Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I'm thinking that we could almost start a list of what this government has managed to achieve so far, despite the lefties saying "nothing".

After just seven months, we have seen a substantial reduction in the number of asylum seekers entering this country. (I think the difference between the thousands that came in during the comparable period under Labor and zero for the Coalition, is reasonably substantial.)

FTA with Japan

FTA with South Korea

FTA with China next on the agenda.

Considerable improvement in our relationship with Japan and Korea following damage caused by Rudd's efforts during his first term in office. IIRC, he also pissed China off, too. (Not nice to be called rat f***ers, Kevin)

The under-achievements probably can be covered by

Relations with Indonesia still pretty rocky, with a lot of work still to be done to undo the damage caused by both parties since 2006.

Tangible evidence that the government has the correct policies to address the fiscal emergency they made so much noise about during the election campaign. We have another month or so to wait for that one.

We still have those damned taxes, thanks to the intransigent opposition and the Greens.

Overall, it's not a bad score-card for just seven months but the real proof in the pudding will come with the budget and perhaps, the new Senate from July.

At this point I could have a two thousand word essay on why Abbott and his mob are such utter ####ing contemptible pricks, but really can't be ####ed with a five-on-one flame war right now......peace be with you all, and good day.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Good to see your learning. Lol

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
At this point I could have a two thousand word essay on why Abbott and his mob are such utter ####ing contemptible pricks, but really can't be ####ed with a five-on-one flame war right now......peace be with you all, and good day.

Only TWO thousand words?

C'mon C3, surely you could do better than that?

One question, and it shouldn't start any flame wars. Has your view worsened since the election or remained pretty much the same?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
One question, and it shouldn't start any flame wars. Has your view worsened since the election or remained pretty much the same?

That is a rhetorical question right? He votes green, enough said really. :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
That is a rhetorical question right? He votes green, enough said really. :)

LOL! I still can't fathom why anyone votes for such extremist lunatics who don't have any understanding of the real world.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only TWO thousand words?

C'mon C3, surely you could do better than that?

You asked - after election I was concerned, but cautiously optimistic. But now.....nup. Just....nup.

LOL! I still can't fathom why anyone votes for such extremist lunatics who don't have any understanding of the real world.

I ask myself the same question, albeit from another part of the political compass ;)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You asked - after election I was concerned, but cautiously optimistic. But now.....nup. Just....nup.
I probably wasn't as wary as you, but when Howard lost in 2006, whilst disappointed, I was prepared to give Rudd a bit of leeway. I could see that the Howard government had run its course and was becoming tired and arrogant and felt that a change of government might not be such a bad thing. Rudd was a bit of an unknown back then, but it didn't take him long to convince me that his leadership was seriously flawed. It took a bit longer for me to decide that the Government he led was going to make a hash of things.

What I find difficult to comprehend is the depth of hatred that Abbott has about him from the opposite side of the fence, so soon after gaining office. It's true that Rudd and moreso Gillard suffered from intense hatred during their terms in office, but not as quickly as Abbott. I can't determine whether the dislike of the current government relates more to Abbott personally or the government as a whole.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

Well from what I can see the party itself is made up of like minded wanting to live peacefully with our planet and have some great ideas and some not so great ideas. The other parties just have great ideas and some not so great ideas.

Extremist lunatics? Nah.... That's just the green voters lol

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I probably wasn't as wary as you, but when Howard lost in 2006, whilst disappointed, I was prepared to give Rudd a bit of leeway. I could see that the Howard government had run its course and was becoming tired and arrogant and felt that a change of government might not be such a bad thing. Rudd was a bit of an unknown back then, but it didn't take him long to convince me that his leadership was seriously flawed. It took a bit longer for me to decide that the Government he led was going to make a hash of things.

What I find difficult to comprehend is the depth of hatred that Abbott has about him from the opposite side of the fence, so soon after gaining office. It's true that Rudd and moreso Gillard suffered from intense hatred during their terms in office, but not as quickly as Abbott. I can't determine whether the dislike of the current government relates more to Abbott personally or the government as a whole.

The thing is what makes up 'The Left' is a collective of various causes, and Abbott & Co have rubbed all of them up the wrong way. workers rights, social democracy, gay rights, Aboriginal rights, asylum seeker support, womens rights, environmentalists, secularists/humanists/atheists, Australian republicans, civil libertarians, those who work in healthcare and education (usually), peace activists etc. Abbott and/or his ministry either during the past years in opposition or since coming to power have said things to piss people off in each of the above causes. Most on the left align themselves with combinations of the above causes, multiplying the anger. Giving credit where it's due, Howard didn't do that, I don't recall such anger levelled at Howard. Abbott has simply gone in way too hard too fast. It's like the Whitlam years, but from the opposite direction.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

On which point(s) exactly?