Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

joining the defence force

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey Great post. I have also signed up for the Army and wanting to go in as a Vehicle Mechanic. I go for my You Season on the 7th July at 9.30am in Newcastle. Can't wait am very excited and have been training up for the fitness.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
ok, ill try to sum up a boatswains mate role nice and easy for ya.

as a bm (boatswain mate) when along side, you paint, you paint and paint and paint and paint the ship, do the ships husbandry.

when on a ship, and at sea, you paint, and paint and paint, and do dammage control exercises, yada yada yada, aim higher than boatswain mate champ, they are the **** kickers of the navy. if there is a crap job, they will do it, ages ago they use to be called gd's, general duties sailors. so yeah, aim higher, heaps higher.

and if you want fun, aim for either a major fleet war ship, i.e. a ffg or tanker, or patrol boats. takes a special type of person to serve on a sub, someone with nervs of steel, somethign i couldnt do

im not to keen on subs either creeps me out, so im aiming higher, what do you suggest some of the reasons why i like BM is because it seems to be a very active job, going out on the RHIBs and all that, what would you suggest?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
im not to keen on subs either creeps me out, so im aiming higher, what do you suggest some of the reasons why i like BM is because it seems to be a very active job, going out on the RHIBs and all that, what would you suggest?

a combat systems operator, cso on a major war ship, while at see, can work as a combat systems operator, while along side, they work the same as a boatswain mate, and while ashore, they also work the same as a boatswain mate. if thats what you want to do, be active and all, then thats probably the way to go.

either that, or head to a trade, et or a mt, electronic tech or marine tech, if i had my chance id go back in as a w rate, which is a etw, electronic tech weapon systems, not sure if they have them still, it was a stream, they use to have mtp, mth, etp etc and etw etp was a electronic tech power systems, c was for comuniction systems and w was for weapos,

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
a combat systems operator, cso on a major war ship, while at see, can work as a combat systems operator, while along side, they work the same as a boatswain mate, and while ashore, they also work the same as a boatswain mate. if thats what you want to do, be active and all, then thats probably the way to go.

what do you mean by "while along side"?

i looked up CSO on the defence jobs website seems pretty interesting and along the longs of what i want to do

also i had a look at seaman officer and that doesnt look to bad either

either that, or head to a trade, et or a mt, electronic tech or marine tech, if i had my chance id go back in as a w rate, which is a etw, electronic tech weapon systems, not sure if they have them still, it was a stream, they use to have mtp, mth, etp etc and etw etp was a electronic tech power systems, c was for comuniction systems and w was for weapos,

i have started an apprenticeship as a fitter/machinist which i am told roughly translates to a fitter armourer in the army and i supose it would the close to an MT in the navy, not sure if i want to continue with it atm

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
while along side refers to being on a active warship, but tied up to a dock somewhere, i.e. fleet base east or west, at garden island. when a ship isnt at sea sailing around, it's along side.

seamen officer, saw a few of them, they did the watches on the ship kept it pointing straight stuff like that, pretty much the people who drive the boat. i reckon a good job would be the navigator, quite a few of the navs i saw in my days were down to earth people, who were heaps of fun to serve under. one in particular was the nav on hmas brisbane, he was a bigger drinker then some of the burly cpo's or gods. ( we had 2 gods on hmas brisbane) would go out with the boys every chance he could, and was a good bloke.

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
there is a csu on the forums, static i think his name is, csu being combat systems under water, he is a sub marriner, have a chat to him, he will be able to tell you exactly what the life of a cso is all about and weather it's a good job.

all i can sugest is you have to want to join the navy, it's not for the faint hearted who love their mums, chances are you will be away for long stints at a time, with limited comunications to family members with mabey a daily email dump. if you got a girlfriend, chances are quite high it will end badly.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
all i can sugest is you have to want to join the navy, it's not for the faint hearted who love their mums, chances are you will be away for long stints at a time, with limited comunications to family members with mabey a daily email dump. if you got a girlfriend, chances are quite high it will end badly.

yeah thats whats mostly putting me off the navy and itd be pretty much the same in the army and airforce

Rishy

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Nissan GU Patrol
thanks for all the replys guys heaps of really good info here, im kinda thinking i might go for boatswains mate, seems pretty good pretty active and all im also considering rifleman or main battle tank crewman

Boatswains Mate is officially closed for a 2 year period, meaning theres no chance of getting in as one.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
Boatswains Mate is officially closed for a 2 year period, meaning theres no chance of getting in as one.

that must have just happened? my mate got in about a month ago? maybe could be longer