Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just Installed CAI

dirte_dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Sedan
Hey Guys,

--2004 VY V6 S-Pack--

I just installed my own version of a CAI. I Cost me $55 for all parts. I picked up a CAI flexible pipe from AutoOne at Waitara (NSW) and some cable ties.

Basically i cut a hole right next to the stock intake hole in the airbox and connected up the flexi pipe stuff. I then ran that down in between the radiator and the engine to an opening at the bottom. I used cable ties to secure it so it will not move or touch any hot/moving parts of the engine.

I have not gone for a drive yet but will post more on differences and how-to if people wanna know. I am still also going to buy some mesh to protect from any incoming debris.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 250
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 257
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 228
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 230

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hope you don't live up in the hills :p One big puddle and that engine will stall ^_^ Nice work though. But that's just a biiiiit too low. lol

My CAI comes out at the front bumper, and I've still managed to flood my car :p

dirte_dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Sedan
Yeah thats the only thing I have been worried about. :whistling... What will happen if my engine floods? I really am not sure...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Well, it runs rough and then dies. Then you have to crank it over until it splutters back into life and run it under load until you burn all the water and it stops blowing white smoke.

Alternatively, you crack a head or somesuch.

Alternatively the car just doesn't start again, and you have to crank it over with the spark plugs out to vacate the bores.

I suggest, if you come to a "water crossing", just unclip your airbox so the throttle body is sucking air straight from the engine bay. Looks like you've still got the standard OTR intake installed though, so the engine should just draw air from over the radiator. In fact, it'll probably do that mostly anyway :p

dirte_dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Sedan
Just try somewhere like repco, AutoOne or autobarn. They are sure to have something.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Oooooh no, VERY expensive there. Grab the 20 metre roll levymetal, I had to. The stuff will come in handy one day :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Two seconds in bumper-deep water and it would still flood the airbox :/

dirte_dan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Sedan
Yes well lucky for me I dont have to do many water crossings around sydney lol. If I do I can temporarily disconnect.