Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just joined the orphan club

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Gday guys/girls!

so I’ve just bought myself a ZB RS wagon.....

I didn’t do a HUGE amount of research prior to buying because the car fitted my needs and I didn’t want to be influenced by emotion or biases related to the arguments over the badge and the history etc.

Ill say this though, I originally wanted to get myself a VF Calais as I think they look GREAT, the interior is pretty nice and of course, I wanted to buy Australian..... now, I’ll say this though, I’ve never owned nor even really driven a Holden before so I’ve had no idea what they were like. In my youth I had Japanese cars such as Datsuns, Mazda’s and Nissan’s. Recently in the last few years I’ve owned BMW’s whilst I was in Germany and upon my return I bought another BMW but it’s time to replace it and I’m now budget limited..... I LOVE the BMW drive quality, handling and power delivery. It’s just refined and tight. Sadly here in Aus it’s just too pricey to own one and save any money

So back to why I’m here. I wanted a nice, well appointed wagon to haul the fam and be comfortable.The VF was top of my list...... until I drove it......

Now I know this is a commodore forum so I will respectfully express my opinion but geez, man, wow. The VF feels loose, disconnected and boaty. The whole drive just doesn’t feel tight. Maybe it was the 5 examples I drove with less that 70,000km were all flogged out or something but they just felt rubbish compared to the BMW’s I’ve been driving (2014 530d msport and now I have a 2007 x3 3.0d msport)

so at one of the dealers they showed me the ZB and I’d never thought about them, had a similar opinion to the guys here who rubbish them for being non Australian and FWD. I thought “ok, I’ll go for a drive”..... well, far out. Talk about chalk and cheese. Refined, quiet and smooth, it’s what I was expecting the VF to be!

The RS is just a POV pack and nothing special but it’s everything I need but most importantly enjoyable to drive (in an appliance kind of way, we’re not talking about sports cars here).....

So I just wanted to get in touch with other ZB guys/girls and say Gday! Also, I feel you!

To the ZB haters, I totally get it and it shits me what Holden did to the brand too but that just can’t get in the way of what a great car this is...... especially at the prices they are.

so, Gday guys! Sorry if I’ve offended the old guard but I can’t lie!

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Ahhh who’s that? Why would you ask?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What VFs did you test drive ?

Also, Datsun / Nissan.....same same.

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
What VFs did you test drive ?

Also, Datsun / Nissan.....same same.

sure,

Well 2014/15 Calais wagons, 5 of them all under 70,000km.

the datto’s, 180b, 1600 and 120y.

Nissans - Pulsars of three generations,

Mazda’s - BK 3 MPS

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Was the above written by FZS1000?
I just looked at the other threads and saw what you mean.

No it’s not FZR. I’m just someone who likes the ZB and wants to find a place to find info on them going forward.

Have you driven one?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Like you I was keen on a VF, I was looking for something to replace my 2003 VY. I've had Commodores since the very start having owned a VB, VC, VL and the VY. My wife has a VE.

I couldn't find a VF with was low K's and about 12 months old, so looked I at the ZB.

I bought an RSV liftback and am really happy with it.

It is very sad with what has happened with Holden. No matter what, the next Commodore was always going to be the ZB, though originally it was slated to be built in Australia. Those that are ZB haters are directing their angst in the wrong direction. The car is a great successor to the Commodores of old.

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Agr
Like you I was keen on a VF, I was looking for something to replace my 2003 VY. I've had Commodores since the very start having owned a VB, VC, VL and the VY. My wife has a VE.

I couldn't find a VF with was low K's and about 12 months old, so looked I at the ZB.

I bought an RSV liftback and am really happy with it.

It is very sad with what has happened with Holden. No matter what, the next Commodore was always going to be the ZB, though originally it was slated to be built in Australia. Those that are ZB haters are directing their angst in the wrong direction. The car is a great successor to the Commodores of old.

Grea to hear you’re happy with yours, I haven’t actually taken delivery yet, next week for me. How long have you had yours?

What’s happened to Holden is absolutely a tragedy and sadly it seems that stops people from removing themselves from their emotions and accepting that this car is in fact, bloody good! No it’s not a rear wheel drive, not it doesn’t come with a v8 but man, what a great drive it is.