Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Well its more the fact that unless you are willing to scream doom youre not going to get grants. Not like its a new development in the world of Climate Science.

Impending doom (but not too soon) is great for science business. No two ways about it. There seems to be some impending catastrophe every 7 years or so that never quite pans out anywhere near as badly as what many predict.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
We have only been taking a proper look at reducing our impact on the Climate for a better part of a decade now. The doomsdayers and skeptics both agree that it would take generations to start seeing the reversal of our impact (that is assuming we could reverse whatever impact we have had). To say that our small effort - lets face it, not many countries have been doing a whole lot - has had a measurable impact on the climate in such a short time is pretty much impossible.

Yes, what has been done so far will have had little impact; it's only the start. It's been pointed out that it's a serious problem for close to 30 years. Kyoto, a general acknowledgment of that fact, was 20 years ago. We've been way too slow to act, so when we do get serious we're going to have to do it the hard way, and abandon some of the current investment in infrastructure.

As one example of something this government may do/allow, if we build port infrastructure on the basis of exporting coal for 30+ years that money will be wasted. Much of the money already spent finding and setting up to extract coal and gas in Australia will be wasted because that coal and gas will not be burned. The current value of businesses that depend on fossil fuels will be revealed as too high. That is what happens when there is no price, or uncertainty over the price, of emitting. It's a big financial risk not to price emissions right now.

Even if you choose to ignore the scientific analyses, nobody can be unaware that we've just had the warmest winter on record in Australia, that following a summer with similar record temperatures. We've seen unusual (if not exceptional) storms, record or near record droughts and exceptionally early bushfires. Lately, that has been within what is a neutral period, between El Nino and La Nina SO's, and therefore what should be near average weather.

Parts of the US are in record or near record drought, Mexico and Colorado with the worst flooding in decades, and any number of other global events in line with what has been and is predicted to occur with global warming. Arctic summer sea ice was at record lows last year and looks like being worse this year. Which of those things are not in line with what was predicted?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
What we have now, nearly 2 weeks after the election is one of the main reasons why the ALP were such a disaster.

Whilst it appears the NLP seem to be off to a good start (all be it only 2 days in) actually concentrating on running Australia, the ALP seem to be more interested in their favourite subject. Talking about themselves. We have a month (at least) to figure out who should run the party and now Paul Howes has decided to quite the race for Bob Carr's seat.

Hang on a sec??? Bob Carr hasn't resigned from what I have seen. Wtf are they on about :bang:

Union leader Paul Howes quits race to fill Bob Carr's shoes in Senate | World news | theguardian.com

Here's a tip for you - put as much effort into Australia as you do for yourself and you (and Australia) will be faaaaaaaaaaar better off :thumbsup:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
What we have now, nearly 2 weeks after the election is one of the main reasons why the ALP were such a disaster.

Whilst it appears the NLP seem to be off to a good start (all be it only 2 days in) actually concentrating on running Australia, the ALP seem to be more interested in their favourite subject. Talking about themselves. We have a month (at least) to figure out who should run the party and now Paul Howes has decided to quite the race for Bob Carr's seat.

Hang on a sec??? Bob Carr hasn't resigned from what I have seen. Wtf are they on about :bang:

Union leader Paul Howes quits race to fill Bob Carr's shoes in Senate | World news | theguardian.com

Here's a tip for you - put as much effort into Australia as you do for yourself and you (and Australia) will be faaaaaaaaaaar better off :thumbsup:

"NSW Right faction." Says it all.. Labor should kick the lot of them out. That aside, Carr was appointed to fill the vacancy left when Arbib resigned. He was appointed by Gillard and maybe he is considering his position, after all he ain't Foreign Minister any more so what's to hang around for? Wouldn't surprise me. Do I think Labor should pass the position to Howes if Carr does head for greener pastures? Hell no. He's one those that should be kicked out. Maybe Labor should seek the services of a good oncologist.

edit: As for the LNP being off to a good start, I suppose that is open to interpretation. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-...ck-the-boats-policy-is-offensive-and-/4966934 or Tony being the Minister for Women;) That one must have some in fits, I know I laughed. But at least we won't be hearing of any more boats in our papers.. Out of sight out of mind? http://au.news.yahoo.com/election/a/-/article/18775934/coalition-may-censor-boat-arrivals/ Why didn't Labor think of that? How many Mr Rudd? Sorry that is classified..

edit2: Just thinking what could be going through the man's head to appoint himself Minister for Women... "I'm not a misogynist! I'm not a racist!.. How I can I show these fools? I know! I'll make myself minister of both! That will convince them a privileged middle aged white man with power knows how they feel, their problems, their... I can relate to them... I have three daughters and a wife that will rarely be seen with me. One of them could the black sheep of the family. I have all the right ingredients.."

