Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just put second set of splits in front!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Howdy,
Just wanted to let everyone know. I have finally managed to get a second pair of splits in my VS commodore!
Now I have 2x Alpine Type R Splits (older version) in the front trims. I kinda expected more volume, but hey ... mite have a look at the amp. The fronts seem louder than the previous rears.

Ill post a pic once I get one.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Mobile Pic :thumbsup:

Dont diss my craftmanship skills! Im no professional installer!
Second tweeter is up near window visor.
Other speaker is in original door trim.

Attachments

• Splits.jpg
    Splits.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
oh my
i think a good set of splits would have bene the better way to go
adding a second set doesnt mean it makes it louder

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
oh my
i think a good set of splits would have bene the better way to go
adding a second set doesnt mean it makes it louder

Agreed. One good set will sound miles better than 2. I tried this once and found adding a second set just made the sound "muddy". Sure, put speakers everywhere if you want it for wank factor, just dont expect a good sounding system out of it

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
you obviously had a bit of money to spend if you got 2 sets of Type R's, i reckon you could have done much better, and without butchering your door trims like that...when you say it wasnt as loud as your expected, what kind of amp are you using, and how much power are you giving them. I'm not sure about the old model Type R's, but i know the new one's can handle in excess of 150rms each, despite manafuctuers claims...

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Unfortunately, people get these ideas in their heads from demo and show cars and think it will be great. More speakers does not mean better... I don't know how many times it needs to be said :bang:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Meh ... I had no money to use ... thats why I didn't buy better speakers ... the older type R's are rated for 70 or 75wrms. If I had money I'd gon wit some diff speakers (but I seem to be broke beyond doubt atm). I had an old pair of type R's laying around so thought I'd use them. All I got is 3 little holes now.. big whoop lol.

Edit: About powering them, I had my old Alpine V12 75x4 channel amp to power them. So the amp was half being wasted + the speakers were gathering dust :p

Edit 2: It actually sounds louder now after I adjusted the gain on the amp. The amp had the rear channels at a higher gain than the fronts (obvious reason), so I adjusted them to match the fronts.

Edit 3: It actually doesn't sound bad..... I actually wished I had money to buy newer speakers ..... mine are going on 2 years now :(

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
75W RMS speakers running at full tilt will make your ears bleed :p

Why not run the 2nd set in the rear, bound to be better than having 2 sets in the front??

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ive said it before, and i'll say it again.......give one set 150wrms and you should be happy ;) If not get your hearing checked cos man they gotta be LOUD!!!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Edit 2: It actually sounds louder now after I adjusted the gain on the amp. The amp had the rear channels at a higher gain than the fronts (obvious reason), so I adjusted them to match the fronts.
What's the obvious reason?