Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just have a question about my vy ecotec motor

Jordanb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy commodore
Gday all just gave my ecotec a throttle body clean and pulled the top off the motor just to have a look and there is a pretty thick layer of black soot or whatever combination of things it is, so my question is would it be worth pulling apart the top half of the motor for a clean if so what to use and any technics would be much appreciated been having some problems with it struggling when I put my foot down I don't have the money to send it away to be looked at but have don't alot to try n fix the problem, as in changed all plugs,fluids and filters including a new fuel filter has got a Lil better but still struggles thanks so anything I could do myself without spending heaps of money would help thanks for your reply in advance. JORDAN

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The reason your intake manifold is coated in oil like that is due to the pcv system (positive crankcase ventilation) which vents oil vapours back into your intake it’s not completely desirable but it’s designed to do that so that isn’t the source of your problem.... the usual suspects with Ecotec engines are spark plugs tho you’ve already done that, spark plug leads, coil packs and the dfi module which is the plate that the coil packs sit on

Jordanb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy commodore
The reason your intake manifold is coated in oil like that is due to the pcv system (positive crankcase ventilation) which vents oil vapours back into your intake it’s not completely desirable but it’s designed to do that so that isn’t the source of your problem.... the usual suspects with Ecotec engines are spark plugs tho you’ve already done that, spark plug leads, coil packs and the dfi module which is the plate that the coil packs sit on
I changed coil packs and ignition leads maybe a couple months back so I don't think it would be that

Jordanb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy commodore
I'm really hopen not but do you recon it could be a fuel pump issue I'm no mechanic but what it feels like is when I put my foot down its not getting enough of something wether it be air doubt it though or something with my fuel system cause it's only when I put my foot down its fine cruising and getting up to speed in normal conditions it's just when I boot it persay

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Normally good to replace the plugs when you replace leads. The normal reason for removing the manifold is to replace the gaskets. If they have never been done they are probably leaking, so it is a good idea to replace them. Cleaning the inside of the manifold even off the car is bastard. You could try paint stripper the spray can type as TB cleaner has limited results but does get most of it off.
As mentioned replace the PCV. Fitting a catch can is a good idea once you have done all the former.

Jordanb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy commodore
Normally good to replace the plugs when you replace leads. The normal reason for removing the manifold is to replace the gaskets. If they have never been done they are probably leaking, so it is a good idea to replace them. Cleaning the inside of the manifold even off the car is bastard. You could try paint stripper the spray can type as TB cleaner has limited results but does get most of it off.
As mentioned replace the PCV. Fitting a catch can is a good idea once you have done all the former.
there is a rubber seal like thing that goes all the way around on the top bit of the manifold that comes off but I didn't see a gasket like a thin metal plate one or anything

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No below that is the manifold, sometimes known as a valley cover.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is not a rubber ring on the manifold. There are two gaskets and two seals on one on each end of the block.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The top is your plenum