Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N filter... worth it?

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
i can't honestly say that i did notice a big difference but with and exhaust and other mods it would have to do sumthing.

at work we have this k & n display machine....its designed to show the difference between ryco filters and k&n ones.

the machine itself consists of two fans and a box, the fans suck air through the front, where you put the filter u wish to test, the air is then push up a vertical tube in which is a ping pong ball.

when there is no filter on the front panel the ball goes to the top of its tube, eg zero restriction. when a ryco or valvoline filter is but on the box the ball suprisingly drops all the way to the bottom of the tube, eg ****e loads of restriction. with the k&n filter on the ball will return to the top of the tube, idicating that there is basically no restriction of air flow with the k&n filters.

this machine really does show that the filter must benefit the effiency of the intake of your car but if it isn't designed to suck in that volume of air the the k&n filters allow then really its of no benefit. however there should be some gains in a standard engine in responsiveness. i did notice this to some extent but not as much as i had hoped.

hope that helps troy

cheers
ryan

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I had one in my vt berlina and it made no difference whatsoever.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
yea it helps. cheers bloke

i thought those ball machines were a crock of **** though..?

nah they do work hey...i had a fiddle round with it at work the other day and theres a massive difference in air flow, it's amazing hey. not as though they are even rigged either coz i did it using filters off the shelf and not the standard ones that come wid it.

cheers
ryan

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
It doesn't show how good or bad their filtration is though?

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
ive had one in every car and will still buy one

basically found slightly better response and better reving mid range, in a vectra i had a pod k&n made the engine louder.
but also bought one cos they are more economically efficient.

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
put 1 in my ss, no differnce at all really, but in terms of servicing over the period most people keep there cars there is most likely a financial gain over the std filters as they get replaced with most services

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
Personally ive never had 1 tho my mate chucked 1 in his vu ute and yeh it did 'seem' to do something tho im guessing it was because the std filter he replaced was rather dirty

heres a link that u might wanna look at. im not saying that this is the be all and end all of what people should look at to consider and make their decision

http://www.chipmaster.com.au/page2.html

guess it comes down to if u are gonna replace the std paper filter quite often and the initial cost of the k&n filter

the other info ive read about k&n's is that u need to be careful not to 'over oil' them when u clean and service them as the excess oil can play silly buggers with mafs tho i only read about this with the old l67 supercharged ecotecs

anyway enjoy :thumbsup: