Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N filter worth the $120

GoogieMan

The Original GoogieMan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
hmm that reminds me i need to go and get a recharge pack...
i paid $130 for a k&n panel, but i was desperate for one and no other shop around me had any:bang:

personally i wouldn't bother with a k&n again, it was no better then a cheap $30 pod filter! kid you not, im one for noticing even the slightest differance in my car and nothing changed when i put the k&n in.

fight it as much as you like, untill i see actual results (meaning they tested it for at least 2 years in all differant aspects) dyno tests arn't valid imo anything can make the car read 1 more hp, fan, person doing the dyno test, condition of car, the weather (done on a real cold day apose to a real hot day, cold day will make it flick over 1 extra, but that is the only testing i've seen with the k&n and frankly it's not good enough.

don't waste your money a $30 POD will be as good.

Agreed you are only payin for the Name. only difference maybe k&n will last just that little bit longer.

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
WHAT DID YOU GUYS EXPECT???
The filter to provide performance?
Its there to filter air more effeciently!! Not to give extra horses!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
A good filter makes a little difference on the 5 liter but not on the V6. Also I think it's the WRX that uses the same filter so just order one from ebay USA and you can get one cheap as (for VN-VS)

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
hey guys just letting you all know at the moment there is 20% off all k&N filters at supercheap accross aussie, just incase anyone is wanting one, as it is a chance to save a few bucks. :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I remember reading an article somewhere, sometime by a group who had tested various filters under laboratory conditions (they used fancy sounding words and lots of numbers etc.. no seriously though, these guys HAD done their homework) and they found no significant difference between stock [paper] filters and K&N-style [oiled] filters in terms of power.

They noted that the oiled filters did flow better, but when used in the actual application, that is when used in a car, even a stock filter was much more than adequate and was not the restricting factor on flow. The biggest impedements to flow were things like the intake piping and the MAF (but don't take that a reason to start ripping out your MAF).

Without going to deep into it, I think you'd have to be making some very serious power to really get much gain out of having a K&N or similar.

With all that said, I have a K&N on mine (was about $80 from memory).

If you don't mind cleaning your MAF more often than you otherwise would, and if you have the money to spend then sure, why not? At least I know I'll never have to buy another air filter for this car.