Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JVC 2011 - 2012 head unit poor bluetooth audio quality

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Hi All,

I installed a JVC KW-XR816 into my VZ Clubsport back in March and for the most part I'm pleased with the unit. What I'm not so happy about is I receive a number of complaints from people on the other end of bluetooth phone calls saying I sound like I'm talking in a drain or other similar scenarios. Audio on my end is perfect. It seems to affect calls to mobiles more than landlines and it seems to be happening more frequently to the point where I can't call certain people anymore because they won't be able to hear me properly. I've tried making calls with the noise reduction on or off, makes little to no difference.

I'm using an iPhone 4S but the same thing happens with my old Sony Xperia Ray and iPhone 3GS too. The bluetooth pairing to any of my phones is rock solid. I'm using the external mic that was supplied with the unit, it's mounted in the A pillar just above my head.

I've spoken to JVC to see if they have an updated firmware for my unit but none is available.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across issues with the bluetooth audio quality on any of JVC's 2011 or 2012 head units and if so, were they able to resolve it themselves or did the unit have to be replaced.

Cheers,
Dave

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Have you tried to talk directly into the microphone, instead of talking away from it?

It may be as simple as re-positioning the microphone so that you speak directly at it, rather than relying on reflected sound to reach it.

I have heard of no issues with the JVC bluetooth.

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
I have the mic pointed directly towards me but it doesn't make a difference if I intentionally speak directly into it or lean well away from it.