Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Truth is subjective. Facts aren't. Belief is becoming a mental illness

Thruth is fact. You don't swear to tell the facts in court yet you are.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thruth is fact. You don't swear to tell the facts in court yet you are.

I would suggest you educate yourself further. Facts are steadfast, acknowledged and accepted. Truth is discovered, or created. This is why you swear to tell truth not fact. Truth is not fact, nor are they in any way synonymous

Truth: "Yes your honour he wore a red hat"

Fact: The witness is colour blind, the hat is actually green

You catching on? Or are we going into "you misinterpreted me, this is why I'm right and the whole world is wrong" territory

Last edited:

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I would suggest you educate yourself further. Facts are steadfast, acknowledged and accepted. Truth is discovered, or created. This is why you swear to tell truth not fact. Truth is not fact, nor are they in any way synonymous

Truth: "Yes your honour he wore a red hat"

Fact: The witness is colour blind, the hat is actually green

You catching on? Or are we going into "you misinterpreted me, this is why I'm right and the whole world is wrong" territory

Umm......colour blind witness is not a very good analogy.
If the fact was known the witness was colour blind, then the witness testimony of the hat colour would not be considered a truth in the first place.

Truth and Fact are synonymous, and often there is 'context' to consider.

The definition of Truth: That which is true, or in accordance with fact or reality
The definition of Fact: A thing that is known, or proved to be true

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Umm......colour blind witness is not a very good analogy.
If the fact was known the witness was colour blind, then the witness testimony of the hat colour would not be considered a truth in the first place.

Truth and Fact are synonymous, and often there is 'context' to consider.

The definition of Truth: That which is true, or in accordance with fact or reality
The definition of Fact: A thing that is known, or proved to be true

It's truth to the witness. Like religion is truth to the believer. Still not fact. Truth can be built on fact but has space for belief, deduction, perception and perspective. Truth can steer the unobjective mind into falsities. We see this everyday

Fact: the sun rises in the east, passes over and sets in the west
Derived truth: the sun revolves around the earth
Actual truth: the earth rotates

You can argue one but not the other. Point is fact is fact. Immovable, proven. Truth is not, whether you like or understand the analogy. You're right though, 'is not synonymous' should be stated as 'may not be synonymous'. I'm happy with semantics

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As a cop said to me just recently after a car accident Outside Our place, witness statements vary greatly even though they all saw the same thing, yet each witness was telling the truth as they saw it, their perspective. I supplied video footage Of the whole sequence of events which they were most thankful for as witness testimony is often less reliable than people think!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My sister always believes in telling people the "truth". Just because you believe it's true doesn't always mean it's acceptable to say. Probably why she doesn't have may friends and has a new job every second month.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
My sister always believes in telling people the "truth". Just because you believe it's true doesn't always mean it's acceptable to say. Probably why she doesn't have may friends and has a new job every second month.
Id like her more than the priest at my church I was complaining to him about a job I had changing light globes where they were telling me the old globes were being recycled. Yeah they are being recycled at the tip by throwing them in land fill , ole mate said Id look past that and just do my job.
The country is full of gutless yes men that work on suckhole points which seams more important than doing the right thing.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
It's truth to the witness. Like religion is truth to the believer. Still not fact. Truth can be built on fact but has space for belief, deduction, perception and perspective. Truth can steer the unobjective mind into falsities. We see this everyday

Fact: the sun rises in the east, passes over and sets in the west
Derived truth: the sun revolves around the earth
Actual truth: the earth rotates

You can argue one but not the other. Point is fact is fact. Immovable, proven. Truth is not, whether you like or understand the analogy. You're right though, 'is not synonymous' should be stated as 'may not be synonymous'. I'm happy with semantics

Your analogies are.....really awful.
Your second analogy confuses planetary orbits with axial rotations.
And comparing a colour blind witness with a religious believer is an even worse analogy.

If you are going to go the straw man path and bring individual personal 'beliefs' into this, then you are lost in the woods and simply making up statements to suit your narrative in an attempt to confuse people into thinking you know what your saying.

An individuals 'personal truth' (or belief) is a philosophical and subjective thought process
Truth of Fact is a scientific or logical thought process

In addition, facts can change over time, as new information or evidence become available.

Facts and Truth ARE synonymous....I've already proven this fact ;)....check your dictionary.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Your analogies are.....really awful.
Your second analogy confuses planetary orbits with axial rotations.
And comparing a colour blind witness with a religious believer is an even worse analogy.

If you are going to go the straw man path and bring individual personal 'beliefs' into this, then you are lost in the woods and simply making up statements to suit your narrative in an attempt to confuse people into thinking you know what your saying.

An individuals 'personal truth' (or belief) is a philosophical and subjective thought process
Truth of Fact is a scientific or logical thought process

In addition, facts can change over time, as new information or evidence become available.

Facts and Truth ARE synonymous....I've already proven this fact ;)....check your dictionary.

If a fact 'changes' it was never a fact. Facts do not change. Truth's and theory changes. You are clearly very confused but that's okay if you have to be right and centuries of wisdom have to be wrong

You went a dictionary? That's pretty funny. I like it when people try to sound smart via philosophising subjects and principles they clearly do not understand. Most people go to university for years to study works of a millennia but if Webster's and Google is your thing, feel free. It's almost like Shane has two accounts. One for drinking and one for the sober times

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
If a fact 'changes' it was never a fact. Facts do not change. Truth's and theory changes. You are clearly very confused but that's okay if you have to be right and centuries of wisdom have to be wrong

You went a dictionary? That's pretty funny. I like it when people try to sound smart via philosophising subjects and principles they clearly do not understand. Most people go to university for years to study works of a millennia but if Webster's and Google is your thing, feel free. It's almost like Shane has two accounts. One for drinking and one for the sober times

You brought religion and belief into it, not me. You're analogies are awful....still.
And I like dictionaries....they're fun, one should never be ashamed about consulting a dictionary.:cool:

Lets get back to the original issue, 'ey.........you stated...." Truth is not fact, nor are they in any way synonymous "

A fact, is true by its very nature.....which makes truth and fact synonymous
(I'm not saying these two words can be infinitely interchanged though)

A truth can also be a fact.
If you ask me how much money I have in the bank right now and I tell you I have $10,000, then I show you my bank statement and it shows a $10,000 balance, I was telling a truth (being truthful) and stating a fact.
In this instance a truth was also a fact.

Today I have $10,000 in the bank, that's a fact (I showed you my statement)
In 12 months time this fact will probably have changed due to interest earned, deposits and withdrawals.
Some facts can change over time.