Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VZ ute project

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So - don't tell Mr Plod - but the beast went for a short run on a closed country circuit today to test steering, brakes etc. Passed all I requird of her but there was an oil leak when I parked the old girl up. Chucked he on the stands - there is a leak from the sump/ Looks like a hairline crack - son number two has a spare LS1 so he pulled it off and we will change it over before we hit GenTech for the tune next Wednesday. Couldn't work out how to post a video so the link below will take you to short vid of the beast before her maiden test. Please note she is in an untuned state at thsi point in time.

The beast - LS1 VCM 262 OTRCAI - untuned 1 Dec 20

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I spent an hour and a half on the headlights in preparation for clear coating them later in the week. I doub't these will be anything but the set that gets us through rego and then sits on the shelf as spares. The previous owner tried to sand the back - must have used 40 grit dry. The gouges were so deep that I couldn't get some out. The majority appears to be keyed well enough for clear coat now though.

201201 Headlights after sanding.jpg

If you take a look at the left hand light you will see the deep scratches from the previous owners "sanding" technique.

Just getting to the plastic was an effort in itself - it was hidden under numerous levels of overspry, the odd bit of spray putty and the signature black applied by a brush. After seeing how deeply they were gouged I didn't bother attacking the overspray on the undeside of the lights. I will seek a better second hand set to restore and will use this set as a learning opportunity.

So - are there some reasonably priced - or must have aftermarket options that you wise ones would recommend?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
TorqueParts do some new ones. No one does genuine new ones anymore.

$300-$380 is about the going price.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Ripped the sump of after work yesterday and found two harline cracks. Not sure how we missed them during the rebuild as one was quite obvious - we think it must have occurred when we retensioned the sump bolts. Changed the sump over for one off another motor and stuck her beck in. Had to drop the K frame and support the motor with an engine crane to get the job done but we are pretty close to having her in registerable condition.

So for the cracked sump - it is off to be rewelded for use on our spare LS1. After seeing the 28 Ford Project- I am keen to see it shoehorned into the 40s International Ute we have rusting away behind the shed. If only time was a readily available resource!

201205 Cracked sump medium.jpg

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Managed to get a half day into the old girl today. Focussed on the things that needed to be done for rego:

Clear coated the headlights:
201206_Light Coated.jpg

This is the worst light - the deep scratches are still visible; however, it will get me through rego and until I can shell out the beer tokens for an aftermarket replacement. The Duplicolour clear coat works a treat; it will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

I have finally had it with the headunit and ripped it out. I am replacing it with a JVC unit that I can connect to a reversing camera. May as well make the most of the capability. I have it up and running less the SWC. I need to get a patch harness to sort that out.

The original wheel was ripped out and replaced with a POV pack wheel until I can get it repaired. Any recommendations on reasonably priced repair options would be appreciated. This is the wheel and the damage to be repaired

201206_Original Steering Wheel.jpg
201206_Steering Wheel Damage.jpg

I have it all back together less the headunit. Checked the wiring for rego and need to replace one number plate globe and the connector to the driver's side fog lamp. I will finish the eklectrical tomorrow and load her on the trailer for the trip into Canberra for tuning on Wednesday. Pics below:

201206_Cabin.jpg
201206_Front.jpg
201206_LHS.jpg
201206_Rear.jpg

The paint is in poor shape but it will run and carry loads so will earn her keep until we ca do something about it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Those VE 19” SSV wheels in silver are one of my favourites on VB-VE. Have them on one of my Crewmans.

Will be doing a reverse camera next week. Have wired all the rest but the back part now. I’ll make sure I post the patch harness for the camera I’m making. Going to do two. One for Father in-laws VZ as well.

I bought a leather steering wheel cover for my V6 Crewman. Makes the wheel nicer to hold. Found one without bits of **** stitched to it, or logos stitched into it.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Those VE 19” SSV wheels in silver are one of my favourites on VB-VE. Have them on one of my Crewmans.

Haha; me too. It is about all I like about the exterior at the moment. I am hoping I can buff a bunch of the rattle can overspray off to make it look a little better. I have no idea of how the colour scheme - as much as black and white can be called such - was supposed to come together. I have had it sitting there for so long I am accustomed to it now - still dislike it - it just doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I'm just not sure where to go with it ATM.

I can always go for the bog standard, boring as batshit, herron white - doesn't give her much character though. I think she needs some character to match the effort we have put in under the bonnet. To make the two tone work I think the wheels would need to be black and the ridiculous moustache bonnet would need to go. I don't think a dark tolour would work on top of the black. Not happening soon so open to ideas and will probably change my mind a few times on the journey.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah. Do it all white. Keep it clean and simple.

Watch another amazing video from Sandro at Car Craft Detailing do a paint restoration on a white Nissan R32 GTR.
Amazing! The paint looked insane.

Gave me so much inspiration to get into the shitty Heron White paint on mine. I really like it. Can’t wait to see what can be made of it.

Why not keep it white all over and add a black nudge bar to it if you want to make it look a bit less boring. Black badges with plasti-dip. Keep the wheels silver or white.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks for the link - unfortunately no amount of detailing will restore the paint on the beast - it is through to bare metal in places and has been painted using a brush in others. The preparation premise he uses for his detailing is exactly the same for paint prep and was well worth watching.

If I do go a front bar, which I doubt - it will be a five poster - too many roos around here.

Badges will go - Monaro bonnet? Letterbox Grill? Twin hump hard lid? I do have an original holden by design hard lid from the VY - needs a repaint too; would save a few beer sheckels.

I have an open mind at the moment

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
A big evening Replaced the broken globe above the rear plate and the connector to the driver's side fog lamp. We replaced the VY O2 sensors with VZ ones. Had to extend the loom by 12 inches or so as the VY sensors must be located differently to the VZ. Electrics are now 100% - less the entertainment system

Installed the head unit - used the old VY Fascia while waiting for a new one to arrive, The JVC headunit sits a little high so you can see under the unit - I may be able to creep down 3mm and when I pull it forward it will fit fine. The SWC harness is on order - I trust it will fix a problem I appear to be having. I don't appear to have a switched power source. Both wires appear to be constant power. I don't have time to dick around with it and it won't affect rego or tuning so that is on the backburner until the SWC and rear camera cables arrive. I will attend to the electric antenna at the same time. I have a spare mast with rope from the VY so I trust I can simply replace the mast. Motor seems to work fine,

Internally the cab is now free of tools etc. Copped a run over with the vac - needs a good clean but looks OK. Identified a couple of broken plastics that I will need to replace.

Ripped all the old VY parts we haven't used out of the tub and washed out the accumulated dross.

An internal clean tomorrow and she is to be loaded on the trailer and off to the tuner on Wednesday morning. I expect her to be there for a couple of days and then in for a blue slip.

Now that all the unseen work is complete we are looking forward to starting on the interior. I am inspired by Fu's Cross 8 detailing - just need to find the time.