Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just scored a 1990 VQ 5L Statesman

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Just need to ask for any knowledge people have regarding what size rims i can put on it without it scrubbing, and then also about lowering it (i.e slightly lower but still a comfy ride).

Is there anything else i need to know about this car and engine (never had a 5L VQ before!)

captain_slow

Reaction score
The rolling diameter of the wheel has to stay more or less the same, tolerance last I knew was +/- 5% (but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) and I think you're allowed to go an inch wider and 2 bigger diameter, last time I asked someone. In doing that the aspect ratio of the tyre has to come down - bigger rim = lower profile tyre. The wheel sizes that's based on are the largest OEM fitment too

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Cut springs and run 20's

Or bags, your choice.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Low + big wheels on a VQ. Have fun with that scrub.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Just need to ask for any knowledge people have regarding what size rims i can put on it without it scrubbing, and then also about lowering it (i.e slightly lower but still a comfy ride).

Is there anything else i need to know about this car and engine (never had a 5L VQ before!)

any 20x8.5 35P rims will fit the rear BUT you must get the correct offset!!!!!

VQs (and VPs) have a narrower rear end to all other IRS Commodores so you need 35P 8.5s rear and 45P 8.5s front or even just 8s with those offsets. No scrubbing