Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Calaber, Tony started out with new policies etc. Problem we saw was that media outlets were bagging **** out of him (as well as Labor) because of budgetary issues. Now, last I checked they were in opposition so access to treasury is limited. How do you come up with attempted budgeted policy without this access? How do you come up with policy when the government IN POWER are treating the opposition like they are in power? How do you do it when the media do the same?

He has no choice but to call out the government because anything that is said is scrutinised much much more than the party in power<sic>.

I reckon there are elements within the newspaper media that are very heavily pro-Liberal (or anti-Labor) such as the Australian and the Daily Telegraph in NSW, and I imagine the Herald Sun in Melbourne. Certain key radio personalities are into Labor for all their worth, too and they have huge audiences. So I think there is plenty of support for the Liberals in the media at present. Abbott's policies were basically presented as the direct oppposite of Labors, or were cheaper (eg internet) alternatives which didn't cut the mustard with those independents. His Maternity Leave proposal was in reality, a tax on large companies, though it was far more generous than Labor's.

Over recent months though, Abbott has concentrated on attacking the government as a bad one, with too many bad taxes. Both true, but what does he now offer as alternatives? Admittedly, NO carbon tax is a good alternative and it seems to have the public on side. Anger at the way that was introduced is palpable - apart from Torch and one or two others on this forum, have you met anybody personally who supports this tax? I haven't.

I accept your point regarding access to Treasury, but with such an inept government as we have at present, there is plenty to offer the electorate that would be viable and valuable alternatives to existing government policy. Perhaps, if Labor is willing to spend 43 billion or whatever on the NBN, Abbott could offer an alternative (other than a cheaper internet) which would be more expensive than anything he has proposed to date, yet cost far less than the NBN and still offer the electorate something it really needs. (Alternative power delivery, perhaps - kill two birds with one stone.) His proposals would stand strong scrutiny if their value to the economy was undeniable.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Australia is landsliding into an abyss of stupidity.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Is anyone else under the impression that Kevin Rudd is making a small push for the leadership again?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Is anyone else under the impression that Kevin Rudd is making a small push for the leadership again?

Quite possibly, although such an event is unlikely during the current term of government. Whatever the case, Rudd is a major problem for Gillard. A real loose cannon on the Labor deck.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Gillard is a bigger problem for Gillard!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Gillard is a bigger problem for Gillard!

Yep, very true at present. She has to watch every step she makes and keep watching over her shoulder to see what Rudd is up to.

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
Yes, sometimes I look at the crap that some of our younger generation get away with and think about how a near fatal beating would alter their behaviour for the better, but...

Perhaps you didnt go to a catholic school(either did I), but type corporal punishment, sexual abuse and catholic priest into a search engine and see how many hits you get.

Why dont you do a survey of the older cliental in prisons and see if there are any in there that didnt get the living daylight beaten out of them by either drunk parents, relatives or school masters(Im guessing most of them got away from school pretty early in life anyway).

So there you have one person who worked at the sharp end of the problem, but regardless you know best because the views of all teachers should be just tossed in the bin because they are just left wing bleeding heart commy bastards.

You seriously have no frickin idea, you have all these opinions that show you have no experience in all the shizzle you talk about.

My mother is a grade one teacher, she has one particular kid in her class who is absolute hell. He kicks, punches, bites and throws dirt at my mother when she tells him he has to do something. She has finished work worst then when she started on multiple occasions. She has had bruising pretty much every single week since the start of the year. We're are talking about a bloody 6 year old here, and he is already so out of control that he has been suspended twice in one week. And guess what, after the one day suspension (holiday) is over, he comes back and pulls the same stuff.

What is a teacher supposed to do, sit there and say "Stop it, you have to the count of three, 3...2...1.. Ok principals office for you". Get's to the principal, teacher gets a rest for a few hours for the **** head to come back and pull the exact same crap.

Or another example, a teacher was stabbed up here just about a month ago. Still sure the "please stop" way of discipline that you seem to think works is actually working in reality?

Just a stab in the dark here, you have no kids? You don't work with kids?

In short, just for your information. Fair enough you have an opinion, but this is my opinion here.

You're so misguided and un-informed that what you say carrys no weight. I'd go as far to say you just like to disagree because you lack the social skills to contribute to a conversation in a meaningfull way.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
You seriously have no frickin idea, you have all these opinions that show you have no experience in all the shizzle you talk about.

. And guess what, after the one day suspension (holiday) is over, he comes back and pulls the same stuff.

Benjamin sounds like the problem is that the child is allowed to remain at school and the revolving door policy of the school/system needs addressing, you are advocating that corporal punishment is the only solution to this problem?

There isnt one respectable education organisation, teacher's association/union etc, that advocates the return of corporal punishment - please have a think about that before labelling myself as uninformed.