Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just joined the orphan club

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Surely Holden don't need either of those roles anymore.... :(
That’s what I would’ve thought but no, I’m a part of some dastardly conspiracy theory here to help the zb take over the world, one commodore forum at a time....

Ive got some tinfoil hats for sale for some of you guys..... made in Australia ;)

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Sure I can totally understand all of that, I don’t mean to be rude to the engineers who designed and built the Aussie commodores but (to me anyway) it’s just clear that they were either severely hamstrung by budget or equipment etc.... the result is just something that I would describe as agricultural in comparison to the euro stuff.....

Anyway, thanks for being kind enough to talk nicely.... seems like this place is a little hostile to those who dare to say the ZB is nice..... I mean, how dare we.
Agrcultural?Not really. Suited to our ordinary roads and long distances? Absolutely.
There is no other car or market in the world to compare our unique local product. Falcon and Commodore were arguably the best cars in the world for they had to compete with a myriad of imports designed with huge budgets to be world cars and I don't know of any other domestic market product faced with these challenges. The beauty of our local cars was the flexibility that the platform offered from Taxi to seriously quick muscle car. The fact you could have all the barge like comfort in Calais and then the hard edge sportines and relative refinement of the GTS truly is testament to the engineers involved with our local products. I look at cars like the Ford Territory and think what it may have become if a new generation was made as when they were released on the market they were unlike anything else in the world. They were big, powerfull, comfortable and handled way better than they should have with the basic architecture they had. The last of the Territory models would still handle way better than the current crop of family SUV's like Sorento, Santa Fe or the others.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I like your comments regarding the Territory :), it could have been a world beater, which it was back in 2004, but Ford stuffed it a bit with cost cutting like a frail front suspension, and an IRS that only just managed, giving it a bad reputation for problems.
But the current 2020 crop are catching up.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Certainly sounds like it,otherwise why would you be patrolling the threads of a forum for a car you hate, will never buy and want nothing to do with?

Honest question!

Coz I'm interested in cars of all types, old, new, domestic, foreign.

Doesn't mean I have to like them and/or what they represent.

What I do find interesting is how sensitive ZB owners (or prospective owners) are to an alternative view.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Says the guy who comes to a Commodore forum and $hits on the VF.... Kind of asking for it.

As has been said you compared the floatiest spec (Calais) against notoriously firm riding Msport Beemers, which cost twice as much.
Did you try an SS/Redline?

The difference with the Euro cars is they can build a very tight chassis and firm suspension without the harshness and our local product had never achieved this. I remember driving a BMW 3 series in or around 2000. It was a very hi spec model with all the available luxuries of the day and big for the time 17" wheels with low profile tyres. I was truly amazed at how comfortable this car was but how sharp the handling was and this is something the Euro's and especially BMW do very well. At the time it was an expensive car and small compared to the likes of the VT but world's ahead of the VT SS and also expensive VT Clubsport.
You can not compare Euro cars to our local cars and ZB is another story as it neither feels truly Euro or Australian but is in between and that is I suppose due to the Australian input in the suspension tune. It would be interesting to drive a Euro spec Insignia and a US spec Buick Regal to see how they all compare.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That’s what I would’ve thought but no, I’m a part of some dastardly conspiracy theory here to help the zb take over the world, one commodore forum at a time....

Ive got some tinfoil hats for sale for some of you guys..... made in Australia ;)

The whole Holden brand ambassador thing is a joke that has been floating around here for some time.

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
What I do find interesting is how sensitive ZB owners (or prospective owners) are to an alternative view.
[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting how sensitive YOU are to any form of criticism for the VF is.....

pot- kettle.......

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
The whole Holden brand ambassador thing is a joke that has been floating around here for some time.

Ah ok, well I’m new around here (as this whole thread was about, just to say hello) so I’m not up with the conspiracy theories or in jokes. Maybe I just need to be flamed a little more to fall into line around here..... I’m starting to understand though, don’t say anything nice about the ZB but more importantly, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE AUSTRALIAN BUILT PRODUCT.....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

I find it interesting how sensitive YOU are to any form of criticism for the VF is.....

pot- kettle.......
[/QUOTE]

No, not sensitive to criticism of VF.....I was just calling out an irrelevant comparison (Calais to Msport).