Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Joint Number

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, because i dont have time to throw my vehicle on a hoist and check or look over the holden manual i'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to how many joints there are between the engine cranskhaft all the way to the wheels. (In a single line and in total). Both CV and Universal.

Basic idea is to replace all the joints except the rear ones with strong ones before work commences to push more power out of the engine. That way if the joints that are likely to be destroyed are then cheap ones to fix at the rear.

Still tossing up whether to actually push more power out of my engine or go with another idea i had and change between engine and wheels to get more power [no questions as yet, still a work in progress but will be really unique]. This will probably involve re-inventing the whole drive shaft though. Will make the vehicle different to drive too, might swap to a manual when doing this as well. So depends how adventerous i feel in about a years time i guess.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Two U/J's and one CV in the tailshaft and two CV's on each axle shaft.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Thanks calaber, that's what i thought, someone said that there was a period when holden was trying 7 in total.

So plan is definatly upgrade the universal joint cloest to the motor and the centre joint. Then not making the rear universal joint as strong as the front and then leaving the rear 2 CV joints not as strong as the front ones. Meaning they're easier to fix and cheaper to fix too! :)

Thanks again,
alien