Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K-Frame replacement

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Hey guys,

Picked up a new K-Frame for the VK yesterday - the old one is bent where the radius rod attaches, been that way ever since I hit a gutter (totally destroyed almost every component of the LH suspension too, only springs and shocks survived).

Now I can mount it in a day in the backyard I've no doubt - but only have a reasonably small trolley jack.

Given it's gonna need to take most of the weight of the engine, is the replacement do-able with just the jack and 2x axle stands?

Cheers,
- Chris.

(for the record, here's the result of the gutter incident... note that the radius rod was ripped clean out of the control arm!)

bentarm.jpg

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
well, it looks like you definately gave the gutter a good whack!!! you'll need to support the engine to drop out your front crossmember, either with a engine brace, a crane or a block and tackle...

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Yeah... did a fair job of it. Cost me a bit to repair, including getting the strut tower beaten back into shape and re-welded in one section!

So you don't think a trolley jack and bricks/wood would support it?

(or at least, be appropriate support?)

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
only if the engine was out... i've done a swap in the past, but pulled the engine out first, makes it a sh!tload easier... if you were to keep the engine in, you still need to support it somehow, by one of the ways i mentioned... if worst comes to worst, tie up the engine to a overhead beam or even tree branch (hey, i've seen worse) with a chain or seatbelt...

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Yeah - engine's gotta come out soon, but that's still a while off... I guess I can wait... though why wouldn't it work by supporting the front of the sump with a jack or bricks?

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
i guess it would work like that, but if you knock it when you're pulling the k-frame out from under the car you'll know about it...