Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just put second set of splits in front!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
"Double power = 3db gain"......this means if you double the power going to the original set you'll gain 3db and wont have other issues like cancellation.

Im like a dog with a bone, i know... :)
Most of the time you're already running the speakers near their max power... Double that and they smell funny then stop working :p

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Most of the time you're already running the speakers near their max power... Double that and they smell funny then stop working :p

Haha :thumbsup: that's funny.
Sorry StoneX I thought you were telling me about the 3db gain thing. My Bad. Seems like everyone thinks it was a bad idea. O well :whistling done now.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
............ well I thought it was obvious :whistling now not too sure since you question it.

If you had the back speakers the same gain as the front speakers ... you wouldn't be able to hear the back speakers over the front because 1. you are closer to the front speakers and 2. a human ear hears the 180 degrees ahead a lot better than the 180 behind, you do most of your hearing in the front direction.......... so I hear anyway.

Umm, you don't adjust the gain on your amp for that, you use the "Fader" function on your head unit to adjust what you can hear from the rear and front.

I don't get it... How can 1 speaker produce the same volume as 2 speakers? How can 75x2=150 equal same volume as 75x1=75?? Wouldn't you get more volume from multiple speakers instead of just one?

Maybe I'm totally off ball, could someone explain please.

Why do people get 2 subs instead of just 1? they stupid or something? because the one sub will get as much volume as 2?

I only bought one sub for my old car. One very good sub as opposed to the 2 good Pioneer ones a mate had in his VN. Mine shat all over his. I had a JLW3V3 12" in a massive 90mm ported box i made myself, he had 2 Pioneer subs in a box he made. Mine shat all over his in terms of clarity and depth of the bass. More isn't always better.

In other words, quality instead of quantity.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Umm, you don't adjust the gain on your amp for that, you use the "Fader" function on your head unit to adjust what you can hear from the rear and front.

I only bought one sub for my old car. One very good sub as opposed to the 2 good Pioneer ones a mate had in his VN. Mine shat all over his. I had a JLW3V3 12" in a massive 90mm ported box i made myself, he had 2 Pioneer subs in a box he made. Mine shat all over his in terms of clarity and depth of the bass. More isn't always better.

In other words, quality instead of quantity.

I know quality is better than quantity, but when you can't afford quality (some new speakers) and not losing quality (by adding other speaker) .. quantity will have to do :p

I'd never have 2 subs in my car. I'm buying a single Orion HCCA 15.2 sub soon to replace my single Hifonic OLM2412.

Maybe I am a bit of a douche, but I had thought gain would adjust the amount of volts going to the speaker equaling more rms.

Could you explain the gain for me then? I am willing to learn.. and if you could, could you tell me why the gain was lower 0.8 in the fronts and 1.3 in the backs (exacly same speakers).

Edit: I forgot to mention... I got my stereo tuned at Alberts and they said they don't tune it on the head unit, they tune it on the amps. I thought this was weird .. but they are the car audio people.... one good point to that is, my battery died on me once and once the battery disconnected for a second .. resetting my headunit ... so in that way its good.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
when setting up levels between front and rear most people set the fronts higher than rears.

rears should be just for a little bit of fill in the rear.

You really want your sound stage in front of the listening position.

Easy explination to why is how many times have you been to a concert and stood with your back to the speakers???

you dont correct?

The sound when at a concert or watching tv etc is always in front of you. So why when driving would you have the sound behind you???

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
when setting up levels between front and rear most people set the fronts higher than rears.

Easy explination to why is how many times have you been to a concert and stood with your back to the speakers???

you dont correct?

The sound when at a concert or watching tv etc is always in front of you. So why when driving would you have the sound behind you???

True that! I made a mistake ... the 0.8 was for the rears and the 1.3 was the fronts. Since I have both at the front I went for 1.3 on both front and rear channels.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute

you dont correct?

Spot on Dan!!

I tune my rear speakers via the head unit so i can only JUST hear them, think of your rear speakers as "backups" providing a quieter backround tune, and your front speakers providing 80% of the sound.

No is saying you are a douche Deutscher, everyone has to start somewhere dude, you won't learn anything if you don't ask questions and opinions from people. Trial and error is the key. I am no car audio wizard by any means, but i learnt all the stuff i know from trial and error and many painful hours of swearing, anger and sore muscles from installing, reinstalling and messing around with car audio gear in my old car.

When i got my first car, i bought a head unit, some splits, some 6X9's, ONE amp, ONE shitty Pioneer sub in a PRE MADE box and asked STRATHFIELD to install it and run my splits, 6X9's AND sub off the one 4 channel amp LOL!!! Not to mention running 6X9's with a sub sounds shithouse anyway.

Much i have learnt since then.