Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Onto other things...

I stumbled onto this today:

Who is coming to dinner Treasurer - call for Hockey to release names | Lee Rhiannon
and also this:
Time to shut down secret donation clubs - North Sydney, Warringah and Wentworth Forum | Lee Rhiannon

Which is all well and good - but surely it would mean that this is not good??? (seemingly left out of their posts however)

Greens for Marrickville Council Fundraising Dinner | The Greens NSW and also this: Dinner with Christine Milne | Greens SA. Or is it only for those "other" parties??? Just out of interest, if political parties are no longer able to fundraise from the private sector (I agree it's not great but there is only 1 other alternative I can think of), are they saying the taxpayer should fund them?? Or do they have some other way of raising funds that nobody else has thought of yet???

This is how our premier is portrayed
Seems about right and totally inoffensive

NEWMAN'S LAST CUTS

Soooo do you have anything constructive to contribute or are you just going to continue with lobbing up with the odd cartoon that suits your cause?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
It quite possibly will be true. Then comes the debate - is the outcome more important than the decree before the election???

In summary - if Abbott and co were upfront and honest about their plans, would they have got in? Perhaps, but now they may well pay the price of flagrant dishonesty. Maybe they can regroup in next 2.5 years but....if everyone is this pissed off 6 months in, what else is in store?

As for fundraising, private fundraising is ok by me unless it is obviously for favours. Fundraising dinners would be ok if it were limited to 100% markup. $11k for brekky for inner clique sounds a bit dodgy, but that's just me...greens for marrickville dinner only costs $32 a head, might only make $15 a head. If restaurant had 50 seats total profit $750. Whoppee! Not enough for an ad in local paper.....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
In summary - if Abbott and co were upfront and honest about their plans, would they have got in? Perhaps, but now they may well pay the price of flagrant dishonesty. Maybe they can regroup in next 2.5 years but....if everyone is this pissed off 6 months in, what else is in store?

It really depends on what actually makes the final cut of the budget. If it's a new tax that doesn't touch 95% of the population and they are seen to be doing it for the greater good of the country then maybe the'll get away with it. On the other hand, everybody seems to agree that in the medium term we need to get to surplus, just as long as the "other guy" pays which might not bode well for them.

As for fundraising, private fundraising is ok by me unless it is obviously for favours. Fundraising dinners would be ok if it were limited to 100% markup. $11k for brekky for inner clique sounds a bit dodgy, but that's just me...

So really we are talking about an imaginary line in the sand - the only question is where it may be?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
What's your take on this?
Especially after all the grandstanding he (and a lot of people on this forum) made about gillards no carbon tax broken promise
No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
What's your take on this?
Especially after all the grandstanding he (and a lot of people on this forum) made about gillards no carbon tax broken promise
No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

See post #5963. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject, specifically

1. do you believe that in time we need to balance the budget?
2. (assuming the answer to #1 is yes) how would you tackle the problem

Unlike most of the lefts opinion on Gillard - I am under no illusion, If he brings in the deficit tax/levy/whatever they choose to call it, he has broken his pre election promise. The question then becomes, is the greater good worth the pain, and by extension excuse broken promise(s). At the moment, outside the inner circle of government, nobody knows what is actually planned and thus we will have to wait till after Tuesday to begin to answer that question.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
See post #5963. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject, specifically

1. do you believe that in time we need to balance the budget?
2. (assuming the answer to #1 is yes) how would you tackle the problem

Unlike most of the lefts opinion on Gillard - I am under no illusion, If he brings in the deficit tax/levy/whatever they choose to call it, he has broken his pre election promise. The question then becomes, is the greater good worth the pain, and by extension excuse broken promise(s). At the moment, outside the inner circle of government, nobody knows what is actually planned and thus we will have to wait till after Tuesday to begin to answer that question.

I do believe they need to balance the budget but also they should do it without breaking promises
They new what the budget was like before the election

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I do believe they need to balance the budget but also they should do it without breaking promises
They new what the budget was like before the election

So you are saying that your only problem is the reneging on pre election commitments? (assuming at least some of the media reported new taxes etc eventuate).

Don't worry they will make sure they don't lose out and will catch up as soon as they can as did the qld government recently

Abbott to freeze MP's pay

Qld labor froze politicians pays during the GFC
Qld has a major debt crisis too but the Lnp led government was granted this

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman gets $70k pay rise as tribunal increases politicians' pay - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But we are expected to tighten our belts

Meh - politicians pay is a huge non event AFAIK. On the one hand the public don't want them to set their own wages (a view that I share) so there is an independent body which reviews and sets their wages on a federal level (same thing in Victoria and it looks like Qld operates the same way). Then when that body does it's job and portions of the public perceive it as wrong, they want said Politicians to step in and over-ride that independent body. We can't have things both ways :bang:

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
So you are saying that your only problem is the reneging on pre election commitments? (assuming at least some of the media reported new taxes:

Basically yes
He seems quite willing to break so many of them so easily
I believe he should be made to honour his pre election commitments.

be interesting to see what the budgey actually delivers.
may be surprised but I doubt it