Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just bought a 2016 Calais wagon

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What could the engine noise tick be and should I be worried?

V6 ?
If it is... most likely just injector tick. These have high pressure mechanical fuel pump and they sound a bit 'ticky' on idle...

As for interior, good vacuum cleaner, damp microfibre cloth and some upholestry cleaner like Duragloss will work. 303 protectant for hard surfaces and leather as well....
Other than blowing some lose debris drom the engine bay and wiping it all down I would not be attacking it with water or anything like that...

Show us some pictures of this

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
V6 ?
If it is... most likely just injector tick. These have high pressure mechanical fuel pump and they sound a bit 'ticky' on idle...

As for interior, good vacuum cleaner, damp microfibre cloth and some upholestry cleaner like Duragloss will work. 303 protectant for hard surfaces and leather as well....
Other than blowing some lose debris drom the engine bay and wiping it all down I would not be attacking it with water or anything like that...

Show us some pictures of this

Thanks for your reply @Ron Burgundy

Yes, V6. Anything I can do about the tick? Replace that fuel pump?
Somebody else suggested PCV valve?
I've cleaned the engine bay by hand (wiping) and with air compressor.
Even though "it was serviced".. I replaced the air filter which was the worst I've ever seen.
I also replaced the factory cabin filter with a RYCO model.

Interior, I'll take your advice and get into it with your suggestions.

I'll upload some pics of how it was.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If it's the injector tick...thats just how it is. Leave it

Because you dont exactly know the service history I would also clean maf sensor, throttle body and replace spark plugs. Oil change as well if it is not obviously clean...

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
If it's the injector tick...thats just how it is. Leave it

Because you dont exactly know the service history I would also clean maf sensor, throttle body and replace spark plugs. Oil change as well if it is not obviously clean...

It's got full service history in the book. Not sure what MAF sensor is but I'll google that.
Even though it's not due for another 7000kms, I'm going to service it again, so I'll get them to check the things out you've suggested.

Thanks so much.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
It's got full service history in the book. Not sure what MAF sensor is but I'll google that.
Even though it's not due for another 7000kms, I'm going to service it again, so I'll get them to check the things out you've suggested.

Thanks so much.

If the services were done right the air filter should have not been so filthy. When I bought second hand cars in the past, I assumed they were not looked after and did the usual service stuff myself for piece of mind

- oil
- oil filter
- air filter
- spark plugs
- coolant
- clean maf sensor and throttle body
- check the belts
- check the brakes
- lubricate door/bonnet/boot hinges etc

All this is relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself...and you definitely dont need any special/expensive tools for all this...

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
If the services were done right the air filter should have not been so filthy. When I bought second hand cars in the past, I assumed they were not looked after and did the usual service stuff myself for piece of mind

- oil
- oil filter
- air filter
- spark plugs
- coolant
- check the belts
- check the brakes

All this is relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself...and you definitely dont need any special/expensive tools for all this...

+1 to that.
I take this route on all my used car purchases. I simply don't trust the stamps on the logbook or even the service invoices (unless they are from one of my regular shops).

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Somebody suggested the PCV valve may need to be replaced. Any comment on that?
On Ve the PCV had to be drilled out but your 2016 Calais should be ok.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

- oil
- oil filter
- air filter
- spark plugs
- coolant
- check the belts
- check the brakes

i'd add fuel filter, diff fluid and transmission service as well. Particularly with over 120 clicks on it.

Check to see if it has a cabin air filter as well. (The optional corrugated paper type, not the standard mesh screen). If it hasn't been changed regularly, chances are your aircon won't blow as well and will develop a mildew/mould smell.

this video explains where it is and how to access it.

edit - disregard cabin air filter, just saw in one of the OP's previous posts, he has already changed it out..that'll teach me to read the whole thread first...

Last edited:

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan

- oil
- oil filter
- air filter
- spark plugs
- coolant
- check the belts
- check the brakes

Thanks heaps.
It's booked for service in a week.
I'll get all that done and checked.
I'm reasonably handy, so I could clean the maf sensor and throttle body? Any vids on where and how?
What do you lubricate the doors and hinges with?

I've already replaced the cabin filter. It was the mesh factory one. Removed and replaced with proper filter.

I'll also be moving the throttle controller from my 2015 evoke to this car (2016 calais).

I'll also get the auto transmission serviced I think. It's a bit "looser" than my other car. Worth getting done I think.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Not sure what tuners can do for a v6 auto, but every 6l80e needs a tune as well as maintainence. I've gone through a few (tunes) and the box is nothing like stock. Way better shifting.