Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Joining the ZB crew - 2019 LT 2.0L long term review thread.

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 ZB Commodore LT 2.0T Wagon
Hey team,

I thought I would start this as a long term review of a 2019 LT 2.0L commodore wagon. Came from owning a 2006 Falcon XR6 which I had a lot of fun with, however had to move on from that to this, my first commodore.

Why I chose it:
-Wagon trim - trying for kids, so spacious interior mixed with decent cargo space is a win.
-Value - compared to passat/mondeo/octavias for the $$$/features the commodore seems like a really good value purchase and they are being advertised for a lot less $$$ than a VF in this ludicrous used marker.
-Safety - has all the airbags, this year has blind spot monitoring for the LT, collision detection/AEB at low speeds, front/rear sensors, rear cam - all a must after my falcon got written off in a hairy way which made me rethink safety features.
-LT - mainly due to budget reasons and wasn't willing to pay more for the higher trims as didn't really see how the extra features would be worth the $$$ (time will tell). Also my wife is on her Ps so I am restricted in VIC with the 2.0L as the V6 can't be driven by Ps.

Bought used at a dealer for $24k about a week ago, with 77k kms and was an ex police car.
-Service history excellent (as per any police car)
-Was serviced out country way (so hoping that means kms are mainly country which should offset any police thrashing??)
-Usual scuffs from police use, side of centre console, few small body blemishes, however paint seems to be in good condition, no flaking/fading, also the beloved 2nd battery in the boot (still working out whether to keep for camping trips or ditch so weight is reduced)
-Drivetrain/suspension seems to be in perfect nick, no noises, transmission changes smooth, takes bumps well
-In wagon LT trim, with tow bar (will do semi-regular towing of a cage trailer unbraked with it)

Initial impressions:
-Once you put the foot down it really takes off and pulls you back in your seat. Still haven't given it a good highway entry run yet, however I have been more than satisfied with how quick off the mark it is, so smoooooth. (9 speed vs the ol BTR 4 speed are worlds apart) Exhaust note is a bit quiet, would like it with a bit more grunt when giving it some.
-Android auto has been hit and miss, worked the first day I set it up and since it has been intermittent, still yet to try a few setting changes which are recommended to get it working. Overall the infotainment seems very basic at the LT level and I will need to get android auto working to really enjoy the car for GPS, music etc.
-Sound system is adequate, however lacking in bass. May look at putting a slimline one in the boot, or looking at whether a wheel well sub from the upper trims can be retrofitted to work in it.
-Front parking sensors seem rubbish, the range at which it starts to ping seems way too close and jumps in increments very quickly. I have driven other cars with front sensors that are so much more usable than these, will not be relying on them. It is also my first time having blind spot monitoring and I don't seem to notice them at all?? Can't comment on the AEB/collision detection system as haven't had it trigger on me....yet
-Seats are very comfortable, however no vertical adjustment for the passenger seat is an odd choice, why????
-Plenty of cargo space, already used for a few items, however will need some way of tying items down when there are only a few items in the back, there are two tie down points at the front of the cargo area, may need to add two to the rear as well (anyone have suggestions for this)

I have come up with the following main long term review points that I will use to measure how I perceive the car:
-Reliability (including maintenance costs/parts availability/component life/warranty etc.)
-Ability to haul gear (towing performance/cargo space use)
-Vehicle enjoyment (overall use of vehicle features/performance/comfort)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if you want a good android auto experience get AAWireless

it will add wireless functionality to the android auto so you do not need to plug the phone in and once setup it will connect automatically and switch devices automatically so if your phone is not in range but your wifes is then it will connect to her phone etc.

there is a thread talking about it here

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you want a good android auto experience get AAWireless
[/URL]

it will add wireless functionality to the android auto so you do not need to plug the phone in and once setup it will connect automatically and switch devices automatically so if your phone is not in range but your wifes is then it will connect to her phone etc.

there is a thread talking about it here
[/URL]
Thanks legend,

I wonder if its a universal issue with Android Auto when using USB, apparently there is a setting "Start Android Automatically" that can stuff it up if its not set to "Always". Yet to try though.

Will definitely look into getting the dongle. Then if I get the dongle, the next thing will be where to charge the phone, never been a fan of the cradle.
I've got an old wireless charger I can chuck somewhere which might do the trick.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I wonder if its a universal issue with Android Auto when using USB, apparently there is a setting "Start Android Automatically" that can stuff it up if its not set to "Always". Yet to try though.

when i first got my zb i had issues with android auto and it ended up being the cable, i used a short 20cm cable and it worked fine but the longer cable i had would cause it to drop out or not connect etc.
the longer cable worked fine on other vehicles but not the zb.

once i got aawireless i just leave that plugged in with a short cable and never looked back.

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
My mind is being blown by the whole remote control side mirrors, remote start....gimmicky yes, but let me be entertained for a little bit
should be useful in the extremes of winter/summer

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update:

-Ability to haul gear - does the job however like any wagon will need a cargo matt and a net to secure items, really loving my first wagon though, already loaded a few items in thinking, this would be complicated/ impossible in a sedan boot, win.

-Vehicle enjoyment - loving the electronic mirror fold in as I have to park it on the street.
Still goes hard, however without the exhaust note I don't get the same smile I did from my falcon. I still smile, just not the same.
As above, android auto constantly disconnects and has been unusable, tried various cables and will order in a wireless dongle. Can't believe so many people have issues with this, absolute joke.
Start/stop is seamless and probably the best I've ever seen it in a car, still disable it though, feels weird when I notice it, maybe just needs getting used to.
Lane assist is hit and miss, given it a bit of a test and sometimes it's amazing and really holds you from spilling out a lane, other times it won't recognise the lane at all - still consider it a good feature.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Update:

-Ability to haul gear - does the job however like any wagon will need a cargo matt and a net to secure items, really loving my first wagon though, already loaded a few items in thinking, this would be complicated/ impossible in a sedan boot, win.

-Vehicle enjoyment - loving the electronic mirror fold in as I have to park it on the street.
Still goes hard, however without the exhaust note I don't get the same smile I did from my falcon. I still smile, just not the same.
As above, android auto constantly disconnects and has been unusable, tried various cables and will order in a wireless dongle. Can't believe so many people have issues with this, absolute joke.
Start/stop is seamless and probably the best I've ever seen it in a car, still disable it though, feels weird when I notice it, maybe just needs getting used to.
Lane assist is hit and miss, given it a bit of a test and sometimes it's amazing and really holds you from spilling out a lane, other times it won't recognise the lane at all - still consider it a good feature.

yeah the cable issue is a bit annoying for the infotainment system and as i mentioned before i had to use a really short cable from a portable hdd to stop it disconnecting.
once you setup wireless you will be happy with it.

i disabled the start stop and lane assist junk in mine, i found them annoying.

another useful mod was changing out the windscreen washer jets, the ones in the zb spray in single lines but you can get different ones that spray in a fan pattern and provide much better coverage over the window.
for 34 bucks it was a useful mod for me because i use them a lot.

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah the cable issue is a bit annoying for the infotainment system and as i mentioned before i had to use a really short cable from a portable hdd to stop it disconnecting.
once you setup wireless you will be happy with it.

i disabled the start stop and lane assist junk in mine, i found them annoying.

another useful mod was changing out the windscreen washer jets, the ones in the zb spray in single lines but you can get different ones that spray in a fan pattern and provide much better coverage over the window.
for 34 bucks it was a useful mod for me because i use them a lot.
[/URL]
Mine still says it's connected on the phone still, but will disconnect on the car, is that what yours was doing??