Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VZ ute project

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
It came as a surprise to me as well. When I was looking into the problem the BCM feature table, under the feature labelled Accessory power control (delay accessories bus), states that power to the audio system, windscreen wiper and other accessories is removed when the ignition is switched off. I didn't read any further.

I tried that several times and could not identify a switched power supply - I definitely had two constant feeds.

If I had bothered to read the feature detail later in the manual the answer was there in black and white.

Accessory Relay Shutdown Options
The accessory relay can be triggered to remove battery power to the accessories by either:
• Switching the ignition switch to the OFF position, or
• Opening the driver’s door.

The driver’s choice of what action affects the relay can be selected through the instrument cluster’s MFD or using Tech 2.
The default option is set to Door Open.

It pays to look into the detail as opposed to the overview. I think the clue was in the feature description - delay accessories bus. Should have tiggered a few brain cells but didn't.

Another lesson learned.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So - I sorted the A/C this afternoon. 37 degrees gave me the push I needed to knock off work a little early and have a crack at it. No more than a 10 minute fix - and five of that was cleaning the dust of the solenoid pack.

Pulled out the glovebox, located the manifold and solenoid pack. Undid the two retinign screws with a stubby phillips. Separated the manifold - just soft rubber over a three palstic spiggots.

Tested the solenoid pack - electrically within spec.
Checked the manifold - no cracks
Checked power at the appropriate terminals when the mode was changed
Started the beast - no vacuum.

Checked the engine bay and found the one way valve disconnected. Plugged it back in - works a charm. Well worth the 1/2 hour's research to understand how it all worked. Resolving the issue was a piece of piss.

Today for a change - Jolls 1 v VZ gremlions 0

Bring on the next problem!

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Retrimmed the temporary steering wheel with a cheap steering wheel cover tonight. Detail related to the research and product can be found here.

20210113_Retrimmed Wheel 1.jpg

It turned out well and feels good in the hands. It will do until I get the original retrimmed - a heap of ber tokens for that one.

So we no have tunes sorted, A/C sorted and the wheel sorted. Interior is now bearable - time to get stuck into the exterior.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
feulmmmm - Very unhappy camper here

I just returned from a trip up the Central Coast in the ute to find just under $7.5K in speeding fines from Canberra. Son 3 took the ute to move some furniture the weekend prior and was done 6 times of 108 in a 100 zone (speed cameras). I questioned him about it and he was adamant that he was doing 100 using cruise control.

So I went for a gallop with the GPS setup and she is under reading the speed by around 10%. I grabbed the Tech 2 and checked - the pulse per km was noit even close to the ballpark. Did a bit of maths based on the overage and the 6250 ppk setting it had; dropped it down to 5775 ppk and it is now spot on.

I have already put the feelers out for a letter stating that someone incorrectly programmed the ppk for the speedo. Given it is newly registered I am trusting that they will take pity on us and waive the fines seeing as we fixed it immediately we were made aware of the issue.

I didn't event think to check it - tyres are the sameish circumference, diff and gearbox are correct, engine setup etc is correct! I wish I had thought to check that setting when I was in there. I expect that it was set up running a higher ratio as a skid pig before we got hold of it; or me chucking in the standard VY running gear in is just another VY/VZ mismatch.

I just did the run up the coast and back passing four fixed speed cameras each way - so I am expecting another 8 fines in a week or so. What fun.

On the up side - the cruise up and back was excellent; picked up the drivers side seat bolt cover for a schooner and sorted the head-unit setup before I left. Off to Deniliquin for the weekend tomorrow so I won't get much more done in the short term.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d imagine they would waive them. You were driving in a manner you believed to be correct. You took immediate steps to correct the error.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
just under $7.5K in speeding fines from Canberra. Son 3.....was done 6 times of 108 in a 100 zone

Near on $1,250 per fine ? o_O

How many points to go with that lot ?

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I don't like your chances of getting the fines waived according to the police it is your responsibility to know how accurate your speedo is or isn't.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Near on $1,250 per fine ? o_O
How many points to go with that lot ?

That is because we are a business, no points but huge fine unless I pass the fines on to son 3. If I do so he loses 6 points and the fines drop down to $1800. Can't pass them on - as far as we were all aware it was stock standard less the go fast bits we put into the engine and the up-rated clutch and exhaust system.

@Fu Manchu, thanks - I found that earlier in the day. It didn't fill me full of confidence; however, I think it really covers things like changing tyre sizes, diff ratios etc. I'm prepared to take this one to court if I have to - we were genuinely trying to do the right thing.

I don't like your chances of getting the fines waived according to the police it is your responsibility to know how accurate your speedo is or isn't.

@Whiteshark68. I agree somewhat that we should have known. On the other hand nothing was or had been changed that we were aware of that would make us think it was anything but correct. It is also a new registration (new blue slip inspection to get it registered as if it was a new vehicle. So in reality it has been on the road long at all - and in a country area on country roads how would you know - no traffic top gauge speed against for the most part. Plenty of old cockies on the road driving like Mr Magoo as well.

I have chatted to a few who have been in similar situations; some who's cars have been on the road for a considerable time when they were fined as well. In all cases they had a letter from a qualified technician stating that something "mechanical" was wrong and the fines and penalties were waived. I don't think the law will accept changed tyre sizes or diff ratios; however, something that can't be known like a failing clockspring in a driven speedo or someone changing the ppk in a digital speedo are different kettles of fish.

Also I think if it was a one off fine maybe there would be scepticism - but six times at the same fixed speed camera over three days and by well over the mark makes it look a bit fishy (or utterly stupid). And in my case every speed camera in each direction, combined with our driving records probably shows well enough our ignorance of any changes that had been made that we could not be expected to identify. At least I trust that is what the reviewing officer/judge will think.

I'll let you know in due course!

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
The reason i posted what i did was because i had gotten stung twice in a vr calais i had not long bought and didn't check the speedo accuracy because first car to ever have the speedo be wrong, lesson learned.
It was about 6 to 10 km out according to the 2 fines i got and was told they do not care it's your fault by the cop who booked me the second time he was the one who told me it was my duty to make sure the speedo was accurate.
Those 2 fines were the first speeding fines i had had for nearly 20 years never made a difference.
Found out some numb nut pulled the dash apart and pulled the speedo needle off and put it back in the wrong position before i bought the car after talking to the only speedo repairer who told me that it would be 3 to 4 weeks and nearly a grand for them to fix it.
Took me about an hour to pull the dash out prise the needle off and put it back in the right position.
Tested via my gps and found i was within a km of the posted limit.

But hopefully you can get it waived.