Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VZ ute project

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team,

This was originally posted under showcase; however, if anyone is doing or planning a VZ ute project I thought the VZ area would probably be the best place to find information. So here is our VZ ute project (sons and I). It started from nothing really. We are builders in a country area about 45 minutes NW of Canberra - our VY SV8 work ute hit a roo and was written off. We purchased her back from the insurer for $300 and ripped out the engine, box and diff, pacer extractors, X force cat back exhaust, and the harness/computers for use sometime down the track.

We happened upon a VZ ute shell, SS seats and interior and FE2 suspension for a song. The downside – sprayed in rattle can white with matt black DIY “racing” features, tub shrouds done in matt black with a paint brush and skirts painted in hammer finish silver. WTF were they thinking? This is her on the hoist after we dropped the VY donk in.

20200529_155042.jpg

Between removing the LS1 from the VY and transplanting it into the VZ we added a VCM 262 Cam, new springs, dual cam chain and sprockets, lifters and oil pump. We have also installed a mantic clutch, replaced the front rack, added a new radiator and converted the LS1 from cable to drive by wire. A new ECU was purchased from LSXxtreme as the VY computer wasn’t transferable. An OTRCAI is ready to go on and a MAFless tune is in the wings. Missing the clutch line, an alternator (of course they changed) and a couple of O2 sensors to get her on the road.

Changing from cable accelerator to drive by wire was a complete disaster as the cable between the TACM and the Accelerator had been cut. It took seven months to sort - if you want to have a laugh at our expense you can follow it here...https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-ls1-accelerator-pedal-position-sensor.281842/ The key lesson - don't try to repair cabling between computers - do it right the first time and replace that component with a new or known working loom component.

The interior is in average shape – seats are OK but as with most 15 or so year old seats need some work; as does the wheel. There is nothing to play the tunes with either. Will add a behind the dash UHF for comms as she will be our quote and run around ute. Fastest quotes in the area.

Panels etc – straight as except for the front bar which has some deep gouges along with a lot of superficial cuts and bruises, May just opt to run a 5 poster to deal with the roos. Apart from that no real plans except for some decent paint. We will de-badge the beast and run her as a sleeper until we get the time and beer tokens together to do the paint work.

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
We have the beast running now that the accelerator communication issue has been resolved. Need to mount the pedal now and run the cable as it is currently just lying on the floor. While she runs there is no MAF and she doesn't idle well - a combination of the new cam and poor tune.

We have a couple of tidy ups to do before we send her off for a tune:
replace the VY O2 sensors with VZ ones
replace the rear ABS sensors - they were cut off by the previous owner when they pulled the diff. I have learned my lesson from the accelerator and we have purchased the sensors with harness.
Fix a leak in the exhaust,
Fit the alternator, and
Fit the front bar - what an ugly beast she will be.

Should be registerable by then and we will finish the build/resto on the run. Not the ideal way to do the job - but a time and funds based approach. The go fast bits are pretty much done so now it is about adding some tunes and making her look pretty.

Unfortunately, we have another project on the hoist that is taking up space - converting a V6 VR BNS ute to 5.0 litre (one of the sons mates). I have given them until the weekend after this one to have it off my hoist so we can get back to work on the VZ.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can you post some of the thread links into this. That would be handy.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Can you post some of the thread links into this. That would be handy.

Hi Fu,

We didn't document anything when we started except for the photo above and the link that is already there to the drama related to the accelerator pedal. I did try to document this evenings effort - but being a dumbass - what I thought was a video of the old girl being started up and run was two photos - not good ones at that. I will be more diligent as we progress.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
We are behind on a build due to the weather so worked this weekend. I didn't intend to do much on the old girl but the youngest son's ute, a Ford Raider with a service body, has torn its party dress and jumps into safety mode consistently due to a turbo related issue. It is decked out for the electrical side of our business so we need to get it sorted ASAP. This accelerated the work on the beast - last thing I wanted to do tonight I can assure you.

ABS wiring issue was resolved. Still had to solder the main harness where it was cut but all the connectors etc were there. Hooked it up - tested using the Tech 2 auto test function - passed. Good start.

Changed the VY alternator for a second hand VZ one.

Put the missing gasket in the exhaust and tightened her all up. No leaks - sounds OK.

Ran the harness from the TACM to the Accelerator pedal and mounted the pedal. Was able move her around. Let her start up and run for a bit - has a rough idle at around 900 RPM. Looking forward to getting her in for a tune.

Tested the output from the alternator 14.6V at 900 RPM; close enough for government work.

I will order the O2 sensors tomorrow and check all the fluids before we take her for lap or two of the paddock to make sure all works under load and try to book her in for a tune.

If you note in the photo the headlights are very dull. They work fine - not sure if they will be good enough to pass rego so plan is to sand them back, then use some autosol metal polish with a pad and finally hit them with some UV rated clear coat. If anyone has a better solution I'm all ears.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Use maguiars plastic polish instead. I finished on 2000 grit. Started with 500 I think it was. 800, then 1000, then 1200, then 1500. Had two pump sprays, one sugar soap and one water to rinse. Sanded with the sugar soap.

Then I got two foam cones. One medium (blue) which I used first on the drill, then a soft one (red) to get it spot on.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Got it - did you bother with a UV rated clear coat? I would expect they would dull pretty quick requiring ongoing maintenance without it.

Cheers

Craig

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride