Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
And I still cannot fathom why Labor are running around waving a banner how bad the retirement age becoming 70 is.

Don't get sucked in to the spin. It's not the retirement age. :)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
there was an interesting comment made on the radio today. cannot remember which station. all I remember was it was an AM station of some descript.
it related to the bean counters at workplaces and jobs in the near future.

in no specific terms they said, its become increasingly harder for an older person to get a job yet they are increase the pension age.
pretty much pointing to what happens to them inbetween.
they did say that the whole 10k (over 2 years) to hire an over 50 isn't always going to work out right.
more pointing to manual based workplaces.
and they also pointed to the ailments that impede some people from continuing said jobs. even if it isn't serious, but can hinder movement or ability. (ie eyesight)

have to say, I do wonder what will happen to some of those people who do not get the chance to climb some corporate ladder.
this referring to those who work on the tools for most of their days.
just think of a concreter, bricky or builder. its not like they will likely have a massive super account.

now before you all jump for my throat I haven't said I am against raising the age or anything. it just seemed interesting what was said.
will just be interesting to see what happens from here

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
What happens when the oldies cant get a job, they then go on Newstart, which is less than the pension, so the gov save money anyway. Win, win for them.
I am one of the "older" people who has health issues, am lucky at the moment that I have 2 part time jobs, but both of those could go at any time. One of them involves some heavy lifting, which I cant do anymore due to back and neck issues(heavy truck mechanic by trade), but I am lucky my employer values some of my other knowledge, so keeps me on.
I have tried to get full time work, but in a small town, and my age(61 this year), I dont get a look in

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
The extended life span does not mean the body breaks down slower, it just means you may live longer before you die. You'll still be as good or as bad as people were in the past at 65, it's just modern medicine makes death wait longer to claim you. If you saw my mother in law, she's 71, you wouldn't think she could have worked to 70, she looks 90. Bent over, scoliosis, back operations etc are the major probs but she has others. I'd post a pic to make the point but my wife won't let me. Actually she just said I could if I blurred her face so if you want to see what 70 can be like let me know. Some can, but many can't keep going on working.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
there was an interesting comment made on the radio today. cannot remember which station. all I remember was it was an AM station of some descript.
it related to the bean counters at workplaces and jobs in the near future.

in no specific terms they said, its become increasingly harder for an older person to get a job yet they are increase the pension age.
pretty much pointing to what happens to them inbetween.
they did say that the whole 10k (over 2 years) to hire an over 50 isn't always going to work out right.
more pointing to manual based workplaces.
and they also pointed to the ailments that impede some people from continuing said jobs. even if it isn't serious, but can hinder movement or ability. (ie eyesight)

have to say, I do wonder what will happen to some of those people who do not get the chance to climb some corporate ladder.
this referring to those who work on the tools for most of their days.
just think of a concreter, bricky or builder. its not like they will likely have a massive super account.

now before you all jump for my throat I haven't said I am against raising the age or anything. it just seemed interesting what was said.
will just be interesting to see what happens from here

If you work in a body intensive industry wouldn't it make sense to invest more into your future so you can retire earlier on your own funds and not rely on the pension? This is what shits me about this country now, it has become such an entitled society. If you cannot work until 70, start doing something about it now. It only effects those born after a certain time so many can invest smarter now to retire earlier and more comfortably later. Sadly, people think the employers contribution to super will be enough...we need to re-instate the tax breaks on super investment to allow everyone the chance to fund their own retirement and pension.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The extended life span does not mean the body breaks down slower, it just means you may live longer before you die. You'll still be as good or as bad as people were in the past at 65, it's just modern medicine makes death wait longer to claim you. If you saw my mother in law, she's 71, you wouldn't think she could have worked to 70, she looks 90. Bent over, scoliosis, back operations etc are the major probs but she has others. I'd post a pic to make the point but my wife won't let me. Actually she just said I could if I blurred her face so if you want to see what 70 can be like let me know. Some can, but many can't keep going on working.

Well that's not quite right either. Lets look at say.... concreters - one of the hardest trades out there. Modern OH&S regs & work practices, modern machinery etc make it far far far less strenuous than it's ever been. Same goes with most other physical trades out there. What a lot of people are missing is that people currently approaching retirement age for the most part have worked at least the first half (or more) of their career without the benefit of many many machines and production techniques that today we take for granted.

Seems like not everyone is going to pay their fair share after all
Loopholes like this should be plugged

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Firstly - in a lot of cases people simply cbf'ed changing as getting into/out of fringe benefits short term can be a real bitch. Secondly, such things are easily closed via an amendment in the legislation as it goes to the senate.

If you work in a body intensive industry wouldn't it make sense to invest more into your future so you can retire earlier on your own funds and not rely on the pension? This is what shits me about this country now, it has become such an entitled society. If you cannot work until 70, start doing something about it now. It only effects those born after a certain time so many can invest smarter now to retire earlier and more comfortably later. Sadly, people think the employers contribution to super will be enough...we need to re-instate the tax breaks on super investment to allow everyone the chance to fund their own retirement and pension.

Unfortunately the "workers party" have removed near any incentive for that to happen. Why they decided to remove everybodies incentive to provide for their own future beggars belief. I hope it's right near the top of this governments priority list to re-institute the low taxation for super contributions.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute

im not making excuses for people.
just wanted some others opinions.

just putting it out there. so a bricky, on not a flash wage, who cannot add extra into super etc. they don't really have a choice now do they?
wouldn't mind hearing how you would go from something like that. not everyone has the chance to invest as others can.

and no I don't agree with many handouts.

having tax breaks on super would be good. but didn't they recently cap it at $25k or something?
I know a few blokes who would have loved to put more into their super. as they are going to retire soon, but some cap screwed them over.

and don't worry minux. I am in a body intensive industry. and have started planning ahead because I have the ability to do so and know compound interest would add up over time. it is just unfortunately. some people who wish they could do such a thing do not get the chance to do so.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
im not making excuses for people.
just wanted some others opinions.

just putting it out there. so a bricky, on not a flash wage, who cannot add extra into super etc. they don't really have a choice now do they?
wouldn't mind hearing how you would go from something like that. not everyone has the chance to invest as others can.

Even the humble bricky does very well for themselves these days. For some reason trades around the auto industry seem to be well behind in pay than near everything else.