Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Dat budget... Mein gott!

I both agree and disagree with many points but I think we can all agree... That's a brave budget to throw down!

Interested to see how it goes.

Balanced budget within 4 years is a nice plan. Let's see if it happens.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
A budget that gets welfare groups, greenies and leftists outraged is always a good start.

I'm just relieved that pretty much everyone is going to have to put in, not just high income earners.

And that's the way it should be.

Lets see if its worth it in the end.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The usual crowd has already been making loud noises about how unfair and harsh the budget is for specific groups. (Pensioners, school leavers etc.)

The government has been saying for weeks that EVERYBODY will have to put in for the economy to improve. What part of EVERYBODY didn't they understand? The loudest noises will come from those groups who represent the sectors of the community that absorb the largest proportion of government expenditure, (such as ACOSS and pensioners) so surely they had to accept that those areas would be affected adversely in some way.

Certainly, some sectors of the community are less able to sustain increased costs of living than others, but the welfare mentality that has pervaded this country for so many years has led to the conviction that hand-outs and subsidies are a God-given right, to be paid for by somebody else.

As always happens with budgets, there will be winners and losers. I think that in the long run, everybody will benefit in some way that might not seem so obvious right now. That's from the Federal angle. However, it will be interesting to see what effect the budget has on the States, and how they juggle their budgets if their funding for health and education is cut.

Of course, it's all immaterial at the moment, because the opposition has made it clear they will block the majority of the increases and cuts. Even the PUP has indicated it believes the budget is excessively harsh and unfair, so just how the government will get this one past the Senate is anybody's guess.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
John Howard & Peter Costello left a budget $21billion in surplus as well as a future fund of almost $60billion. Then we have 6 dark years of the worst govt. in Australia's history under Rudd and Gillard who left the budget $667billion in deficit and a completely decimated Australian workforce, particularly in manufacturing. And now people are whining that smart government means repairing the damage of the last 6 years? To those people I ask you this...

If you choose not to work but are capable of working, should the govt. support you?
If you choose to have children, should the govt. support them?
If you want a new big screen TV, should the govt. pay for it?
If you want to retire from work, should the govt. fund your retirement?

You are not entitled to anything just because you want it. The govt. should not support you and you should not live beyond your means. If you want more, better yourself through education and hard work to EARN the higher paying job to support the lifestyle you want. If you don't want to do that, that's fine but be happy with the lifestyle you can afford. Don't think you're entitled to the lifestyle you want and expect the govt. to fund it. Social security should be a basic security net providing basic necessities when times are tough to help you get back on your feet. Social security is NOT an entitlement to everything you want.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Just reading some budget stuff.

Federal budget 2014: Young to wait until 25 to get dole.

That by far is my favourite part at the moment.

Agreed.

The government has been saying for weeks that EVERYBODY will have to put in for the economy to improve. What part of EVERYBODY didn't they understand? The loudest noises will come from those groups who represent the sectors of the community that absorb the largest proportion of government expenditure, (such as ACOSS and pensioners) so surely they had to accept that those areas would be affected adversely in some way.

Certainly, some sectors of the community are less able to sustain increased costs of living than others, but the welfare mentality that has pervaded this country for so many years has led to the conviction that hand-outs and subsidies are a God-given right, to be paid for by somebody else.

As always happens with budgets, there will be winners and losers. I think that in the long run, everybody will benefit in some way that might not seem so obvious right now. That's from the Federal angle. However, it will be interesting to see what effect the budget has on the States, and how they juggle their budgets if their funding for health and education is cut.

Agreed.

John Howard & Peter Costello left a budget $21billion in surplus as well as a future fund of almost $60billion. Then we have 6 dark years of the worst govt. in Australia's history under Rudd and Gillard who left the budget $667billion in deficit and a completely decimated Australian workforce, particularly in manufacturing. And now people are whining that smart government means repairing the damage of the last 6 years? To those people I ask you this...

If you choose not to work but are capable of working, should the govt. support you?
If you choose to have children, should the govt. support them?
If you want a new big screen TV, should the govt. pay for it?
If you want to retire from work, should the govt. fund your retirement?

