Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JDM-Style Blast Pipes on a VE?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Why such half measures...

bosozoku-cars-1.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
iu

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
But each to their own, you're in Aussie so I say go right ahead :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Please, WTF does janky mean, WTF is a blast pipe? (I'm old and cranky)
janky
adjective
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
  1. of extremely poor or unreliable quality.
    "the software is pretty janky"​
But the way slang works, it could mean anything :rolleyes:

As for blast pipe, I’d guess it means an exhaust end pipe with an increasing trumpet like taper :rolleyes:
Whatever the case by it’s ugliness it cries I want attention :p:p:p

PS: I’m also old and cranky :p

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
WTF is a blast pipe?
Just straight through shotgun style pipes at the end of the exhaust (no muffler), can be single or double pipes. Most of them don't stick a kilometer out the back of the car like the Americans have started doing on the regular either. Surprised you've never heard the term janky though.

For some reason this is the only good example I can find. This is the majority of them:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The term is also most likely from the majority being on straight piped turbocharged cars (mostly Japanese ones because they're all turbo) where the turbo acts as enough of a muffler to not have it be stupid loud, but anytime fuel enters the exhaust it will ignite and make lots of noise. Them being angled up slightly also makes them kinda like a gun when this happens (for noise anyway).

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just straight through shotgun style pipes at the end of the exhaust (no muffler), can be single or double pipes. Most of them don't stick a kilometer out the back of the car like the Americans have started doing on the regular either. Surprised you've never heard the term janky though.

For some reason this is the only good example I can find. This is the majority of them:
maxresdefault.jpg

The young guy at work with the worked VF Redline did this to his exhaust, twin pipes sticking out each side about 200mm. Looks hideous, he also took out the mufflers and it's obnoxiously loud. Never got a chance to take a pic unfortunately before I got shown the door.

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Nope, first time I've the word was in this thread, must have lived a sheltered life...
Me too. I interpreted it as an abbreviation of 'just wanky'. The Seppos have beaten us to this one.

PS....... I am extremely old and cranky. Especially with loud exhausts, of the type which were so cool in the 1960s and '70s.
I watched to Bathurst 12 Hour race yesterday, and can't wait for the silent electric version of the race. ;)