Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K & N filter, worth the expense ?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Redline filters are an exact copy of a K & N filter, and half the price.

The only difference is the colour, they use the same recharge gear that K & N do.

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Redline the same ? Nice will check them out then. anyone else experianced using Redline and with what result ? Thanks again guys. that site with filter test data was a very interesting read thanks. Doesn't seem to be large differences by that data between any of the filters but K&N did come out tops but marginally.

Budah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Redline filters are an exact copy of a K & N filter, and half the price.

The only difference is the colour, they use the same recharge gear that K & N do.

whoa half price? my bro got a redline for a his xr8 and it ended up being only$20 cheaper than the k&n. where can you purchase the redline for half price?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've always run K&N filters, nerved had a reason to change them etc nd the've always worked well. worth every cent in my opinion:thumbsup:

ThongyVL

Reaction score
Website
www.thongysautoparts.com
Members Ride
97 VS Acclaim
I've only used K&N Filters... Noticed the difference, in pick up and gears changing smoother. If fitted with a supercharged CAI you will notice more difference in pick up, gear changes more smoothly. I can supply you a CAI for V6 for $48
V8 for $39

It is worth the money in my opinion for the K&N Filter.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Umm yep near enuf to half the price, about 80% - 90% cheaper from memory, but that's here paying tourist prices for the K&N, I bought the Redline up North near Townsville, I can't speak for other places.

Although the K&N recharge kit was bought here and was near the full cost of the Redline filter alone.

The oil used looks very similar to ATF fluid, heh in bike terms I always used K&N but Redline don't make em for bikes, the K&N always worked well in competition on and off road bikes fully covered in dirt and mud they still were good.

I ain't knocking the K&N filter as such, just stating a fact that they aren't cheap "here" for the commodore type.

The bike K&N filters were washed in fuel, and rinsed in premix fuel with a dash more oil bout 20:1 that's tossed out anyway or put in the mower, racing fuel makes a victa scream through the grass, the fuel evaporates off the filter and leaves an oily film, works every time.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you want to really really keep the dust out you use a foam filter like the uni filter almost nothing will get past it, the K&n flows better but lets fine dust go through. Paper ones filter pretty good too. I just use a foam or paper one unless I'm taking the car to the track then use a K&N with no oil on it and put the paper one back in before I drive home. In the end they wont give you 100$ worth of kw's

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
An old trick is to have only a wire mesh strainer to stop small rocks going through, then coat the inside of the airbox with a thin layer of grease, nearly all the dust sticks in the grease and your guaranteed 100% air flow.

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
yeah i noticed a slight diff but im guessin its coz mine still had the standard air filter in it and it woulda been stuffed after 220000kms but yea i rekon the $40 high peformance ryco filters would do tha same job and what ya dont really change ur filter dat often i paid 120 i wouldnt get 1 again unless it was 80 bucks oh yeah n redline filters can be found on ebay

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I got a K&N filter off ebay for about $100 i think, and a cleaning kit for another $20-30ish. To me, its not really worth it. I cleaned my paper filter, just with a tap and air gun, every 6 months or so, and changed it every year. I also mapped my fuel usage really closely and using a K&N filter did NOTHING for my VR commodore fuel wise. If there is a performance increase, I doubt it would ever be noticable. You would really need a BAD BAD filter to make the car perform differently. K&N's big promotion tool is the million mile warranty. They claim they will practically outlast the car. In my opinion, if you have a spare $130 (filter and cleaning kit easily cost this) use it to buy petrol. Thats easily 3 decent tanks of fuel. You will never come close to saving that much petrol with this filter. Some of the things you read about them put K&N with a lower airflow then a paper throwaway filter. That leaves the million mile warranty about the only thing that puts them in front of a $10 filter. If you dont plan to drive your VR/VS for the next 30 years, are you really going to get your $ worth?