Come on guys tell me how he could in all good conscience do that? There's a few on the back bench that could be promoted. Kelly O'Dwyer? Not my favorite but worth a go. Maybe he should have given the portfolio to Pyne;) It'd be a better fit. In fact I bet if you look at all the backbench women's creds, they'd put some front benchers to shame. Not that crazy from my home state of WA though, Michaelia Cash(sorry she's in the Senate).. I don't think it comes down to affirmative action/quota argument, that's a strawman, there are capable women in the LNP.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
"NSW Right faction." Says it all.. Labor should kick the lot of them out. That aside, Carr was appointed to fill the vacancy left when Arbib resigned. He was appointed by Gillard and maybe he is considering his position, after all he ain't Foreign Minister any more so what's to hang around for? Wouldn't surprise me. Do I think Labor should pass the position to Howes if Carr does head for greener pastures? Hell no. He's one those that should be kicked out. Maybe Labor should seek the services of a good oncologist.

edit: As for the LNP being off to a good start, I suppose that is open to interpretation. Indonesian MP Tantowi Yahya says Coalition's asylum seeker policy threatens to damage relations - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

TBH - meh. Perhaps we should grow a set and stop tip toeing around the situation because we are so scared of offending anybody. So ####ing what if we offend Indonesia by asking them to fulfil their obligations? What are they going to do? Stop accepting the hundreds of million $ (billion?) aid we give them?

or Tony being the Minister for Women;) That one must have some in fits, I know I laughed.
But at least we won't be hearing of any more boats in our papers.. Out of sight out of mind? Coalition may censor boat arrivals - Yahoo!7 Why didn't Labor think of that? How many Mr Rudd? Sorry that is classified..

You do realize it says nothing of the sort. How about lets see what the actual procedure will be before extrapolating a tit bit of news into something it's not. Btw - I'm surprised you would even happen accross such an artical being a Murdoch news outllet and all. Hmmm - matter of fact I'm amazed it exists at all due to their out and out bias, or maybe it's not quite what the ALP make it out to be ;)

edit2: Just thinking what could be going through the man's head to appoint himself Minister for Women... "I'm not a misogynist! I'm not a racist!.. How I can I show these fools? I know! I'll make myself minister of both! That will convince them a privileged middle aged white man with power knows how they feel, their problems, their... I can relate to them... I have three daughters and a wife that will rarely be seen with me. One of them could the black sheep of the family. I have all the right ingredients.."

Are you saying he is a misogynist racist?

Come on guys tell me how he could in all good conscience do that? There's a few on the back bench that could be promoted. Kelly O'Dwyer? Not my favorite but worth a go.

Possibly but the new government have decided to cut (there's the evil word again) down on the ministry and roll a heap of minor portfolios together more like the pre RGR era. Its probalby a bit early to say that it's a good or bad idea I'd suggest.

Either way, for better or worse, weather you like the policies or not, the government seems to be concentrating on Australia compared to the ALP who are still more interested in themselves.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Carr's term in office will expire in July 2014 and any replacement would not be expected to occur before that time. However, Carr accepted the appointment to the Senate on the grounds that he was appointed Foreign Minister, a role he had yearned for over many years whilst in state politics and after. As he has now lost that role, he might decide to leave early (and good riddance - he was a frigging awful Premier and responsible in no small way for the rot that set in within NSW Labor).

As for Howes - well, if Labor was truly and utterly desperate, they would appoint this clown to the Senate. However, it appears he has now pulled back from wanting such an appointment, and we should all be grateful for that.

Regarding the current attacks on Abbott over the small number of female Ministers. I love the way Labor is giving Abbott heaps over such an issue when he has just wiped the floor with them in the election. They scored the lowest primary vote in over 100 years, which is a pretty fair indication of what the national electorate thought of them, and the best they can do is whinge and moan about who the Coalition Ministry is comprised of. It seems they haven't learnt very much from their drubbing.