You are not entitled to anything just because you want it. The govt. should not support you and you should not live beyond your means. If you want more, better yourself through education and hard work to EARN the higher paying job to support the lifestyle you want. If you don't want to do that, that's fine but be happy with the lifestyle you can afford. Don't think you're entitled to the lifestyle you want and expect the govt. to fund it. Social security should be a basic security net providing basic necessities when times are tough to help you get back on your feet. Social security is NOT an entitlement to everything you want.

Agreed.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
The removal of the centerlink safety net is going to really hurt some people out there. What happens to those people if they can't find a job after the 6 month deadline passes? I know everyone says that the bludgers who can work should, but I do believe that there are some people out there who legitimately can't find work.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
There are a tonne of jobs out there... problem is people think they are above them. In the past while in between jobs to stop myself going on Centreline payments I have stacked timber for 10hr days. I have cleaned supermarket floors late at night when I'd rather be in bed. I have spent 10 hours carrying bluestone rocks out of paddocks and into trucks to clear paddocks. Planted trees for 6 months straight.

None of them have anything to do with my area of expertise. None of them were skilled labour and they all (except for supermarket floors) paid you dependant upon how hard you worked. Infact the timber stacking job could often me pay me $1400 a week after tax if I put my back into it.

Now I own my own business. Can't tell me there is not always work out there. People just don't look hard enough.

There is a reason service stations are filled with Eastern Asians and Middle aged women... someone has to do the job and they don't give a suit. They want to get paid and will do what it takes. Unlike the bogan on the corner with a VB in hand and a Choice Gold in the other who claims there is no jobs out there. If **** can be stacked that high... they may as well be pay him to stack other peoples **** that high.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
There are a tonne of jobs out there... problem is people think they are above them. In the past while in between jobs to stop myself going on Centreline payments I have stacked timber for 10hr days. I have cleaned supermarket floors late at night when I'd rather be in bed. I have spent 10 hours carrying bluestone rocks out of paddocks and into trucks to clear paddocks. Planted trees for 6 months straight.

None of them have anything to do with my area of expertise. None of them were skilled labour and they all (except for supermarket floors) paid you dependant upon how hard you worked. Infact the timber stacking job could often me pay me $1400 a week after tax if I put my back into it.

Now I own my own business. Can't tell me there is not always work out there. People just don't look hard enough.

There is a reason service stations are filled with Eastern Asians and Middle aged women... someone has to do the job and they don't give a suit. They want to get paid and will do what it takes. Unlike the bogan on the corner with a VB in hand and a Choice Gold in the other who claims there is no jobs out there. If **** can be stacked that high... they may as well be pay him to stack other peoples **** that high.

Could not agree more! And have been in a similar situation a couple of times in my life and your example of working at a servo was me... Not stimulating AT ALL and not great money but it paid the bills. I once dug holes for a fencer too. Hard work but on the plus side it got me in shape. I looked at it as being paid to work out with the added bonus of still not needing to resort to social security.

I have had the conversation with people who have said "my sister/cousin/uncle/etc was made redundant and couldn't find work for 7 months and they were applying for 2 or 3 jobs a week so it's tough to find a job" ... LOL! Only 2 or 3 a week? Seriously! They leave off one word. "WANT". What they should be saying is "it's tough to find a job you WANT". True. It can be tough to find a preferred job. But I will always believe that if you want to work, you'll find something pretty quickly. And any employer will cherish someone with that attitude.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
A person I know has been "looking" for a job since Feb.

There is nothing stopping young people getting a job other than being snobs.

You know the reply she gives to her friends when they ask her how the job hunting is going? "I enjoy sleeping to much".

One of the large problems this country faces is the large number of aging people and the lack of work ethic in the next generation. Theyve been brought up with hand outs. Someone has to pay for these pensioners, they need to get into the work force.

Overall im in agreeance with the budget.

Uni students can kick up a stink but I had to work full time night shift while going to Uni. We also need to really start cracking down on the people who just cycle out degrees. Noone gives a job to someone with an arts degree. Why are we funding people to study arts over and over?

Hard decisions needed to be made, end of story.