Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team,

Wrote off my VZ SS Ute after hitting a roo. So back to square one with a new project.

I have named him Jimi Hendrix after his paint colour (Purple Haze). This is what I know about Jimi:

Power Train
  • Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 232/234 cam,
  • ported and shaved heads (stage 2.5 supposedly - actual specs unknown),
  • Difillipo headers
  • 3in stainless exhaust in the tray,
  • upgraded fuel pump and injectors,
  • engine mounts upgraded to tuff mounts,
  • reconditioned and upgraded T56 gearbox (apparently rated to 500kw) in the tray. The box appears fine and has not been installed. It has definitely been opened up to work on - external bleeder with braided hose has been added. A lot of oxidisation on the exterior that I needs a soda blast before painting purple to match Jimi.
  • Eaton true trac with dana 3.9 gears new in a box - (diff is just an empty pumpkin in the tray),
  • a solid centre tailshaft (in the tray) to connect the go fast bits (rated to 500kw).
Air System
  • Upgraded (larger) throttle body (make and size yet to be identified)
  • OTR came with him but does not fit due to the the recent installation of a 68mm PWR radiator.
Cooling System
  • 68mm PWR radiator with VZ thermo fan and overflow setup
Exterior
  • Clear has started to peel in a couple of locations on the passenger door, passenger rear wheel arch and roof. Will decide on a closed door some colour respray or touch up approach when I have cleaned Jimi properly.
  • Minor dent in the passenger left rear quarter and a couple in the tailgate. I have two good condition tailgates so I will paint one up as the replacement.
  • Missing the mount covers for the rear plastics (will pull them off the wrecked VZ)
  • Front bar has minor some scratches on the bottom lip. Will remain in place until I find a
Interior
  • Leather seats are a little faded and stiff. A couple of splits in the drivers seat stitching so I will get the drivers seat to the upholsterer in time. In the interim some black leather dye and plenty of leather conditioner, I will be channeling Fu's efforts on his crewman seat resto here.
  • Cab has been sound insulated to cater for the exhaust noise
  • Plastics are complete but not installed
  • Passenger cup holder is damaged and will need to be repaired/replaced
  • Aftermarket dash pod and gauges
Electrical
  • A few extra cables hanging down that I will need to work through.
  • Sony Double DIN stereo setup
  • Two amps (one behind each seat) that have messy wiring - not connected through to the battery and cable cut at battery connection point
  • Splitters bundles up with loads of wire under the dash - so I assume that new front splits have been installed.
  • Remote start (with no instructions or understanding of how it works)
  • Manual harness is in place and connected to the engine side but not through the firewall as yet
So we have a great base to start from. Let's see where it ends up.
20220725_090658 small.jpg

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Started on Jimi's electricals today while I wait for the delivery of the diff rebuild kit and I make a decision on the clutch (tossing up between the Mantic Stage 3 and Mantic 2 plate organic).

What a mess - I don't get why no care is usually taken with the electricals. Cables bundled up with tape and shoved into and behind whatever fits instead of being cut to length, twisted and taped joints instead of crimped and heatshrinked connections, and no attempt at labelling or following any colour codes.

I was able to trace and temp connect the sound system - took some doing to follow all the cables. They system is a Sony XAV-AX3000 head unit running two amps - one Clarion XR2240 4 channel and one Alpine MRX M55 Mono for the sub. Sub is in a custom fibreglass box that is shaped to the cab behind the passenger seat and the front speakers are splits - don't know details as yet.

Found channel 2 on the Clarion to be cactus so the system is running off channel 1 and 3. Need to tidy up some of the excess wiring before it goes back together but is is all functioning and puts out plenty of noise.

Power antenna spins but the rope is busted so no reception - another job on the list of things to do!

Found what appears to be a remote start grafted into the wiring under the centre console with a send box under the dash. No details and the PO advised it was in the car when he purchased it and he has never used it. More investigation required. If anyone has any experience with these systems I am all ears.

The SAAS gauges in the pod on the dash were partially connected. The feeds are dangling in the dash. Too dark to chase the input feeds but I expect to find a sandwich plate under the filter with the oil temp and pressure sensors connected. We will see tomorrow.

