Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So some success today - sort of.

Insurer has come back and advised that the VZ is a write off. I have asked to purchase her back and have been given the OK to do so. So we now have a full running setup (less diff) to go into the Crewman Project (Mr Walker) and to provide any missing parts that I need. The plunder begins!

Clutch master cylinder will be first transplant - Son 2 can find his own for Mr Walker.

I have to make a decision on plundering the M80 diff for the bearing adjusters to make up for the damaged one in the TrueTrac rebuild (see TrueTrac thread here) or purchasing these.
s-l500 (1).jpg

I received news that the twin plate clutch has departed Perth, the new electric antenna arrived, and I got a line on a complete but slightly damaged Growler CAI setup. So that will probably solve the PWR radiator OTR conflict.

There may even be a couple of beer tokens left out of the insurance to send it away to have the clear coat repaired as opposed to me having to do it (I know me though - so I will probably end up doing it myself).

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Did not get any responses to my calls or advertisements regarding the diff bearing adjusters so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of the aftermarket adjusters and the adjusting tool.

I was unable to unlock Jimi with the remote yesterday so I pulled the key apart last night. A bodgie battery replacement had been done - CR2032 jammed in between a couple of pieces to tin. I soldered the tabs to the battery but the heat killed it so I also ordered two new MAP key fobs, one with a blade, plus a MAP remote programming tool.

This afternoon the stereo was re-installed using the OEM antenna cable out of the VZ. Reception is awesome - best I have ever had in Murrumbateman from any car. Need to figure out how to "tune" the two amps. The sound is pretty good as it stands just plugging it all in. I think it could be better though. We will see.

I stripped the centre console fascia from the VZ as the VY one is pretty badly damaged. Pretty much every screw tab is broken and was broken behind the dual gauges. The cubby below with the operable door also has the screw tabs broken off. I have two spare ones but the manual remote for one of the amps is wired into it. Too difficult to get out so I have ordered some plastex to do a repair. I will try to repair the rest of the plastics as well so that Mr Walker (the purple crewman project) has a decent set of plastics as well.

Can't progress much further until parts arrive - c'mon Mr Postie!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Those after market MAP keys were the bane of my life. Corrupted data. Work and not work. I have a bag of them.

Better to just get what you have copied to a genuine key. $140-ish. MrMinute

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks Fu,
I will see how it goes - hopefully I will have success. If not I guess back they go to Sparesbox. If I have no success once I have Jimi on the road and registered I will head over to the local locksmith.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What about replacing the batteries and using wire glue? I have used it on cables before. SH car dealers use it to repair rear window demisters.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
What about replacing the batteries and using wire glue? I have used it on cables before. SH car dealers use it to repair rear window demisters.
Thanks Losh

I should have done that up front. The previous "repair" was shocking and the blade flops around so the new keys won't go astray. I am looking for a solder in battery that will fit the key head so I have an "original" backup.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks Lex,

no these won't work as they are vertical mount. I have a horizontal mount one on order.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex