Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just got me a vl .. Wanting some tips on beefing it up.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
do the conversion and keep it to Stock VLT setup. Goes good beats most cars on the road. can have a blast in it. highflow the turbo even and have loads of fun.... and yes u will get addicted to boost.
Just do it smart, and use ur head no stupid **** like 1 pass with 20 psi on an highcomp with Na inj and ecu. ull melt a piston. :p or do a head gasket.

Im running not a standard setup on 10.5 and loving it. and this Rb30 has 300XXX+ on the Donk. But i have a spare in the garage Lol. talk to CRACKER, VNLUKE, and BOWDOWN and me if u wanna do it right and properly.

Goodluck man
Happy Aussie Day

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
put a 6ltr in it

6ltr? Aint that an ls1? Damn man for the price of one of those i may as well go out get a vx ss gen 3 5.7ltr v8 and still have cash left over lol but anyways im really keen on a top mount turbo at something like 7 to 10 psi but i am 100% clueless i no they bolt on to your exhaust manifold then? From looking at them id say through intercooler then to throttle body? I dunno lol would help if i had internet to search but all i have at the moment is my phone and this thread =p

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
6ltr is an L98 or L76 I beleive.
LS1 is 5.7ltr, and if you can find a VX SS for $4000 its probably bent in half.

By the sounds of it, you need to go and buy yourself some automotive manuals and start reading before you even touch the car.

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
ha ha na im good just get confused with the v8s. The buick v6 3.8l i no back to front never touched the nissan or really even looked at anything turbo... Lol . I cleaned the engine inside out and now is running really good just running a bit rich at the moment.

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
6ltr is an L98 or L76 I beleive.
LS1 is 5.7ltr, and if you can find a VX SS for $4000 its probably bent in half.

Yer i was thinking more around 10k to 15 immac low ks

[REDHOT]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Even if you are going to go down the turbo road, you'd still want to have extractors & 2 1/2" exhaust. Cold air intake.
Maybe change the diff gears & make it LSD, 3:7 or 3:9 Personal choice really. Manual conversions are good if it's not already.

Then the rest of it's really how much money you want to put into it etc. you might want to put an rb25/26 head on. Hell, you might even want to build a bullet-proof engine and shove 30psi into it. But like i said it all comes down to how much money you are going to put into it. If you're just looking for a bit of extra power without much spending too much money I would say go with the first part of this post.

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
... Ugh just went for a cruze with my 2 yr old daughter in the car got about 20ks from home then pulling out onto a main road changing in to 2nd at 20 clicks managed to snap the borg warner diff... Lost a few teeth was a very bumpy and slow ride home... Thinking maby just weld it till i can go pick up a vn lsd 3.9 ? Better than nothing ya?

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
dur i can just get new diff gears for this one yea? Can you do the break conversion on these?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
you can do anything you put your mind to.

vn diffs under vls look ugly..

ill tell you what i tell alot of newbies........

manual conversion
service
exhaust
headers
pod filter

after you done that dont waist your time and money save save save buy a house and be done with vl's lol