Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just Installed 11.6 Android Unit into the VF - Where is the Stock mic?

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Hey all,

So thanks to everyone who commented in my thread when I was considering what head unit to install.

I went with an 11.6" Joying head unit after seeing how hard the company is working on its customer relations online. Indeed they were great communicators every step of the way.

I had to get an Aeropro VF holden kit of course to adapt the HVAC, rear camera, and other bits and pieces.

IMG_0648.jpg

I think it fits pretty nicely honestly - the aircon vents can still fully reach the driver and passenger, and no controls are blocked. And looks quite handsome in the car -modernising the interior - after all many brand new Euro offerings use floating screens these days. I haven't fully put the dash area back together since I still have to hook up the sub-woofer and a few other things.

And considering how much cheaper it is than the Alpine etc. units - while being bigger, more powerful, more feature rich - I'm chuffed.

One big question I have is - I'd like to use the car's OEM mic which is used for mobile communication and voice command with the stock head unit - I'm sure the Aeropro kit allows this, but have no idea how to connect the mic up - has anyone tackled this before with ANY aftermarket head unit in a VF holden? The Joying does come with its own mic, but I'd rather not have extra bits and pieces poking out of the car if I don' have to.

EDIT: The Aeropro kit doesn't pass through the OEM mic signal - instead I had to put in another mic - in this case, the one that came with the head unit.

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hey all,

So thanks to everyone who commented in my thread when I was considering what head unit to install.

I went with an 11.6" Joying head unit after seeing how hard the company is working on its customer relations online. Indeed they were great communicators every step of the way.

I had to get an Aeropro VF holden kit of course to adapt the HVAC, rear camera, and other bits and pieces.

View attachment 230634

I think it fits pretty nicely honestly - the aircon vents can still fully reach the driver and passenger, and no controls are blocked. And looks quite handsome in the car -modernising the interior - after all many brand new Euro offerings use floating screens these days. I haven't fully put the dash area back together since I still have to hook up the sub-woofer and a few other things.

And considering how much cheaper it is than the Alpine etc. units - while being bigger, more powerful, more feature rich - I'm chuffed.

One big question I have is - I'd like to use the car's OEM mic which is used for mobile communication and voice command with the stock head unit - I'm sure the Aeropro kit allows this, but have no idea how to connect the mic up - has anyone tackled this before with ANY aftermarket head unit in a VF holden? The Joying does come with its own mic, but I'd rather not have extra bits and pieces poking out of the car if I don' have to.

Off hand i can't remember if the microphone plugged into the Aerpro box or the head unit . Either way all i did was run it behind the glovebox then run it up the window pillar behind the trim then to the lights in the headlining and hid the mic in the other spot opposite where the OEM mic is . I think i used some spongy double sided tape or something to hold it in that spot

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
That will offer much more than the stock mylink for sure.
But man, that does not suit the dash at all. In my opinion, of course.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
It must be nice to be Mylink free !!!

It would be nice if you could post a video with the vehicle settings screen and HVAC. The kit manual doesn't show much.

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore

I honestly think it looks quite good - in person - But that aside - Ii'd choose the functionality over a change in aesthetics - I'm a tech whore after all ;)
IMG_0650.jpg

It must be nice to be Mylink free !!!

It would be nice if you could post a video with the vehicle settings screen and HVAC. The kit manual doesn't show much.

Here you go mate - https://photos.app.goo.gl/tXZcr1M67gVCUpvw7

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

This.

I admire the effort made to do it, but it looks like what it is, an ipad stuck to the dash.

Even the pretty poor attempts in the earlier days of larger screens looked better integrated, my old C class as an example.
2021-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-interior-front-dash_o.jpg

I think these are going to date really badly though, like the "million button" interiors.

The game has very much moved on though. Check out the new EQS.

6MercedesEQSTGdrive.jpeg

djdante

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
rr5_025.jpg

Here is a floating screen on a 2022 range rover. The floating big screen is still a current modern trend - and tell me the Range Rover solution doesn' took like an iPad glued to the dash? - and yeah it may date over time - but that's not my problem right now though is it :p

Sure, I'd like a new EQS - if you'll lend me the $200k + heh - But yeah, that's SUPER sexy on the interior... I think they should fire the exterior design team however :'(

I'm not trying to say this is integrated as well as it is in a new $180k Range Rover - how could it be? It's aftermarket. And I only spent $1k

But if you have 3 options:

1 - stick with a crappy mylink system with maps that don't update - and you can't navigate by voice unless you have an exact address - and don't tell you where police are hiding - and integrates poorly with my iPhone.

2 - Spend $1k to jack apple carplay into the existing screen.

3 - Spend $1k for a considerably bigger screen with much higher resolution, much faster interface - and more functionality.

I just can't see the issue - Every friend who's seen it so far has already asked me what would be involved in putting that into their cars - so its not like people are hating it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
All of them look like huge 'distractions'...

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I just can't see the issue - Every friend who's seen it so far has already asked me what would be involved in putting that into their cars - so its not like people are hating it.
I like it.
And I can see that the price for the 8" and 11.4" are the same. Thought choice. Where did you get it from ?