Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just Got VS S pack ute.. suggestions for mods.. ima newbie

mr_knockers

bow chika wow wow.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Hey guys,
recently picked up my VS S pack ute for about $10k
only about 92,000kms, kept in real good condition,
as far as i can tell everything is still stock standard.
i was thinking getting full exhaust system from extractors
all the way through.. and perhaps twin pipes with a good note :)
how much you reckon that would cost? and what else should i do???

Cheeerrs

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
cold air intake, get foam on these forums and buy a new tune from him

10k isnt that a bit much for a VS S ? unless it is a SIII?

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
It sucks you may have paid 10k but try get it insured for that amount and it aint gonna happen. Supposedly my Holden VS Series II 1997 Ute that is in brilliant condition is only worth $6100 if i got compo for it yet i paid $7000 and in Redbook its worth nothing.

Redbook

It truely sucks as these utes are very rare and sort after and worth much more then people think as you have found out also.
What do we do about it?

Thanks
Matt

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
my old 97 VS II Spack ute was insured for 12k at the beginning of the year.

As for mods...
CAI & Exhaust(inc headers) definate firsts.
I'd then go with ported heads, plenum & TB (i got mine for nothing cos a mate did them for me, but it made a huge difference) I also got new spark plugs and leads at the same time.

When i got my ecotec, it ran so much better once i replaced everything. ie. spark plugs and leads, oil, oil filter, air filter etc. just having cleaner stuff on the engine helps.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Please explain how and who you went with for insurance was it agreed value because my father tried that with AAMI the other day and she said the agreed value was the market value which was a miserable $6100, which was $900 less then what we paid for it and about $2500 less then what others around my area are selling for. For some reason here in SA these Utes and many others hold their value very well but why is insurance such a pain in the arse? I thought agreed was where you agree on a price with the insurer not just the market value :(

Any tips please? And where were u from?
Thanks
Matt

my old 97 VS II Spack ute was insured for 12k at the beginning of the year.

As for mods...
CAI & Exhaust(inc headers) definate firsts.
I'd then go with ported heads, plenum & TB (i got mine for nothing cos a mate did them for me, but it made a huge difference) I also got new spark plugs and leads at the same time.

When i got my ecotec, it ran so much better once i replaced everything. ie. spark plugs and leads, oil, oil filter, air filter etc. just having cleaner stuff on the engine helps.

mr_knockers

bow chika wow wow.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
I've found out now it seems a bit much.. it is only SII but in saying that its a manual,
which seems more rare.. even though market value doesnt seem to agree :/
not to sure about insurance, im paying about $900 for it.
"CAI & Exhaust(inc headers)" how much am i looking at for that?
and "get foam on these forums and buy a new tune from him"
who or what is foam?

thanks for the help so far guyss

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
cold air intake, get foam on these forums and buy a new tune from him

10k isnt that a bit much for a VS S ? unless it is a SIII?

For a sedan it would be, but utes tend to sell for that, or more.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hi, good score on the ute 92,000 for 10k is a good find though a V8 would have made it a absolute bargain, as for mods you`ve got 147Kw at the fly wheel/engine right now and less weight than a sedan so your in a good position already.
As for mods, go the usual CAI, (but don`t buy the bottom of the air box that you need to fit it, because you can use the old one and just mod the hole to make it bigger see the How to link I`ve added (you can also use a soldering iron to cut the plastic)., then of course get a good flowing exhaust, but not two big as you will lose bottom end and some tourqe ie..don`t do the twin pipes
unless there twin 1" jobbies, lol.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1993-1997/17651-holden-cai-installation.html

Last edited:

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
im in sydney, i went with just car insurance... people say bad things about them but they looked after me and covered me for every mod i did to the ute, and i got the payout when i crashed. the only thing that really changes is the excess which goes up with age, license losses etc.

as for the CAI, an easy one for the ecotec is the supercharged v6 one off ebay. its too easy to install and utilises ur exsisting setup. and buy a good panel filter(lukey or B&M or something. ive heard K&N panel filters arent great but not sure)

for an exhaust, best thing ive heard is extractors and a single 2.5inch system all the way. opens it right up.

Foamy is a member on this forum known for doing quite good tunes, i dont know as i havent used him but i will be soon. the exact username is 'Greenfoam'. Best way to contact him is on ebay... he goes by 'nicefrog' as far as i remember.

getting a manual VS ute isnt as hard as it seems, you just gotta be lucky... i got mine for 7k, it was a bog stock white 5spd. but most go for up to about 10k so hope its in good nic.

best of luck

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
im in sydney, i went with just car insurance... people say bad things about them but they looked after me and covered me for every mod i did to the ute, and i got the payout when i crashed. the only thing that really changes is the excess which goes up with age, license losses etc.

as for the CAI, an easy one for the ecotec is the supercharged v6 one off ebay. its too easy to install and utilises ur exsisting setup. and buy a good panel filter(lukey or B&M or something. ive heard K&N panel filters arent great but not sure)

for an exhaust, best thing ive heard is extractors and a single 2.5inch system all the way. opens it right up.

Foamy is a member on this forum known for doing quite good tunes, i dont know as i havent used him but i will be soon. the exact username is 'Greenfoam'. Best way to contact him is on ebay... he goes by 'nicefrog' as far as i remember.

getting a manual VS ute isnt as hard as it seems, you just gotta be lucky... i got mine for 7k, it was a bog stock white 5spd. but most go for up to about 10k so hope its in good nic.

best of luck

Remember, this guy is from W.A, so it is as hard as it seems, and as expensive as it seems to.:cool: