Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I think the whole Gay Marriage thing is just the "popular topic" at the moment.

New Zealand did it so we should to!

I dont think its an important issue at all. I think we have far more pressing issues at hand.

With that being said, it probably wont hurt anyone. Its not like the institution of marriage is all that sacred anymore anyway.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I suppose if you are straight it could be seen as something that would only affect other people. What may be a popular topic for some might be a lifelong struggle for a member of the queer community.
I have a similar view of feminist issues. They may be worthwhile but I don't have the same level of passion for them that a woman might.
Important or not, it could be passed very quickly, not cost the govt anything, and may prove small boost to economy as well.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I suppose if you are straight it could be seen as something that would only affect other people. What may be a popular topic for some might be a lifelong struggle for a member of the queer community.
I have a similar view of feminist issues. They may be worthwhile but I don't have the same level of passion for them that a woman might.
Important or not, it could be passed very quickly, not cost the govt anything, and may prove small boost to economy as well.

I think it's a non issue for a near universal majority of straight people. If you are gay or have a close relative etc that is, then it possibly could be an issue for you. More pressing I suggest are issues that effect everybody, such as keeping people employed and preventing Australia going broke in the longer term whilst somehow providing for the elderly/ill etc.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I think it's a non issue for a near universal majority of straight people. If you are gay or have a close relative etc that is, then it possibly could be an issue for you. More pressing I suggest are issues that effect everybody, such as keeping people employed and preventing Australia going broke in the longer term whilst somehow providing for the elderly/ill etc.

Dude...get real... homosexual marriage is well above those welfare issues!!!

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
'Deficit tax' to cost earners on $80,000 an extra $800 a year: reports

As expected, having to leverage the incomes of people who are "well off" to pay for Labors wild spending.

Naturally a pain in the arse, but it's exactly was I expected to happen. At least it's only going to be an extra grand or so.

Small price to pay to try and un-#### our debt situation and ensure that there is an economy tomorrow for me to work in.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Last edited:

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I expected it too but it still pisses me off though, above $80k a year cops it yet again.

Stuff it, slug the hoards of 'working families' and low to middle income earners instead. The welfare that gets handed out to these segments needs to be reigned in. Let them pay their fair share for a change.

Yeah, 1% across the board would be the fairer method. However it would also be a significantly more damaging avenue politically. At least this way the majority of people will not be affected and will not vote against Liberal at the next Election.

The pain won't be worth anything if at the next election the Liberals are booted out and Labor comes back to trash the place. OR worse; the Greens get more power.

I was flicking channels last night and momentarily stumbled across a retard greenie voicing her thoughts about how the paid parental leave scheme thing is unfair and we should instead be using those fund to provide free child care for all.

Yeah, because we need MORE incentive for the dregs of society to breed more welfare sitters.

The idea of a parental leave scheme is to encourage those people in society who are actively contributing to have a child rather than those who do it out of boredom and are looking for a free TV.

I'm 29 this year, earning close to double the median income and at the moment I feel I cannot afford to have a child with my wife, who also earns more than the median income. Meanwhile, the centrelink line is full of double prams and people who say "like" a lot.

Anyway, that's another topic.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yeah, 1% across the board would be the fairer method. However it would also be a significantly more damaging avenue politically. At least this way the majority of people will not be affected and will not vote against Liberal at the next Election.

The pain won't be worth anything if at the next election the Liberals are booted out and Labor comes back to trash the place. OR worse; the Greens get more power.

I was flicking channels last night and momentarily stumbled across a retard greenie voicing her thoughts about how the paid parental leave scheme thing is unfair and we should instead be using those fund to provide free child care for all.

Yeah, because we need MORE incentive for the dregs of society to breed more welfare sitters.

The idea of a parental leave scheme is to encourage those people in society who are actively contributing to have a child rather than those who do it out of boredom and are looking for a free TV.

I'm 29 this year, earning close to double the median income and at the moment I feel I cannot afford to have a child with my wife, who also earns more than the median income. Meanwhile, the centrelink line is full of double prams and people who say "like" a lot.

Anyway, that's another topic.

If in your situation you feel you can't afford a child..' you need to re-evaluate your situation.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
If in your situation you feel you can't afford a child..' you need to re-evaluate your situation.

Not really, it's all about perspective.

I'm sure someone external with different views on financial security and affordability would say we can, just as I know a few people who are in a less comfortable financial position than we are but feel they are able to afford a house that is almost double the value of our place and they drive brand new luxury cars.

The difference being, if one of there incomes ends they will be "making ends meet" while in our situation if one of our incomes was to end, even mine, we would be in a position to continue our life effectively un-changed for the next 3 years.

Either way, a paid parental leave scheme is aimed an encouraging people who are in the workforce to have a child if they were on the fence about it. Then they are able to bring up a child with values like respect and hard work rather than values of holding out your hand and entitlement.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I sort of get what you are saying Jesterarts.

Both myself and my wife work in mining and earn good coin, but it doesn't happen by accident or luck like most of our acquaintances like to say. Years of study, long hours and working in shitty locations that most people would refuse to move to have put us in this position.

We waited until we were financially secure before having kids. Consequently, my wife can now be a permanent stay at home mum and wont have to work again in the foreseeable future. That was the whole aim - have kids when we can afford to loose one substantial income.

In contrast, other friends our age who earn comparable amounts, have young kids, live in $1m homes, drive higher end cars, are struggling financially. But these are the ones that now give us stick about our laid back and secure financial situation.

Its all about common sense but sadly its lacking in a lot of people, particularly higher income earners which seems to be pretty common in our own social circle.