn't mind dropping it for very small business to help them out in their early years.....

Company tax | Australian Taxation Office

One thing the coalition should do is force unions to become a business and trade like a business. They pay no taxes federally on profits and rake in millions. Still yet to hear the greens and ALP bitch about this but are happy to bitch about the likes of Palmer and Rinehart claiming tax offsets legally and through means every person in the country can access.

c2105026, I am just voicing ideas, while some may not be practical it is probably more than any government of the last 7 years has thought about, our style of government is bloated, expensive and inefficient, our welfare system much the same way, things need to be looked at with a different approach.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
-Ok, if I had a mortgage, I certainly wouldn't want interest rates to go up! And neither would the 30% of australian households who are paying off mortgages.
-'recessions will not occur very often if at all'. Recessions will always happen. Always have, always will. The economy is a living organism, sometime it's healthy sometimes it's sick.
-privatised jails - ok I encourage you to look into US justice system. If you can call it that. Between abuse of plea bargains and mandatory sentencing, they have very high incarceration rates. Does it make the streets over there any safer? No. W.R.T. utilities was referring to sewerage, water, rubbish collection, Australia Post, ABC, some airports......I would also argue when you privatise something what you may gain in worker/organisational efficiency you'll lose in the drive for profit.
-I'dve thought quality education and medical care were basic human rights, everyone has access to these when needed, don't see the problem? Converting LGAs into electorates could work in the city but out west in the seat of Calare we have about 6 LGAs in our seat.......the local issues that face Parkes would be much different to those of Lithgow.
-If unions are indeed 'businesses' - where do the profits go? CFMEU made losses last 2 financial years, if they are businesses, they aren't very good ones!

Finally I would argue that with the exception of the stimulus and carbon/mining tax, ALP of last 7 years was a continuation of what Howard did, particularly in regards to income tax, welfare and GST.