Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jump starting from a ve

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Just wondering is there a specific way I can jump start my vt of my ve? Vt has a calcium battery aswell, it won't do anything to my computer will it? Like is there any special leads or are normal leads fine if its jump starting from same battery? Or is it advised not to jump start at all? Just want to check before I try that's all. Thanks in advance.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Generally it's not advised to jump start. If you must then it's important to follow a few simple rules (but I don't know what they are....)

Some people suggest turning on a few electrical loads on the car doing the jump starting to lower the battery voltage as this drops the voltage difference between the 2 batteries whilst connecting the jump start cables.

Hook up the positive of the flat battery to the positive of the good battery, then the negative of the good battery (and this is the important bit) to a clean metal earth point on the engine of the car that is to be jump started (not the battery negative terminal/post). Start the car doing the jumps starting.

At this stage depending on how flat the battery is I tend to just leave the good car running with it connected up to get a bit of a charge going into the flat battery, then after little while attempt to start the car.

IF all else fails, read the owners manual as it will have the manufacturers guidelines on jump starting with said vehicle.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
To avoid sparking on the 'receiving' car, make sure all devices are turned off before connecting jumper leads.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
+++++11111 above, you also have jump start posts under the bonnet, manual shows where they are

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
IMG_20141222_194717_6641_zpsfdef29bc.jpg

IMG_20141222_195556_3751_zps45d7ab23.jpg

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
^^^ so much win to the guy who reads the handbook that 'should' be in your cars glove box (usually)

FYI my book is with a friend who doesn't have one. The joys of purchasing a second hand car. Besides I haven't even bothered to check that tbh, haven't read enough or memorised enough to know that would be in there. But ill get my book back and go from there. Cheers guys.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Besides I haven't even bothered to check that tbh, haven't read enough or memorised enough to know that would be in there. But ill get my book back and go from there. Cheers guys.

I'd get it back or buy another from Holden. I've never bought a car that didn't have one and I've never owned a new car.

That hand book tells you everything from what oil to use, service requirements, tyre psi, how to change a headlight globe etc etc very handy

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
very handy piece of kit for the basics, plus you get know your car a bit as well, yep get your book back or another, I actually read the manual so when **** happens I just might be able to get myself out of it (oh and the JC forum)

Last edited: