Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just joined the orphan club

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Comparing Calais to Msport is apples and bananas.
Is it? Isn’t the Calais supposed to be aimed at the BMW market?

Note I’m talking about msport models here, NOT M cars.... very different. Msport is like a trim level usually with sportier suspension but that’s about it.

comparing the Calais to a BMW is very relevant I would think as thats where they aimed their market at.

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
I am well aware of what MSport is.

which has nothing to do with

????????

Apples & bananas

ok then well even the standard 535i, 535d NON MSPORT models are still light years ahead of the VF..... sadly the VF is disconnected, boaty and handles like a shopping Trolley. The whole package is just so far behind anything it’s supposed to be compared to.

Ill ask you this then, if comparing the VF Calais to a BMW 5 series is comparing apples and oranges, what would you compare it to?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Agr

Grea to hear you’re happy with yours, I haven’t actually taken delivery yet, next week for me. How long have you had yours?

What’s happened to Holden is absolutely a tragedy and sadly it seems that stops people from removing themselves from their emotions and accepting that this car is in fact, bloody good! No it’s not a rear wheel drive, not it doesn’t come with a v8 but man, what a great drive it is.

I've had mine since September last year. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new car. There's plenty of good stuff you get as standard.

I think the AWD system Holden has used is probably better then rear wheel drive.

Sure there's no V8 but 235 Kw is still pretty good. It wasn't that long ago Holden was selling V8's of less than 200Kw.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
235kw is that at the crank or the the wheels?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
if comparing the VF Calais to a BMW 5 series is comparing apples and oranges, what would you compare it to?

Something at the same price point would be a good start.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I’m just someone who likes the ZB and wants to find a place to find info on them going forward.
Have you driven one?

Sigh ........... yes, I have ........... and I got criticised for what I wrote, not going into it again. It is all there in the ZB section.
I am sure it is a 'nice' car, which you will enjoy, poking around suburban Melbourne, but just take off the Holden badges.
If it had Vauxhall Insignia badges, it would have been a sales failure. If it had been built in Adelaide, it still would have been a failure.
It is just another car which does not excite me in any way, nor want to own one. In the same way as any other FWD imported car. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur.
Personally, my thoughts are anyone who buys a GM car/SUV/truck at the moment deserves all the luck in the world, along with our thoughts and prayers..
This thread will just degenerate, as usual, into another "I'm right, you're wrong" shitfight.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I’m just someone who likes the ZB and wants to find a place to find info on them going forward.

I'm sure the Holden sales people who frequent the ZB threads will help you out with this aspect.

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW Bora 4motion 2.8 VR6 24V
Was the above written by FZS1000?

kinda looks like it. But no.

I've become famous on the ZB section for all the wrong reasons....

Last edited:

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Something at the same price point would be a good start.

Oh I thought we compared them to what they were aimed at by Holden.

well what would be a similar priced car to compare it to then?