Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just how reliable is the car?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Just a simple question out of curiousity. How long will my VZ Commodore last before it starts giving problems, that is, if any. I want to be sure there will be no surprises down the road that will hurt my wallet.

Specifically, it's an Alloytec 3.6 175 kw 4 speed auto VZ Commodore Executive.

I bought it at 120,xxx km on it, it's now got 150,xxx km. Going very well, no problems at all, only needed updating of computer software. Car has a full service history and has been well looked after by the previous owner. I go very easy on the car and do a mix of urban and highway driving on a daily basis. Service it regularly as specified by owner's manual, change engine oil every 5000 km.

I'd just like to know how tough the VZ is, since I've heard good stories about the VT and VX. I've got a mate who's got over a million km on his VX. Amazing what that Ecotec can do. Will my VZ hold on for that long?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Yes, it's a good question. I'm curious too, lavishing attention on the engine and keeping track of service, with my km now 93,914km. There does not seem to be a definitive answer about how long they last. "Depends on how you treat them!" is common answer to a common question, if very vague! :p

There is a repeating them in discussing Alloytecs: that is the oil must be changed at the required interval (definitely no more than 12,000km, but many others swear by half that; I specify 7,500km), and the right oil is used (but here on the forum opinions might vary wildly on what constitutes the best/ideal/right/better oil for an Alloytec, but Castrol Magnatec is used widely — I see it's been been used on mine since June 2006). If the previous owner has looked after the engine with regular qualified servicing, and now you are doing the same, it should I imagine give many years of troublefree service: at least that's what we all hope.

A bushwalking mate hailing from Broken Hill has a VZ wagon from 2005 with 242,710km on it, but it has had a new head gasket put on at 93,000 (this head gasket thing seems to be a common problem with Alloytecs — discovered mine was replaced at 81,400km). No short, gruffy, stuttery urban driving for him: long, hot weekly courier runs to Ivanhoe and Mildura. In short, the Alloytec is probably as tough and honest as Holdens come, but hedge bets that something can and will go wrong and you have to accept that, even with the attention you are paying it.

So now it would be good to hear of the experiences and expectations of others here on Australia Day to celebrate one of our the nation's own cars / engines! :dance:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
There does not seem to be a definitive answer about how long they last. "Depends on how you treat them!" is common answer to a common question, if very vague! :p

Not vague at all. Like any engine, if it's regularly serviced and not thrashed every time you drive it, it will last a lot longer than one that gets flogged everyday and neglected.

But you won't get a definitive answer, each engine is different.

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
me dads cab done 340,000kms still in excellent condition, apart from the starting issue-takes like 3-4 cranks now to start her up when cold

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
226,000 km on mine, and im the second p-plater to own it, so it's had a hard life :) but the engine is as good as ever :D !!!!

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
226,000 km on mine, and im the second p-plater to own it, so it's had a hard life :) but the engine is as good as ever :D !!!!

I guess as long as its always had nice clean oil every 5000 KM or so with a filter change and just maintain it. I can last forever... I have had the car since my red P's and lived on a dirt road.. Yet mine shows no sign of age. Spent 4 days polishing it by hand and washing it lol...

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
my VL Wagon has done 970,XXX kms... little legend. Leaking injector and clogged fuel pump from running the tank dry doing a burnout in the paddock did that haha!