The instrument cluster is still showing as an automatic so I will need to jump in there with the Tech 2 and reconfigure. Odometer is reading 235K or thereabouts, still in near new condition ;)!

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Haven't progressed too much with Jimi while I wait for parts to arrive. So this is where we are at:

• Diff - ordered a rebuild kit and pinion shim kit. Will have way to many shims so if you are in need you know who to call. I have acquired a cup for the tapered bearing and will put in on the lathe and cut it down so that I can easily remove it from the diff housing. We will use this to calculate the correct shimming of the pinion.
  • Clutch - ordered a Mantic two plate organic clutch with flywheel
  • Oil Pressure/Temp gauges - sandwich plate is already installed as is the oil pressure sender. Not sure where the oil temp was getting its signal from so ordered a temp sender and will install it in sandwich plate (all cables then run to the same place)
  • Tunes - I decided to cut out the funky aerial that is connected to the demister circuit. I have ordered an Aerpro replacement that has the correct connectors and uses the original mount. Plan is the restore the original, if I can, as a spare.
  • OTR- An off the shelf solution does not look likely. I can't get either of the OTR intakes I have to work so I am pursing two solutions in parallel.
    • Plan A - cut the bottom out of the fibreglass OTR system I have to and glass up a new bottom that works with the PWR radiator system then graft it on.
    • Plan B - I have acquired a K&N CAI that picks up behind the passenger headlight. It is a MAF version so I can add a small pipe. I need to do a small mod as Jimi is using the large VZ radiator setup. I know this will work so it is.
  • Wiring - the additional cockpit wiring has been traced and identified. It is still a bit of a mess - plan is to tidy, label and document the wiring for the head unit, amps, speakers, rear camera and gauges.
  • Leather interior - drivers seat has a split seam and is splitting at the seat base. Not high on the agenda but this will need to be addressed. I am trying to locate some leather seat skins so that I can get them done. The rest of the leather is fine so a clean and treatment is in order. Picked up a treatment system from SCA and will get stuck into it tomorrow.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is that the SS inductions intake you are talking about?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Haven't progressed too much with Jimi while I wait for parts to arrive. So this is where we are at:

• Diff - ordered a rebuild kit and pinion shim kit. Will have way to many shims so if you are in need you know who to call. I have acquired a cup for the tapered bearing and will put in on the lathe and cut it down so that I can easily remove it from the diff housing. We will use this to calculate the correct shimming of the pinion.
  • Clutch - ordered a Mantic two plate organic clutch with flywheel
  • Oil Pressure/Temp gauges - sandwich plate is already installed as is the oil pressure sender. Not sure where the oil temp was getting its signal from so ordered a temp sender and will install it in sandwich plate (all cables then run to the same place)
  • Tunes - I decided to cut out the funky aerial that is connected to the demister circuit. I have ordered an Aerpro replacement that has the correct connectors and uses the original mount. Plan is the restore the original, if I can, as a spare.
  • OTR- An off the shelf solution does not look likely. I can't get either of the OTR intakes I have to work so I am pursing two solutions in parallel.
    • Plan A - cut the bottom out of the fibreglass OTR system I have to and glass up a new bottom that works with the PWR radiator system then graft it on.
    • Plan B - I have acquired a K&N CAI that picks up behind the passenger headlight. It is a MAF version so I can add a small pipe. I need to do a small mod as Jimi is using the large VZ radiator setup. I know this will work so it is.
  • Wiring - the additional cockpit wiring has been traced and identified. It is still a bit of a mess - plan is to tidy, label and document the wiring for the head unit, amps, speakers, rear camera and gauges.
  • Leather interior - drivers seat has a split seam and is splitting at the seat base. Not high on the agenda but this will need to be addressed. I am trying to locate some leather seat skins so that I can get them done. The rest of the leather is fine so a clean and treatment is in order. Picked up a treatment system from SCA and will get stuck into it tomorrow.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Cams in Melbourne
http://www.leatherseats.com.au/leather-trim-kits-diy-install.html

He has them on eBay too. Looking at about $1200 for front and back in a sedan or Crewman so a ute might be much less. Also the quality of what he does v factory is chalk and cheese. Factory is cheese.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Reactions: Lex