Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Errrr, last I checked, being more informed make you more intelligent. Anyway, we are both saying the same thing using different words. :D

No it doesn't, it makes you more learned. You are as intelligent as you will ever get. People can't get smarter, they just learn more and make informed decisions on what they have learned.

With age comes wisdom, not intelligence.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
NOT that I want to get into a big debate about this, but technically you can become more intelligent.

Intelligence is defined as:

"the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills."

From a cognitive perspective, the more knowledge you have the more easily it is for you to acquire new, related knowledge and apply that knowledge more readily.

Therefore technically, your ability to acquire knowledge and skills improves thus making you more intelligent.

Also, the common thought is that as a child your capacity to acquire new knowledge and apply it is greater than it is when you are an adult. So technically this suggests that you become LESS intelligent as you get older. While this does effectively suggest the opposite of my previous statement, it does give merit to the argument that intelligence is something that is not a constant but constantly changing and therefore it is possible to "improve" or "increase" it.

However, this is still a hotly debated topic in the worlds of psychology and education, so I guess it's still all rather subjective given different perspectives lead to different conclusions.

Even the definition of intelligence is contested and again the chosen definition would guide opinions on if you can in fact become more "intelligent".

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Also, the common thought is that as a child your capacity to acquire new knowledge and apply it is greater than it is when you are an adult. So technically this suggests that you become LESS intelligent as you get older.

Ahh, fuggitt! I'm already there.......

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
No it doesn't, it makes you more learned. You are as intelligent as you will ever get. People can't get smarter, they just learn more and make informed decisions on what they have learned.

With age comes wisdom, not intelligence.

Wrong. Jester is right with his answer on this. But like I said earlier, I don't want to get into it when we both mean the same thing! So, ENOUGH!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's all subjective I suppose. I have always taken the meaning of intelligence as your capacity to learn, not how good your memory is. Remembering **** and applying it is cunning, not intelligent. Being able to think laterally and problem solve is a better test of intelligence.

I think, anyway.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Speaking as newly posted maths teacher (lol...see random thread) re: intelligence

There is a saying in dealing with difficult students - 'If you judge a fish by is ability to climb a tree, it will always think it's dumb'. One of my student's maths may not be the best, but he is a ####ing brilliant musician. Another student I can have difficulties with is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of athletic ability. Educational psychologists generally believe in 'multiple intelligence' theory - i.e. just about everyone is good at something constructive. It may be maths, science, arts, forming relationships with people, caring for others, literature, music, the arts, sports, business etc. all these areas use different parts of the brain. I would regard intelligence as finding the thing you are good at, and running with it.

Back to Hockey, saw the film clip, had a giggle.....

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
bwahahahahahahahahaha :lmao:

10341569_724404410939311_9160259656501463823_n.jpg

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
surely can't be any more silly than battlelines......

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
This is from Sam Trethewey. Sam Trethewey is a third generation Victoria farmer. He's an opinionated writer for Fairfax Agricultural Media and commentates nationally on Australian agriculture:

THE frenzy of knee-jerk tantrums and narrow views some Australians have shown in response to this year’s federal budget highlights a few issues.

Scott Pape, the impressively politically independent ‘Barefoot Investor’ put it beautifully in his post-budget review: “We’ve been conditioned to look at the budget the same way a nine-year-old looks at presents under a Christmas tree — what’ve you got for me? And for far too long far too many politicians have behaved like they're Santa Claus”.

The economic situation we face today is similar to 1996, where a new Liberal government was met with an unexpected mound of debt due to years of previous treasurers not rolling up their sleeves at budget time. The response was similar then, with waning polls and much unrest among Australian voters. But this time it’s worse. Why?

Aside from huge rises in the number of Australians on welfare and snowballing sentiments on social media, the Australian culture has also changed. It seems to be eaten away by people shunning personal responsibility, accountability and newly stained by narcissism.

Last week I listened to ‘All In The Mind’ on ABC’s Radio National. One of the guests was Dr Jean Twenge, professor of Psychology at San Diego State University. For 35 minutes she discussed her new book, The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement.

Coincidentally, the next day I watched Treasurer Joe “the age of entitlement is over” Hockey front up to a foolhardy audience on ABC TV’s Q and A, that seemed to feel well informed enough to ask probing questions of the Federal Treasurer on national TV after reading dot-points on the budget in the local paper.

Looking around, and according to Jean Twenge, unfortunately for this government, they may be battling a new culture. And along with the tyranny of political correctness that cripples progression in western society, it’ll be near impossible to manage this one.

Getting a part self-obsessed culture to look past their own prejudiced opinions enough to consider something bigger than themselves is a gutsy move.

Dr Twenge has tapped into the Narcissistic Personality Inventory (NPI) that was documented in 1988, and has since combed through 15,000 tests from students between 1982 and 2006 and done numerous studies and papers on narcissism.

Aside from the NPI, they’ve assessed a wide range of key indicators, from changes in baby names to make kids stand out, through to the language used in books from 1960 to 2008. Apparently, we’re using "I, me and mine", a lot more than "we, us and team". Values on materialism and vanity have risen dramatically and we’re prone to more shallow and dysfunctional relationships.

Dr Twenge also blows apart the fallacy that self-esteem is necessary for good grades at school or even success. She claims that by trying to boost children’s self-esteem, we’re breeding a generation that think they’re special, and when confronted with a world that doesn’t think they are, they can spiral into feeling lost and confused. The sugar coated conditioning painfully erodes as reality in later years sets in. Unsurprisingly, Dr Twenge has then dealt with studies that show a correlation between spikes in narcissism and rises in depression and anxiety.

On Facebook last week, I saw people protest and attack with poor and misinformed arguments. Nothing new there, but I was repeatedly fired upon after commenting on Sydney Morning Herald posts simply for being a farmer, who apparently gets handouts and government assistance all the time; they couldn’t be further from the truth. It reminded me of spoilt little children after a treasure hunt, elbows out, hoarding their goodies and peeking either side to see if someone got something they didn’t.

At home on the farm, aside from a diesel fuel rebate, we get nothing else. And the diesel fuel rebate is simply a refund of the ‘road tax’ component per litre of fuel as we don’t use our machinery on the roads. Other industries get a similar deal.

A combined effort is required by media and voters to be more informed on the big picture not forgetting the long-term. How else will we achieve national economic resilience and feed the wave of new pensioners soon coming in for a feed?