Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K & N filter, worth the expense ?

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Hello all.
i found nothing directly posted about the pros and cons of the K&N panel filter.
I have got my CAI ready to go and just wanted to know if the K&N is justified at $100 odd. or just get cheaper ones and clean them regularly...

Your thoughts appreciated

Damon

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
the k&n ones are good ......but if u want a cheaper one that does jus as good job go for the unifilter highflow panel filter...... there 70 odd dollars :)

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
I hear the uni filters flow better, but dont retain dust as well. It is only hearsay though...

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
k&n filters are awesome you can really tell the difference with them on definatly the way to go ive got the panel filters with the cai's in both my vs's had a panel filter in my vt to keep them legal, but my dads hilux and my old vn both have k&n pods, pod gives you a lot more go than the panel will but the panel still is worth it more power less fuel :D

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
It sounds better, but seen no difference in power or fuel usage.

pyro_104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I can't compare a K&N panel with other types, because when I put in mine, it stayed in. I'm satisfied, and although the initial outlay is fairly high, you don't need to do any mods to get it to fit (as you would for a pod) and it lasts a long time. Same is probably true for others such as uni filters too. I know the K&N is doing the job because when I clean it (every 6-12 months) one side is filthy, the other is clean.

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
So would a K&N pod filter or a CAI with panel filter be best for get up and go ?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
CAI setup, legal; Unless you shield the pod, you'll lose power because it'll stuck hot air from the engine.

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
That makes sense thanks holden007.
will go with K&N and be happy knowing I have a real good quality filter in there.
Interior and door trims nearly finished being painted ( front door trims back on, interior panels ready to go back in.
Will eventually get photos up to get all your opinions on the small mods I have done interior wise, mainly paint scheme etc.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
bradcad said:
I hear the uni filters flow better, but dont retain dust as well. It is only hearsay though...

if u dont keep em oiled it wont retain the dust but other then that id probly choose the uni filter over the [email protected] i jus stuck in a unifilter in my vn 5L i rekon there beter ......but thats jus my opinion