Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

job done: intake manifold gaskets

99_VT_Olympic_Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic Wagon 3.8
hey guys,
just changed the intake manifold gaskets on my 3.8ltr V6 ecotech and thought I'd share some pictures. Car has done close to 290.000km and is a 99 VT Series II. Going by the date imprinted on the old gaskets and the state they are in, this might actually be the first time this job was done on this car.

These symptoms were the reasons why I decided to do the job:
- oil sludge in radiator (visible under radiator cap)
- oil leak at the back of the manifold, oil running down the back of the engine
- slight coolant leak through one of the manifold bolts
- engine idles a bit rough (but not bad at all)

As the photos show, it was a good idea to change the gaskets:
DSC_0023s.jpgDSC_0025s.jpgDSC_0028s.jpg

I got a Payen gasket set (HA5001) for $129 at Repco. Not cheap, but IMO better quality than the ezyfit set ($75 at supercheap). If you're planning on keeping the car for longer the aluminium gaskets by Mace would be the way to go.

After extensive cleaning:
DSC_0048.jpgDSC_0039s.jpg

And finally...engine started 1st time, runs and purrs. No leaks, idles nicely. :spot on:

Might change the oil + filter on the weekend just to be save.

All in all it took me 12 hours (over the long weekend)...big part of it was cleaning though. And I've not done this before.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Nice job. I might do this as well. I've always had terrible luck with gaskets and seals. I plan to do the rocker cover gaskets as I think they are busted so may do the intake manifold gasket while I'm at it.

12 hour job? seems like a long time. Have holidays coming up so maybe I will do it than. Was the job at all difficult?

As for cleaning what did you use?

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
I got a Payen gasket set (HA5001) for $129 at Repco. Not cheap, but IMO better quality than the ezyfit set ($75 at supercheap). If you're planning on keeping the car for longer the aluminium gaskets by Mace would be the way to go.

Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Mace Engineering Group

Do you think the Mace Aluminum Gasket is better than the Repco one? The Mace seems to be slightly cheaper. But maybe because most things online are cheaper.

99_VT_Olympic_Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice job. I might do this as well. I've always had terrible luck with gaskets and seals. I plan to do the rocker cover gaskets as I think they are busted so may do the intake manifold gasket while I'm at it.

12 hour job? seems like a long time. Have holidays coming up so maybe I will do it than. Was the job at all difficult?

As for cleaning what did you use?

well a slow 12 hours - I'm sure someone more experienced could do it in 8 hours.

On a scale from 1 being checking tyre pressure to 10 being a complete engine rebuild, I'd rate this job around 5.

I did the rocker covers last year, they are much easier since you don't need to release the coolant and there's not many things to remove. Also the higher risk of dirt falling into the engine makes the intake manifold job more challenging.

Have a look at Hot-Rod's excellent How To, i found that very helpful:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...d-gasket-replacement-6hr-includes-pics.187621

Most of the cleaning I did with a blade, just be careful not to scratch the manifold (aluminium). Also very fine sandpaper and then a rag with throttle body cleaner to degrease. When I did the rocker cover gaskets I sharpened a plastic chop stick with a file and used it as a mini scrapper to get the gasket residue out of the covers without damaging anything.

Last edited:

99_VT_Olympic_Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Mace Engineering Group

Do you think the Mace Aluminum Gasket is better than the Repco one? The Mace seems to be slightly cheaper. But maybe because most things online are cheaper.

I've read good reviews about the Mace gaskets on this forum and I would have bought them too if I had the time to wait for the delivery. I looked at the ezyfit ones at SCA and honestly, if they were the only other option, I would have waited for the Mace gaskets. But the set I got from Repco (it said Payen on the box, the gasket itself said felpro) seemed pretty good to me. And in my case, with the car almost at 300000km I don't think I'll be replacing those again. :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
(it said Payen on the box, the gasket itself said felpro)
Felpro make excellent gaskets, I used them years ago in 302 and 351 V8's and always had excellent results from them.

wilkos mechs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore vx v6 3.8 executive
Just did my v6 vx in four hours with Aluminum gaskets from mace, but spent about 3 hours cleaning second hand inlet manifold before hand. Easy job, had apart in 1 hour. Cleaning is the most part of time taken. To clean use oven cleaner the strong one. Cleans amazingly and rinses off great and cleans ports as well. Dont waste money doing it any other way. I did then used oven cleaner and that was way quicker
$100 for gaskets from mace, and $45 for inlet manifold gasket set which includes plenum chamber and thermostat housing as well as the two O- rings needed. Got to shop around. replaced both hoses as well as radiator cap and high flush thermostat. Getting fluid in is a pain, but I put lower radiator hose on then filled via thermostat housing hole before putting thermostat and housing on, then filled the rest. This way you avoid a lot of the air caught inside, then filled after over a couple of runs after it had cooled. Car runs so much better.
If you are keen polish the plenum chamber and the ports on the inlet manifold, gets it running even better. I did this and car is much quicker.