Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just bought 230k Calais. What to service?

haydes02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
I just bought a S2 SC VT Calais with no service history. As far as I can tell, its standard, except for a K&N pod filter. What should I be checking or replacing. Also what normally goes wrong around this time?

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I just bought a S2 SC VT Calais with no service history. As far as I can tell, its standard, except for a K&N pod filter. What should I be checking or replacing. Also what normally goes wrong around this time?

Hi

Lots of things can go wrong at this stage depends on how the vehicle has been serviced in the past. First thing I would do would be

Change oil and oil filter

Replace air filter or if it has a good clean K&N filter you may be able to recharge it and clean it using the appropriate products, Im assuming its a factory fitted filter and sits in the factory airbox and not a pod filter. If its a pod I would ditch it and get a factory airbox and then a factory fitted K&n filter

Change spark plugs and leads ( while your at it check ignition coil spark should jump straight to the next plug when engine cranked ( google a youtube video on how to do very simple check )

Dump radiator and flush it out then add new coolant and while your at it change thermostat and gasket also properly bleed the system when you refill. ( Should be able to find a thread on correct bleeding procedure on this forum )

Suck out power steering reservoir only of most fluid and top it up with fresh fluid ( trmporary measure until next proper service )

Check Brake fluid level top up if necessary.

Replace serpetine belt

Check water pump and other pulleys for excessive bearing noise replace as necessary.

Pull out Iac valve and clean or replace if your fussy ( personally wouldnt worry unless you have an idle issue. )

Fill with petrol and add some injector cleaner thats safe to use with sensors.

Replace fuel filter

Tranny Service ( at an auto trans shop $200 )

Change Diff oil

Doing all this should nearly gurantee trouble free motoring for a while the last few probably wouldnt be required but I would always do this when buying a 2nd hand car with no previous history just for my own piece of mind knowing it has been done. Also it would be a very good idea to inspect all radiator and associated hoses for signs of perishing or cracking replace as necessary the ecotecs are pretty bullet proof last thing you want to do though is cook the motor. Also check supercharger oil I think they need some kind of special oil not sure though as Ive never owned a supercharger.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
As mentioned check your supercharger oil, its comes in a small blue bottle GM on it, can get it from EBAY or MACE on here ect

Not sure how to check or replace the oil but there will be a vid or write up somewhere

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Thanks heaps guys. It is a pod filter with a cut up airbox.

Hi There

It may be ok then depends on how its done but for legality and so your not hassled ever it may be better just to go back to standard airbox unmodified and just buy a k&n panel filter I think they retail for under $100. I think you would find if you also had the tube that goes up to above the radiator to suck cold air in you would probably find better performance gains this way anyway. The way its set up at the moment it most probably sucks warm to hot engine bay air.