Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jeez the engine is good!

sirrichard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Hey all,

I'm new here. Over the last decade I have had 7 or so different XR6T's or VE SS-V's.

Its fair to say I know all models and variants very well. I drive them pretty hard by normal standards so I know lots about their handling.

I'm now in a VF SS-V. I've had it for a few weeks. I was lucky and scored one pretty early.

Anyway, just a quick post to say they are amazing. Its like a completely different car from the VE.

What also surprised me, aside from the million things massively improved, is the performance increase.

Its definitely not just the weight. I reckon the engine mapping has been vastly changed.

The result is the car can break traction almost as easily as my last BF XR6T which had stupid amounts of torque everywhere.

So in the rain, you need to take much more care.

In the dry, there are more times when you start losing traction in a straight line under power.

Starting to accelerate out of corners - focus because you can now go sideways a fair bit easier!

Its really an unexpected bonus as I thought there might be a little difference from 40kg weight loss, but not this. This is closer to what I would expect after a custom tune.

I havent yet taken it up into the hills or somewhere interesting. Some time soon.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it here.

Im doing a write up for my blog, but it wont be as comprehensive as my original VE post. (Assuming I get off my butt and finish it).

One last thing...I have not been able to find any dyno sheets for a VF SS-V or similar on the internet - does anyone know of any so I can see the figures and curves? If not, anyone know a friendly dyno guy in Melb who might be interested in putting it on for a quick run?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The vf ss's have the same power output as the ve versions

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Same power doesn't mean it doesn't go better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The vf ss's have the same power output as the ve versions

That first dyno video showed the VF 235rwkw 'almost' out of box, I presumed the electric steering freed up some wasps like a pulley.
[video=youtube_share;NG1yBr3k6DE]http://youtu.be/NG1yBr3k6DE[/video]
He plays down the 'other mods' a bit though!

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
That first dyno video showed the VF 235rwkw 'almost' out of box, I presumed the electric steering freed up some wasps like a pulley.
[video=youtube_share;NG1yBr3k6DE]http://youtu.be/NG1yBr3k6DE[/video]
He plays down the 'other mods' a bit though!

Some dyno lower, some higher. If you can tell the difference between 10rwkw, then you've got a really sensitive bum.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Gear ratios have been fiddled with too which helps a fair bit from what I've read.

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
My tuner was surprised when he looked at my VF ssv redline and said that they have more aggressive tune than the ve. Still the same power but how it is put to the wheels.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I had a look over the ecu tune for the VF. Main points as as follows.

1. 0-2500rpm power enrichment more delayed to save fuel.
2. Past 2500pm.... More after the 3500rpm mark enrichment starts kicking in a lot earlier then on the VE's which is what makes it feel quicker to get on with it. It's the first time they've changed it since 06. It gives a much better feel to the car as u climb the revs ready for take off on a roll.
3. There has been revisements to the throttle itself.... Which mostly changes it's character or general feel, helps control power better etc.
4. Major revisements to knock retard and recovery settings to help reduce less bogging down and also aid fuel economy for different fuels.
5. Lots of little tweaks to 'use less power' internally to help aid economy and give it extra punch.
6. Major refinements to the cars air calculations to give greater and more accurate airflow monitoring = better everything.

It's still mostly a series's 2 engine but with some good refinements done to suit the new hardware in the car etc.

But mostly the cars engine is good = revised throttle map and faster throttle/fuel enrichment where u want it.

With just mild changes to the tune this would take down a stock XR6 turbo with ease.

I don't know if it has a different cam or what not, I've only been looking thru the tune myself. Looks like they've done a great stock tune that mixes what they usually do with their safe Holden tuners but is now mixed with what the people want so.

The VF does look good but I just personally wished they had more of a stock exhaust note, eg. Bi-modal stock standard on a basic SS they are 45k starting price after all... They could also use some damn paddle shifters nice big rounded ones.

They have remote start but no paddle shift I mean c'mon!