Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just did a compression check

Fresh SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS+Turbo
Hey guys,

Just did a comp check on my car (VY SS)
1-150 2-135
3-150 4-135
5-135 6-140
7-140 8-145

The engine was warm (Enought to get your hands in there and not be burnt)
What i was hoping was if you guys know what that means in terms of engine condition?

Internals are completly stock (As far as i know)

Any help here would be great

Luke:yeah:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
not sure what the compressions meant to be for the gen3 but they all seem pritty consistant which is a good sign.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
not a big difference you have a 5%-10% variation so means yoru ring lands are in good order and no air is getting past them anythign more then i would be thinking your up for a new slug but also depends on your sompression ratio as well, how hot the chamber is (heat expansion) etc but i wouldnt be worried at this point in time.

edit also forgot to mention is that cylinders 7&8 on gen3's are the leanest of the cylinders ie get the less amount of fuel usally

Fresh SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS+Turbo
not a big difference you have a 5%-10% variation so means yoru ring lands are in good order and no air is getting past them anythign more then i would be thinking your up for a new slug but also depends on your sompression ratio as well, how hot the chamber is (heat expansion) etc but i wouldnt be worried at this point in time.

edit also forgot to mention is that cylinders 7&8 on gen3's are the leanest of the cylinders ie get the less amount of fuel usally

good one ya mate thanks for that...

this was a spare of the moment thing and lucky i did because i found a few other things in the process

- one of the exhaust manifold bolts was about to fall off! and the rest of the bolts were all loose lol and my plugs are all burnt out. i got a price for a new set and was told $25 each! i have to have Iridium plugs... i just cleaned them up since i dont have that money to throw around at the moment.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
just stick some stock NGK plugs in should be no need for iridiums really

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
just stick some stock NGK plugs in should be no need for iridiums really

+1 his car is stock so yeah stock ngk's would be fine if anything get some s/charged v6 plugs (obviously get 8 of them)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If those numbers are PSI thats pretty healthy.

As for spark plugs, get some stock GM ones. For the VZ at least they are Iridiums (platinum electrode, long life) and they were much cheaper than any NGK/Bosch etc I've seen. About $8 each, compared to $12+ for others. They are a Denso plug, so they are essentially NGK Iridiums.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
stock NGK's about $3.50-$6 bucks each depending on where you shop :yeah:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ah i just consulted my NGK book they only list the PZTR5A-15 PLATINUM PLUG FOR THE 5.7