Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JCL's VS Ute

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Model:
1995 VS Ute (Povo Pack)

Colour:
Diablo Red

Bodykit:
Standard

Engine Type:
Ecotec V6

Exhaust:
Was Standard
Now Manta 2.5" cat back

Gearbox:
Auto

Diff:
Standard

Wheels:
Black powdercoated VX SS

Suspension:
Pedders sports rider front and back but with King spring standard height in rear

Brakes:
VT front brake upgrade with slotted rotors

Stereo:
Pioneer Head Unit

Interior:
Standard

Non Standard additions:
  • VT Brake upgrade with slotted rotors
  • Performance Chip
  • Press stud tonneau cover
  • Pedders suspension (Rear springs were changed to standard height though)
  • Powedercoated VX SS rims
  • Manta 2.5" catback exhaust

Things done since owning:
  • Manta catback exhaust
  • Swapped from LVL1 to LVL2 cluster
  • Basic seat covers and floor mats
  • Pioneer Bluetooth head unit
  • Rocker cover gaskets
  • Battery tray rust repair
  • Started cutting back with Meguirs Ultimate compound
  • Clear indicators

Futures Mods:
Nothing major - have picked up some King spring low for the rear - not looking to go to Superlows as ill be using the tray a lot for renovations at my house. Maybe an SS lip kit and auto shift kit. Probably the only thing the car could really use are some new seats - (might try and get some VS statesman seats in it rather than the $30 seat covers that are in it now) and obviously everyone would love the paint refreshed. It was pretty faded when I got it but Ive been cutting it back with Meguirs ultimate compound and then waxing it and its really really helped it.

My Story:

Ive been a Commodore lover from way back - My first car was a VH SL 202 that I converted to a SLE mockup with a 253 swap. It was an awesome cruiser and it was my opportunity to learn how to service and maintain my own car which basically fuelled my passion for cars ever since.

After the VH I had a VK Berlina that was grandpa spec which I drove for a couple of years before having a VN handed down to my from my dad which was the last Commodore I owned until I finished uni and moved on to corporate life. About 5 years ago I bought a 71 Mini Clubman with a 1275 motor and played around with it for a few years. It was as close to a go-kart as I imagine you can have on the road and I loved it. After starting a family I sold it to buy a bigger house and for the past few years havent had a car I would call 'my own'.

I decided to sell off our little 2003 Astra Sri hatchback and buy a VS ute about a month ago and started the hunt. There were a lot of clapped out P plater cars that I avoided before finding one owned by a former motor mechanic which had a lot of the work I would have looked to do to a stock one already done. He was a great guy and even put a new tailgate on it and painted it for me because we got on so well. I picked it up 3 weeks ago and have been fiddling around getting it ready for its initial RWC check. The car will be used as my daily driver and to help with renovations of my house so Im not looking for a show car by any means. I still want it to look nice and run as well as possible though so have a few minor plans

After its initial check it needed:
  • New Windscreen
  • Front strut dust boots
  • Auto pan gasket
  • Panhard rod bushes
  • Rotors machined

Thats all been done now and I picked it up this morning and will be going to register it next week. I feel like myself again in a Commodore - its a funny feeling.

Some pics:

20160510_124428.jpg

20160510_151410.jpg

20160510_151434.jpg

20160510_151458.jpg

20160510_151525.jpg

20160510_151607.jpg

20160510_151630.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Nice pickup mate.

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Thanks guys - im looking forward to registering it next week

Any thoughts on the black wheels? Im not sure about them - feels like police bait a bit. Im on the lookout for VE Internationals

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Looks very clean mate the rims look pretty good. Guessing your not exactly a P plater age so even if they are cop bait who cares, its a v6 commie you got nothing to worry about. I drive a bright blue one with gold simmons 260rwk lol and touch wood zero problems with cops. Evan when done speeding last year cop didnt even pop bonnet.
Keep it clean looking like it is and cops will leave you alone

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Changed all the fluids today including power steering fluid which helped a lot with the groaning i was having. Washed and polished and have since taken off the side mirrors because a previous owner has painted them the wrong colour red and its very noticeable in person. Im going to paint them black as I think it will suit it better.

20160619_135301.jpg

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea thought mirrors looked funny, dont see many red utes.

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Yeah I havent seen many red ones kicking around. Ive seen 1 only since I picked this one up. I think the advantage of the red one seems to be the clear stays intact nicely. The red fades a little but with the cutting compound i have been using and polish and wax it has come up 100 times better so from afar looks great.

Painted my engine cover dark grey last night and ended up just ordering new black mirrors as I had a go at painting them and thought i could get away sanding the existing paint and going over the top but the new paint clashed and cracked so i couldnt be bothered and for $40 each bought new ones.

I also put in my king spring low's in the rear last night but had to take them out when it was clear that they had actually been chopped and were probably ultra low height. Looked terrible with the front much higher

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Put on my black mirrors last night. Next on the list will be to repaint the plastic window trim at the back of the quarter glass

20160622_214042.jpg

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Very clean looking ute, you've done some nice work.

I think a debadge would clean it up too