Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just did a compression check

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
I got platinum NGK's for mine when i first got the car in dec 2006, havent had a problem with them since, thats including heaps of dyno runs, drag racing, using different fuels, cold and hot weather and just general daily driving, & they are still really good. Well worth the initial outlay of $11 ea

But if you want a cheap set of plugs that are good, get NGK TR6's. Shouldnt be more than $3-4 ea.

Fresh SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS+Turbo
Ill save the money and get the good ones, not going to be stingey with the car :)

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Platinums won't make your car run any better, just the plugs last longer, I think they rate normal resistor type plugs at 20000kms and platinums at 100000kms, but if you can get platinums for $8 ea then theres prob no point in going for the cheaper ones,all the platinums i've ever priced have been $20+

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
stock NGK's about $3.50-$6 bucks each depending on where you shop :yeah:

Surely that price is for standard plugs, not platinum's?

Platinums won't make your car run any better, just the plugs last longer, I think they rate normal resistor type plugs at 20000kms and platinums at 100000kms, but if you can get platinums for $8 ea then theres prob no point in going for the cheaper ones,all the platinums i've ever priced have been $20+

$8 was the Holden price (non-trade). I was surprised too, because I've paid well above that in the past, and wouldn't bother with them if they were $20 a pop (times 8 cylinders, that's $160! :p)

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
good one ya mate thanks for that...

this was a spare of the moment thing and lucky i did because i found a few other things in the process

- one of the exhaust manifold bolts was about to fall off! and the rest of the bolts were all loose lol and my plugs are all burnt out. i got a price for a new set and was told $25 each! i have to have Iridium plugs... i just cleaned them up since i dont have that money to throw around at the moment.

get the denso plugs from holden, there about $8 each as stated, holden don't use the iridium anymore, haven't for a couple of years, they use the denso and replace them every 40,000km's.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
get the denso plugs from holden, there about $8 each as stated, holden don't use the iridium anymore, haven't for a couple of years, they use the denso and replace them every 40,000km's.

meaning that they are most likely not platinum either and just standard plugs, which you can pick up for $3ea usually.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

meaning that they are most likely not platinum either and just standard plugs, which you can pick up for $3ea usually.

You guys sure about that?

This is one of the plugs just removed from my car. The ones I replaced it with are identical. That plug in the picture has 80,000kms on it.

The part number, to suit an LS1 (and probably LS2, not sure about Alloytec, which also use platinum long-life plugs) is #12563707. $8ea from Holden.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 185

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If those numbers are PSI thats pretty healthy.

As for spark plugs, get some stock GM ones. For the VZ at least they are Iridiums (platinum electrode, long life) and they were much cheaper than any NGK/Bosch etc I've seen. About $8 each, compared to $12+ for others. They are a Denso plug, so they are essentially NGK Iridiums.

I did a comp check on my ls-1 a few weeks ago & every cylinder was over 180psi. This is a 70000km stock internal engine which has done over 50 passes with the gas.

Do a wet comp test by squirting a small amount of engine oil in the cylinder & compare to the dry test to see the condition of the rings etc.

As for plugs just by some tr6 plugs for around $3 each & be done with it.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
You guys sure about that?

This is one of the plugs just removed from my car. The ones I replaced it with are identical. That plug in the picture has 80,000kms on it.

The part number, to suit an LS1 (and probably LS2, not sure about Alloytec, which also use platinum long-life plugs) is #12563707. $8ea from Holden.

yeh they come with those from factory, but when i spoke to holden and that was 2 different dealers in melbourne they said they don't do them anymore, just the denso's, yeh could easily match up a set of ngk's from auto bahn, bursons or repco for cheap, i got mine from holden cause thats what they use and also cause my car is under an extended warranty through holden, so use genuine parts so they have no excuse to not pay on any warranty claims.

but also personal choice.

1340loco

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK & WH
I also have been running tr6 plugs in gen3 motors for years with no problems.