Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N Air Filter Advice

VX Appeal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S-Pack
Hey guys, I recently bought my 2002 VX II S-Pack, it came with a fully installed K&N Air Filter, I don't know much about the air filters but after a bit of research I became familiar with the red cone shaped K&N air filter.

So I wanted to see what my "K&N" air filter was like and if it looked anything like the red cone.. I opened the bonnet and noticed the big black box with a K&N sticker on it, had a look inside and it's not as impressive looking as the red cone, in fact it's silver and flat..

So I was wondering if you guys know much about this;
- Is it really a K&N Air Filter?
- Is it a good quality one?
- Any other advice on it.

Here are some photos of it:

Sticker:
p9040020.jpg
P90400202.jpg

Whole Setup:
p9040023.jpg
P90400232.jpg

Inside of Box (1):
p9040021.jpg
P90400222.jpg
Inside of Box (2):
p9040022.jpg
P90400212.jpg

Intake:
p9040024.jpg
P90400242.jpg

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Its not a K&N Filter for a start, as K&N filters are red. Secondly, there are 2 different types of air filters. A pod filter (which is the 'cone' filter you speak of) and a flat panel filter (which is what you have). A panel filter fits inside you factory air box but lets a higher flow of air through. A pod filter is usually put on to replace you entire factory air box & filter, and is also illegal for road use and can get you defected should you draw the attention of a cop and he looks under the bonnet.

VX Appeal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S-Pack
Its not a K&N Filter for a start, as K&N filters are red. Secondly, there are 2 different types of air filters. A pod filter (which is the 'cone' filter you speak of) and a flat panel filter (which is what you have). A panel filter fits inside you factory air box but lets a higher flow of air through. A pod filter is usually put on to replace you entire factory air box & filter, and is also illegal for road use and can get you defected should you draw the attention of a cop and he looks under the bonnet.

Thanks for your reply, so it seems that the previous owner has just stuck the sticker on the air box? and is my current setup decent?

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Yep they have just wacked a K&N sticker on. I cant tell from the pic but it could be the equivilent of a K&N just in another brand, as its not a factory standard air filter. Your current set up is fine, looks like they have hacked away at the front air intake pipe in order to let some more air in which if it was me I would tidy up a bit so it doesnt look like a dog had a chew on it. lol. Unless you are planning some extreme engine mods you current air intake setup is about as good as you can do :)

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Thanks for your reply, so it seems that the previous owner has just stuck the sticker on the air box? and is my current setup decent?

My bet would be that he has bought the K&N Filter, got a sticker, then when he sold it to you, he removed it and put back in the standard. I'll do the same with mine, not giving away a $100 air filter with my car LOL

VX Appeal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S-Pack
Yep they have just wacked a K&N sticker on. I cant tell from the pic but it could be the equivilent of a K&N just in another brand, as its not a factory standard air filter. Your current set up is fine, looks like they have hacked away at the front air intake pipe in order to let some more air in which if it was me I would tidy up a bit so it doesnt look like a dog had a chew on it. lol. Unless you are planning some extreme engine mods you current air intake setup is about as good as you can do :)

Hmm alright thanks mate for your advice, very informative ;).
I'll get that intake pipe tidied up - just round/straighten the edges or cut it deeper or anything?

Thanks mate.

My bet would be that he has bought the K&N Filter, got a sticker, then when he sold it to you, he removed it and put back in the standard. I'll do the same with mine, not giving away a $100 air filter with my car LOL

Hey, this is possible but Macca86 says that it's not the standard air filter, my guess is - he bought a decent air filter but to make it look better, bought a K&N sticker and stuck it on the top haha. But this doesn't worry me as Macca86 has ensured me that it's a decent air filter.

Thanks guys.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Dont hold me to that, lol, its hard to tell from the pics so it may still possibly be just a standard air filter. And JSTCOZ's reasoning is pretty logical, he prob took the k&n out. personally I'd just go buy a K&N filter anyways and put it in & then you know right from the start :) . Also yeah just tidy up the edges of the intake, dont cut anymore out.

VX Appeal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S-Pack
Dont hold me to that, lol, its hard to tell from the pics so it may still possibly be just a standard air filter. And JSTCOZ's reasoning is pretty logical, he prob took the k&n out. personally I'd just go buy a K&N filter anyways and put it in & then you know right from the start :) . Also yeah just tidy up the edges of the intake, dont cut anymore out.

Alright mate, thanks again.. may upgrade the intake while I'm at it.