Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

joining the defence force

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
your initial minimum period of service is different for each job in the forces.
it will tell you everything you need to know on the defencejobs site, and every job has a downloadable pdf containing information on wages, service periods, physical requirements, training, etc which you will need to know backwards before you go to your interview.

When I was interviewed the officer said to me that the army is one of the few jobs that tell you everything you need to know/say for the interview beforee you even get there, and as such they expect you to know it all back to front..

I actually have to go back on the 25th with medical reports stating everything is cleared up (tore my toenail off a little while before my first interview) but as long as you can show them you know exactly what you're getting yourself into there should be no problems mate. Good luck with it

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
depends on the service your in

army not sure
airforce not sure
navy, if it's a operational deployment, anywhere from 6 to 12 months
if it's a non operational deployment, anywhere from 1 week, upto 4 months at a time.
when on a war ship, you can expect to be away from loved ones for a long period of time

PORT3R

WTB: 1 money tree
Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VQ stato
was thinkin of the army reserve, i already have a permanent job, so i wont be goin full time.

Been given mixed responses with the reserves, or the "weekend warriors" as i've been told they r called. But as i always say, its better to join in the reserves then not join at all. Its all the same job in the end.

been told to do the combat engineering because of my civil background, but i'd rather choose something different then the same old job i do normally.

Anyone in the army- is the fitness standard the same in the reserves? What reputation do reservists get around regular army?

From my experiance, reserves isn't really worth it. I would only go full-time. Technically, it's only the "same job" when you are deployed, if you get deployed that is. All you will do is go in every Tuesday night for parade, and get payed around $120 a fortnight. When you are deployed, you do the duties as if you were a full-time soldier. As for fitness, it's the exact same for chocos as it is for full-timers. Basic level you need for entry is 15 pushups, 40 situps, 7.5 beep test (piss easy). Once you go to Kapooka, it goes up slightly, but it's still very laughable. Reputation wise, you cop a bit of flack from the full-timers, but it's all a bit of a game to be honest. It's not like they are out to get you or anything, but they will give you **** because you "havn't got the guts" to be a full-timer and crap like that. But overall, if you want to go reserves, it's a good experiance, but don't do it unless you are 100% dedicated, as the training you have to do can be extremely demanding at times.

Btw, I'm a rifleman in reserves :p Lol

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
depends on the service your in

army not sure
airforce not sure
navy, if it's a operational deployment, anywhere from 6 to 12 months
if it's a non operational deployment, anywhere from 1 week, upto 4 months at a time.
when on a war ship, you can expect to be away from loved ones for a long period of time

What's a non operational deployment?

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
Come August this yr ive been in the Army for 3years though im still in training as a Telecommunications Systems Technician (RASIGS - Royal Australian Signals Corps) which you sign up for a minimum of 6years.
Operational deployments are 8months in Iraq, Afgan, Timor etc
Non operational deployments are exercises conducted in Australia (eg Talisman Saber)
Only during basic training (Kapooka) do you have have to get up at 0600hr and by 0615hr you have to be shaven, dressed, beds made and bedtime is 2200he (10pm)
Once you leave Kapooka you begin your IET's (Intial Employment Training) where you are basically in school again learning everything you need to know about your job and you start work at 0730hr and is basically school with an hr for lunch (1200 - 1300hr) and knock off work around 1600hr (4pm) after your finished for the day your time is your own eg go get drunk, shopping, cruising etc
In my job as a Telecom Sys Tech when not deployed or on exercise i basically make sure all the equipment is servicable eg not broken and test new equipment
When on exercise i run communications cable (internet, phone lines etc) and maintain commications link whether they are Radio, Cable or Satellite links.
PT (Physical Training) is conducted almost daily and has a wide varity of activities which leave you feeling f***d but is still good
if you have any other questions feel free to pm me and ill do my best to answer them

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
thanks for all the replys guys heaps of really good info here, im kinda thinking i might go for boatswains mate, seems pretty good pretty active and all im also considering rifleman or main battle tank crewman

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
thanks for all the replys guys heaps of really good info here, im kinda thinking i might go for boatswains mate, seems pretty good pretty active and all im also considering rifleman or main battle tank crewman

ok, ill try to sum up a boatswains mate role nice and easy for ya.

as a bm (boatswain mate) when along side, you paint, you paint and paint and paint and paint the ship, do the ships husbandry.

when on a ship, and at sea, you paint, and paint and paint, and do dammage control exercises, yada yada yada, aim higher than boatswain mate champ, they are the **** kickers of the navy. if there is a crap job, they will do it, ages ago they use to be called gd's, general duties sailors. so yeah, aim higher, heaps higher.

and if you want fun, aim for either a major fleet war ship, i.e. a ffg or tanker, or patrol boats. takes a special type of person to serve on a sub, someone with nervs of steel, somethign i couldnt do

mcrow5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2

i originally went to join as a boatswains mate, but my cousins fiancée is a boatswains mate trainer, and he told me that the bm school is closed down, and are only taking people in if members already being a bm retire/ quit. so id really consider another job, i went for a combat systems operator, as my cousins fiancée said they have the most fun.

i was really pissed off, passing the interview stage and getting through, and they didnt tell me a thing about the school closing down. so to save you any frustration, i thought id let you know.

got my interview for the combat systems operator on the 1st of July. CANT WAIT!!